A serious question regarding 'Disabled Students Allowances' Watch

Poll: Should sufferers of ill mental health should be entitled to 'more' than you?
Yes, mental health issues are disabilities too. (5)
33.33%
I don't believe that mental health issues are really 'relevent' to one's academic ability, so no. (2)
13.33%
I don't know, because I don't know what effect a mental health issue could have on one's work (1)
6.67%
Doesn't depend on what the issue is? (7)
46.67%
Other... (0)
0%
thesard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
As you may know, there is a package called the Disabled Students Allowance which, theoretically at least, should help disabled students gain an equal chance of getting a degree as their 'intellectual counterparts'. For example, a sufferer of MS who requires the use of a wheelchair might recieve a computer, fre of charge, on the basis that they cannot get to the campus's IT suite.

I was wondering what you guys think of students with mental health issues who get this allowance? In fact, I was wondering if any 'fully abled' students ever felt a bit 'sour' because people who, for example, claim depression as a cause for their fluctuating marks are entitled to help, such as access to a mentor, or a free computer?

To be honest, I'm not sure if this is even as issue that bothers people who if it is even an issue.

Plus, an anonymous poll...

EDIT: not anonymous... realised I didn't know how to do it... doh!
DIPESH.V
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
i find it hard to justify really. *Most* disabilities are catered for e.g. buildings being disability friendly i.e. braille on walls, ramps, lifts etc

People with dyslexia/praxia have endless resources at their disposal such as mentors, extra classes for individual help.

We live in a society which strives to be equal, some aspects should be commended but at the end off the day, i feel Joe average is being left behind.
CJ
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Depends on the situation (plus the poll looks pretty anon to me :dontknow:)

Mental health issues are going to vary between different people... but on the whole, i've got nothing against anyone having extra help.
Just in the same way, say, I broke my leg and needed help around campus and with my day studies.

To segregate people is sometimes unfair, especially when money is mentioned, but I you won't find any problems from me as long as the money is being used fairly and not being misused.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (221)
28.01%
No (568)
71.99%

Watched Threads