Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could someone tell me the different between computing and ict in a-level ... maybe something about coursework etc.

:tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    I asked my friend who's just finished A Level computing and he said:

ict = using software, knowing what different types of software does, etc

computing = making software, knowing softwares in more detail, knowing hardware, knowing legislation, company procedures, etc

ReputationRep:
    Put simply, in ICT you learn to use software to it's full effect, in Computing you learn to make/understand software.

ReputationRep:
    ICT = A-level microsoft, outside of secretarial duties it has little relevance.

ReputationRep:
    in ICT you also do about social, moral and ethical implications of ICT which is pointless but oh well it's easy
    the second year seems better so far because theres one Business type module and one Technical type module and a big project (OCR)

(Original post by Thelfo)
    I asked my friend who's just finished A Level computing and he said:
    Hmm, didn't know you had to do legislation and company procedures. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is don't do ICT as I made that mistake. The mark schemes are horrendous and it's therefore pretty hard to get a good grade in the exams.

ReputationRep:
    For the LOVE OF GOD do A-level Computing if you have the option

ReputationRep:
    I don't do either, but I've also heard people complain that ICT mark schemes are too strict and complicated to get the grade you deserve on.

One of the reasons I'm not going to the sixth form attached to my school is so I can do Computing (that, and Further Maths).

ReputationRep:
    thanks - im gonna choose computing then

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, computing is the better choice. I found it incredibly boring but by the looks of it I would've found ICT even more boring. My teacher for computing sucked and I still got an A (for AS, although I doubt I've got any lower for the full A Level). Computing is more respected by universities too, as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karvel)
    For the LOVE OF GOD do A-level Computing if you have the option
    I did orginally choose Computing, but my college said that they are not running the course in September, so I'm having to do ICT instead...

ReputationRep:
    my sixth form dont do computing either so im doing it alone

ReputationRep:
    unlucky

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends on what you want to do to be honest, personally i think ICT is more valuable in terms of being able to know how to use a computer rather than knowing how to construct one.

Computing= Computer Technician
    ICT=knowing how to use a computer, more effective get you a better job, in the real world employers want you to be able to comprehend with technology rather than knowing how to construct it. Computing does not offer any of that. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Business Man)
    I guess it depends on what you want to do to be honest, personally i think ICT is more valuable in terms of being able to know how to use a computer rather than knowing how to construct one.

Computing= Computer Technician
    ICT=knowing how to use a computer, more effective get you a better job, in the real world employers want you to be able to comprehend with technology rather than knowing how to construct it. Computing does not offer any of that. :rolleyes:
    I don't need an A level to know how to use MS Office. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    I don't need an A level to know how to use MS Office. :rolleyes:
    You certainly do if you want to get yourself recognised in the technology employment industry :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    But why have an A-level in how to use Microsoft Office and knowledge of Health & Safety/Data Protection legislation?? (Difficult concepts to understand, I know)

Utterly ridiculous.

GCSE ICT I have no problem with (aside from the screen-shot frenzy that is the coursework), but the A-level is just.. laughable.

ReputationRep:
    Go for computing !!!

I always think of it that Computing is about making the programs you IT people are only just learning to use :p:

Basically, you do everything you would technically based within IT in Computing but on a higher level, it's just a much more reduced version of IT's boring stuff. You still do things like Data Protection Act and Copyright and Patents etc. But its more actually about stuff you NEED to know :p:

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.