Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nobody likes to be judged but everyone likes to judge. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why do people say 'Don't judge me?'. Almost like they feel its their define right not to be judged. Guess what people are going to judge you whether you like it or not.

Also, I bet you're going to judge people too. Can anyone out there really tell me they've never judged anybody?

If you have the attitude of 'don't judge me' then you cant judge anybody else otherwise you're a complete hypocrite.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like its our nature to recognise appearance and behaviour and instantly label it so you know what this person/ thing is like... i.e. judging.

But I think what those who say "don't judge me" are trying to get at is "dont make faces at me, and tell me what you do and dont like about me"

Basically keep it to yourself, even if you dislike what someone is doing or wearing you don't have to be rude about it or mention it at all... it shows respect for that person's freedom to do whatever they wish (within the law).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)

it shows respect for that person's freedom to do whatever they wish (within the law).
    Right so its ok to judge someone if they only break the law?
    Also what law are you referring to?

For example it is against the law to be a homosexual in many countries but I know you would not say its ok to judge someone who is homosexual.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I think the phrase is used more as satire rather than in a serious context. Like if I'm eating an entire bucket of KFC and I'm with my friend, I'd be like "don't judge me" but of course I know he thinks I'm a greedy piece of ****. Everyone judges others, be it consciously or subconsciously.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, fair enough. I personally don't mind it that much when people do it openly, as it gives me a chance to reply in some way.

ReputationRep:
    I realise it, I know its wrong, but I still do it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Everyone does it, but I think people who usually say "don't judge me" say it to people who are being rude about it.
    But then it's the case of would you rather someone judge you behind your back or to your face.
    Or would you rather they keep it in their head
    I think when people say "don't judge me" they want the latter

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annoyed20)
    Right so its ok to judge someone if they only break the law?
    Also what law are you referring to?

For example it is against the law to be a homosexual in many countries but I know you would not say its ok to judge someone who is homosexual.
    Like if someone left their baby in a hot car for 40 mins and killed it, I think it's fair to judge.

Whatever legal law you're living under I guess. The world isn't all pretty and accepting and tolerant like it is here. Even in 'free' countries there are homophobes. Sure I think it's absurd to judge someone for who they love, but just like homophobes don't have a place in our society, homosexuality doesn't have a place in theirs.

It's like going to saudi arabia as a woman and walking around in a bikini, I don't think people over there would be too happy about that and they will judge you. Whereas if you did that over here, no one would give a ****. Just like how in France you get looked down on and judged if you cover up, but in saudi arabia that's the norm.

It's different societies, different lifestyles, different law. Also usually people tend to judge what they aren't used to or don't know much about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.