Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Calving/where the sun don't shine/dairy farm watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be working at a dairy farm for another two weeks but have only done milking.

Should I ask to do other things like- calving, injecting? anything else

Should I be seeing artificial insemination.

How would all of this experience contribute to my interview at university and what do they ask you in relation to your dairy experience?

Daibhidh

PS. PM me any of your answers if you don't want to write them aloud and any personal statements with experience on it are gravely welcome in PM.

If it means anything, I want to go to Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, while I think universities would welcome a wide variety of experience with t'cows, they understand that some stuff is seasonal (I have no lambing whatsoever, not living near any sheep, and it's in term time), so if you happen to be unlucky with your timing, it won't be a black mark against you.
    I did a week's milking before applying, no-one asked me about what I did, but London specified another week's experience with cows as entrance criteria.
    If you're worried about about getting the variety, why not ask the farm if they call you if they need an extra hand doing anything more interesting?
    Hope this helps
    Angharad

ReputationRep:
    You might be lucky and see/ help with ca;ving, but most cows dont need help. I helped with one, but wasnt too exciting! Just do what you can. I generally did herding and milking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzy_vet)
    You might be lucky and see/ help with ca;ving, but most cows dont need help. I helped with one, but wasnt too exciting! Just do what you can. I generally did herding and milking.
    Sorry a little off topic - but good luck Suzy for Thursday - Im sure that you will be fine...Let me know how you get on...M

ReputationRep:
    what a pleasant thought...

ReputationRep:
    I went out on a cow caeser that was quite interesting! Thats the only cattle experience I have *so far* xxx

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 19, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.