The Student Room Group

I'm a year older than my class and feel awkward

I did a BTEC in ICT (and got an A*). This year I'm starting A Levels. My main issue is that because I'm doing my A Levels a year after my peers I'm going to be a year older than my entire class. I'm a shy person as it is but it will feel really weird being in a class of younger students. I'm also not used to changes (I've had the same people in my form class for 5 years). How do I get used to the change especially since I'll be 18 in a few weeks (since I'll in a way be an adult in a child environment).

I picked Drama, ICT and Photography if anyone cares.
Just pretend you're at a new school and treat it like that
The age difference really doesn't make a difference tbh. It's only a year. I've been through a similar situation where I was a year older than my class, but I didn't feel any different because honestly there isn't much of a difference in maturity. I wouldn't worry too much about being shy either, there will always be nice, outgoing people who will approach you first. I used to be pretty shy too and just let other people come and say 'hi' first. Trust me, it's not that big of a deal. You're just a bit nervous of the change. It'll pass, don't worry.
Dw i have been there.

Its not gonns b as bad as u think east
Reply 4
honest to god there were people in my AS year who i didn't learn were a year older until like the end of the year, you just don't notice
Reply 5
Original post by Squishy Pixelz
I did a BTEC in ICT (and got an A*). This year I'm starting A Levels. My main issue is that because I'm doing my A Levels a year after my peers I'm going to be a year older than my entire class. I'm a shy person as it is but it will feel really weird being in a class of younger students. I'm also not used to changes (I've had the same people in my form class for 5 years). How do I get used to the change especially since I'll be 18 in a few weeks (since I'll in a way be an adult in a child environment).

Over time you'll forget about it and realise that it really isn't a big deal. I was also a year older than everyone else.
Original post by Squishy Pixelz

You are making way too big an issue of nothing.

You will only be a few months older than some of them. Once you start and get used to them you will make friends and they wont care about you being from the year above unless you make an issue of it. If it counts for anything and you believe you are an adult whereas they are children, then I doubt you are mych more mature than them. If you are also superior due to your age then you have no excuse for not getting the top grades. Focus on your A levels and dont waste time worrying about stuff like this which is a waste of time and doesnt matter a jot.

Strange ste of A levels, have a think what you will do with them if you intend to go onto Uni.
Who cares just concentrate on your studies ,i look older than all my classmates had a full beard since year 9 haha
it's normal dont worry....there were a couple people in my school who were retaking and they were older....no one treated them any different. I also had a friend who had to be held back a year so he's actually supposed to be in the year above me..but i honestly forgot he was a bit older haha

Quick Reply

Latest