Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an acquaintance who has been sending me a bunch of videos like "Rapture 2016", "Why the Rapture Will Be In 2017", "Dream Of The Rapture" etc. I kind of found it to be a nuisance because for the people who aren't ready for the arrival of Christ it instills fear and makes them act out irrationally. Anyway there have been more and more events that are harbingers of the second coming. Are you excited or fearful?

ReputationRep:
    Nobody can know when the rapture will happen, the bible clearly says that. It's not something I would say I'm "excited" about. That would suggest that I find little value in our current life, whereas I think God has a plan for that too. I'm happy to be a part of it. I dunno if that makes much sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    Nobody can know when the rapture will happen, the bible clearly says that. It's not something I would say I'm "excited" about. That would suggest that I find little value in our current life, whereas I think God has a plan for that too. I'm happy to be a part of it. I dunno if that makes much sense.
    Yeah i think i do. I have been discussing this with someone, no one could know when the rapture is. He brought up the point that the Bible says that no one will know the day or hour, but they could know the season (i.e. the year)?

ReputationRep:
    No. There is no rapture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    I have an acquaintance who has been sending me a bunch of videos like "Rapture 2016", "Why the Rapture Will Be In 2017", "Dream Of The Rapture" etc. I kind of found it to be a nuisance because for the people who aren't ready for the arrival of Christ it instills fear and makes them act out irrationally. Anyway there have been more and more events that are harbingers of the second coming. Are you excited or fearful?
    Pretty sure they do that every year.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i think i do. I have been discussing this with someone, no one could know when the rapture is. He brought up the point that the Bible says that no one will know the day or hour, but they could know the season (i.e. the year)?
    I don't agree because with that logic, Jesus could have said "no man knows the day or hour or month or year or decade or century..." and keep going on and on with the units of time... I think he is just saying that only the Father knows when it will happen. I do think Jesus knows now as well (remember, Jesus gave up some of his attributes in order to live the human life and die for many). That's a side-topic. It also leads to the question, does the Spirit of God know? Can it know? When Jesus was talking about his father, was his spirit included in that? Are we even asking the correct questions? mystery.

ReputationRep:
    Is that when Jesus comes back? I'm Muslim but we believe in that too and every year people say it's gonna happen soon cos "all the signs are there" and I'm crapping myself because I'm not good enough for Jesus to come and judge me yet

Also the antichrist scares the crap out of me, dont google image search plz :eek: really not excited about seeing him nopenopenope nightmare material

But i dont think it will happen in our lifetime
    Though it still scares me at night :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Is that when Jesus comes back? I'm Muslim but we believe in that too and every year people say it's gonna happen soon cos "all the signs are there" and I'm crapping myself because I'm not good enough for Jesus to come and judge me yet

Also the antichrist scares the crap out of me, dont google image search plz :eek: really not excited about seeing him nopenopenope nightmare material

But i dont think it will happen in our lifetime
    Though it still scares me at night :lol:
    Muslims believe is rapture? Also I thought you guys don't believe that Jesus is God, therefore how can he be the one to judge you?

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe this is even a thread... people say that there are 'signs' every single year. It's ridiculous, it's not that there's more violence in the world now than in the past, rather we just hear about it more due to the media.

At any rate, I don't think the rapture will happen in our lifetimes. Or our children's. Or their children's. (In other words, what I'm saying is that it will never happen ). I think religions have an unhealthy obsession with the 'end times', why religious people choose to live in fear I don't know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonyeka)
    Muslims believe is rapture? Also I thought you guys don't believe that Jesus is God, therefore how can he be the one to judge you?
    We believe in Jesus coming back yeah
    Oh no he'll come back with this man named Mahdi and he and Mahdi will order us troops together and fight off the enemies and the antichrist. So obviously if you aren't good enough to become a soldier for Jesus and Mahdi and God and your faith is not strong enough then you'll be judged to be among the enemies. Cos only the righteous will stand by their side.

In the Quran it says
    "And when thy Lord said to the angels, 'See, I am creating a mortal of a clay of mud moulded. When I have shaped him, and breathed My spirit (roohee) in him, fall you down, bowing before him!" 15:28-29

So Jesus was given power by God, just as he brought the dead back to life. You could say "how does Jesus bring the dead back to life if only God can give and take lives?" But it is because God gave Jesus His powers and breathed his spirit into him and Mary. So just like God can judge us, so can Jesus to separate the good from the evil hope that helps - thats how i see it

ReputationRep:

Personally I cannot comprehend what the rapture will be like. I understand the concept God has given us of that moment but still it seems incomprehensible therefore I am neither excited nor fearful. Sometimes though when I hear disturbing stories on the news I pray, come back Jesus now and save us all from this evil.

I don't live my life being concerned about it. I think watching videos are usually quite disturbing because for some reason lots of them are focused on the anti-christ and the 666 thing and trying to instil fear. I believe in a God who says perfect love casts out fear and therefore there is no fear in him.

When the time comes I believe that God will have everything in hand for it concerning people who aren't 'ready'. God knows man's heart past, present and future, he goes before us so I trust Him.

I do agree though that there are so many signs that you could attribute to leading up to Christ's return, the main one being a spirit of anti-christ. This is the spirit that is against Jesus as being saviour and redeemer, the Messiah.

Just an aside to the above, I had a very clear vision the other week which gave me a realisation of eternity.

I had a picture of a blue summer sky literally broken open down the centre and rolled back to reveal a night sky above it full of the universe's stars and galaxies. I looked to the left and looked to the right and could not see an end, and we were suspended in a timeless zone relating to that eternity.I had the impression of how we are here for such a time as this. God ordained our steps and God is before us. God knows the beginning from the end as he is there. Everything is insignificant and yet everything has importance in its own context and what it relates to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Pretty sure they do that every year.
    That's the problem. If there is speculation of the end times every year that means it won't come (No one will know the day nor the hour), but the Bible clearly says that it will.

ReputationRep:
    https://youtu.be/deEAT1JaQ0Y

Judging by the track record of doomsday prophecies, I think we'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot believe that this thread is discussed by reasonable people. What is it about religion that makes apparently intelligent people believe such stupidity, just because it is written in an ancient book of mostly rubbish?

ReputationRep:
    Beaches be craycray

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.