Like do you agree with these laws:
    - with cutting off the hand off the thief
    - homosexuality being illegal and punished
    - non-Muslims paying the jizya
    - all women having to cover their hair
    - apostates being punished/killed
    - rapists punished by death
    - murderers punished by death

Do you think we should have Sharia law in the UK?

(I am genuinely curious because there aren't any Muslim people where I live and therefore I don't know much about what young British Muslims think about Sharia Law)

ReputationRep:
    Sharia law is very much open to interpretation and no specific laws are specified. I don't agree with any of those laws. I don't think we should have Sharia in the UK since it isn't really a Muslim country

ReputationRep:
    I dont agree with any of those laws, they're extreme interpretations of sharia law and even with those extreme interpretations there are many many conditions that have to be met to warrant such harsh punishments (which I disagree with and think are unnecessary)

And no imo (and what seems to be a widespread opinion among the muslim community I see around me) it's laws of the country > sharia law

If what you believe in does not fit the laws of the country (i.e. you believe that women have to cover and for example you live in france thats seen as unacceptable in certain circumstances) then that's your own problem and you have to leave and find somewhere that's more accepting. If you can't leave you conform to their rules (for example dress more modestly but not be fully covered). Simple.

ReputationRep:
    The only corporal/capital punishment I agree with would be for the murderers and maybe for the rapists. Although that's more because of emotional personal reasons I have towards these crimes.

I don't think we should have it here mainly because Muslims only account for 5%.

ReputationRep:
    Muslims are all terrorists if they believe that....
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm messing with you, all those enraged people CHILL(I'm Muslim myself) Just wanted to know your reactions...

ReputationRep:
    I doubt Muslims actually believe in these kinds of laws lol

Those 'laws' aren't extreme interpretations because they're within Islamic scripture and you'll find many Muslims that would passively agree with them.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting how the ISOC members aren't responding to this- perhaps they have something to hide from us non-Muslims

ReputationRep:
    Muslim ladies do not have to cover their heads. I repeat they do not have to cover their heads. In the Quran, nowhere does it explicitly say the quote they must cover their heads. What it does say is for them to cover their modesty with a khumir (something along those lines). Khumir in Arabic very literally means a cloth which can be used to cover something eg a chest, if we're talking about modesty for example.
    The Quran was set in a time in the Middle East where it was very hot and women wore burkas and the alike as an aid against the sandstorms and the heat. These notions though have since been passed down by generations and (male) "scholars" have taken this interpretation about modesty in the Quran to mean to order ladies around and brainwash them into wearing burqas and niqabs and head scarves. When in actual fact if you go back to the Quran and even read it word for word, it does NOT say at any point for females to wear a hijab.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    IMO Sharia law doesnt include killing, stoning for minor/major things etc all those things. No where in the Quran does it say about stoning someone if they did something you didnt like or felt like was against Islam. What it actually teaches us, is how to be a kind citizen i.e respect elders, help the need and forgive. Basically it what the prophet (pbuh) did/taught.
    Religion is between that person and Allah so I dont see it as a right thing for someone else to intervene and punish them in that sort of way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FemaleBo55)
    how to be a kind citizen i.e respect elders, help the needy and forgive. Basically what the prophet (pbuh) did/taught.
    muhammad was a peaceful, merciful and kind person?

next joke

your 'prophet' was a brutal warlord that had sexual relations with underage children and spread his religion by sword, get over yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boss_Rhythm)
    Muslims are all terrorists if they believe that....
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm messing with you, all those enraged people CHILL(I'm Muslim myself) Just wanted to know your reactions...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawyer3c)
    get over yourself
    It might be be a good idea that you heed your own advice friend.

ReputationRep:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.