Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've had my Samsung Galaxy Ace since 2011 and it's battery life is getting poorer by the day so deciding to revert back to PAYG (£10 data deal on EE) and get an upgrade on this current model.

I don't mind the size being slightly bigger than the Ace, but looking for an improvement with memory. Not sure if it's the case for all Android phones but the lack of ability to save onto your sd card is utterly annoying.

Recommendations appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    I've had my Samsung Galaxy Ace since 2011 and it's battery life is getting poorer by the day so deciding to revert back to PAYG (£10 data deal on EE) and get an upgrade on this current model.

I don't mind the size being slightly bigger than the Ace, but looking for an improvement with memory. Not sure if it's the case for all Android phones but the lack of ability to save onto your sd card is utterly annoying.

Recommendations appreciated!
    Budget?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Budget?
    150, could stretch to 200.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm zoning in on the Samsung S5 - it seems to have positive reviews. Anyone using this handset and who can offer some comments would be great.

ReputationRep:
    at a budget of 150, the only option is the moto g4. Nothing else compares at that level
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Have you had a look at the Smartphone Buyers Guide on here yet? They've got some good recommendations on there.

The S5 is a good phone but it is 2 years old now... so it depends on how long you want to keep using it. For example, my S4 is 3 years old now and urgently needs upgrading to something newer!

I haven't had a look yet at what phones would be good at that price point, but if you look in the guide linked above there are some good options at low price points.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by longsightdon)
    at a budget of 150, the only option is the moto g4. Nothing else compares at that level
    Or, from here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...27&postcount=3

Gofre mentions the "Vodafone Smart Ultra 6". Looks like a very good phone for the price, though if you're not on Vodafone you'll need to unlock it. Doesn't cost much to get a phone unlocked though.
    I know of someone who swapped from a Samsung Galaxy S3 to the Smart Ultra 6 and they were very impressed with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Have you had a look at the Smartphone Buyers Guide on here yet? They've got some good recommendations on there.

The S5 is a good phone but it is 2 years old now... so it depends on how long you want to keep using it. For example, my S4 is 3 years old now and urgently needs upgrading to something newer!

I haven't had a look yet at what phones would be good at that price point, but if you look in the guide linked above there are some good options at low price points.
    Thank you for that, no hadn't seen it but will have a read of it.

Having considered Samsung as the primary manufacturer of my next phone, and using a Lumia 520 for work, interested in looking at Microsoft phones as it might be a different experience but a better one. It meets my requirements in terms of general usage, small selection of communication apps (WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook) and some games

My price is £200 that I've set aside but any thoughts on best phones from Microsoft would be great!

ReputationRep:

Having considered Samsung as the primary manufacturer of my next phone, and using a Lumia 520 for work, interested in looking at Microsoft phones as it might be a different experience but a better one. It meets my requirements in terms of general usage, small selection of communication apps (WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook) and some games

My price is £200 that I've set aside but any thoughts on best phones from Microsoft would be great!
    Honestly windows is dead. Moto G4 is the best for the money. Read a review for the Moto G4 and ull see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad

No worries I'd definitely have a look at that guide as there are some good phone in there

I haven't looked at Windows Phones to be honest because I haven't got much experience in the Windows Phone area - my friend has a Lumia 520 (I think) and she hates it and wants to switch to an Android. I haven't used Windows Mobile before either, because I like lots of apps, and the Windows Store doesn't have as many apps as I'd like, when compared to Android.
    Sorry that I can't help you there...

ReputationRep:
    Honestly windows is dead. Moto G4 is the best for the money. Read a review for the Moto G4 and ull see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, comes highly rated - do you have the phone yourself? Screen a big but use my work phone which is slightly smaller so wouldn't put me off massively.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, comes highly rated - do you have the phone yourself? Screen a big but use my work phone which is slightly smaller so wouldn't put me off massively.
    No personally I use a Nexus 6p. Recommended the G4 to a friend and he's extremely happy with it. I went from a 4.5inch to a 5.7inch device with small hands and use the 6p perfectly fine I seriously can't stress enough how good the G4 is for that value. Reviews don't lie.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I seriously can't stress enough how good the G4 is for that value. Reviews don't lie.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Gone for it. Purchased the phone, case and a improved charger for under £200 so delighted with that!

God, Samsung Galaxys are so annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Gone for it. Purchased the phone, case and a improved charger for under £200 so delighted with that!
    Fantastic! I wish you good times with your new phone :P
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Awesome! The Galaxy Ace is really old now (OS no longer supported for apps) so it's good that you've upgraded from it.

(Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    God, Samsung Galaxys are so annoying.
    My Galaxy S4 has an annoying trait, whereby it drops down to 2G networks despite a 3G network being available (and faster) in the same spot! Sometimes it goes from 4G straight to 2G, other times it goes from 3G to 2G - but in almost all cases, something better (i.e. 3G or 4G) is still available to use.
    Crazy phone... getting an LG G4 or G5 soon.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.