Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which A-Levels should I pick? Plan on studying PPE at a top 5 RG Uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, new to TSR so sorry if this is the wrong place.

I want to Study PPE at University, hopefully at Oxford, Cambridge, LSE or IC, and would like to know if these A-Level choices sound okay.

A-Levels:
    Psychology
    Economics
    Mathematics

AS Levels:
    History
    Physics

Chose them the other day, but I'm already having second thoughts. Does this sound alright? I'm thinking of swapping Psychology and History, and although I didn't do History at GCSE, I love the subject and read about it a lot in my spare time.

GCSE Results:
    Eng. Lang - A
    Eng. Lit - A
    Mathematics - A
    Physics - A
    Biology - A
    Chemistry - B
    RS - B
    Computer Science - B
    Business Studies - B
    Further Mathematics - C

Not the best, I know, but I'm going to buck my ideas up for A-Level

Thanks for reading lads!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chazzzo)
    Hey, new to TSR so sorry if this is the wrong place.

I want to Study PPE at University, hopefully at Oxford, Cambridge, LSE or IC, and would like to know if these A-Level choices sound okay.

A-Levels:
    Psychology
    Economics
    Mathematics

AS Levels:
    History
    Physics

Chose them the other day, but I'm already having second thoughts. Does this sound alright? I'm thinking of swapping Psychology and History, and although I didn't do History at GCSE, I love the subject and read about it a lot in my spare time.

GCSE Results:
    Eng. Lang - A
    Eng. Lit - A
    Mathematics - A
    Physics - A
    Biology - A
    Chemistry - B
    RS - B
    Computer Science - B
    Business Studies - B
    Further Mathematics - C

Not the best, I know, but I'm going to buck my ideas up for A-Level

Thanks for reading lads!
    i'd do History, Economics and Philosophy/RE (its relatively easy and relates to your degree) with Maths as your AS. you would struggle to do really well with another subject, especially Physics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Razamataz666)
    i'd do History, Economics and Philosophy/RE (its relatively easy and relates to your degree) with Maths as your AS. you would struggle to do really well with another subject, especially Physics!
    Thanks for responding!

I'm not sure about doing Philosophy as an A Level, as Psychology is generally more respected. Also, my sixth form is forcing me to do two AS, one on my first year, one on my second. What if I do both Maths and Psychology to AS, and Economics, History and another subject as A levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Razamataz666)
    No, OP should do a full A Level in Mathematics. Talking to Economics tutors, they consider it close to essential. History might be better than Psychology as the third A Level; see https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...rements?wssl=1.

Gavin

ReputationRep:
    Maths is necessary for some PPE courses, and history is a very highly respected subject, especially in PPE applicants. None of the others are especially sought after and are not required subjects.

I would choose ones that are linked to the couse (although they don't have to be directly linked, such as economics). Physics doesn't seem very relevant to me, and psychology is sometimes seen as a bit of a soft subject. But if you have maths and history, I don't think you need to worry about what your third option is, because you'll already have a strong set of alevels.

ReputationRep:
    imperial does not do PPE.. it's a STEM university

ReputationRep:
    I'm going for PPE too! Looking at the data, the top chosen subjects for Oxford entrants are Politics, Economics, History and Maths (which is what I'm doing). History and maths are the only things that I would deem necessary, most unis don't "require" anything but Oxford and others recommend these two. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter. Economics is obviously a fitting choice but psychology would be just as good,.

Though I'm confused, are you planning on taking subjects to only do at AS? Because with the exception of a few subjects like Maths and Politics, the new changes to A level means there is no official "AS" and only the end of year 13 exams really matter. I'd honestly recommend doing 4 and just sticking to it because dropping most subjects would be pointless.

ReputationRep:
    you need to check the entry requirements. I don't what LSE require for PPE but I know they want Further Maths for Economics so Maths A level at least will be necessary I would guess

ReputationRep:
    I want to Study PPE at University, hopefully at Oxford, Cambridge, LSE or IC
    I can't advise you on A level choices, but there's a couple of things to note regarding your university choices. Oxford place significant emphasis on GCSEs during the application process, and most applicants will have lots of A*s; even if your AS levels turn out to be great, you'd likely be rejected from Oxford, so I wouldn't advise applying there. If your AS UMS is high (average of above 90%), then I'd suggest applying to Cambridge. Additionally, Imperial College doesn't offer PPE at all.

Finally, in regard to LSE, they seem to specify an A* in Maths (leading to a total offer of A*AA). That offer may be reachable without that requirement, but, as you 'only' got an A in GCSE Maths, I'd perhaps advise avoiding this university as well. It's clear that you'll try harder at A level, but an A* at A level will be a challenge even to those who found GCSE Maths incredibly easy, and LSE wouldn't be lenient if you got another combination of A*AA.

I realise that I've pretty much warned against every university that you've listed for different reasons - there's nothing wrong with being ambitious, but choose where you apply very carefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctorwhofan98;67277142 Oxford place [i)
    significant[/i] emphasis on GCSEs during the application process, and most applicants will have lots of A*s.
    I understand this, and while I know they aren't that good I do feel I under-performed greatly because of depression, and have doctor's note and such to prove this. I hope things will be better in Sixth Form, though. Thanks for the heads up anyway, mate.

ReputationRep:
    I understand this, and while I know they aren't that good I do feel I under-performed greatly because of depression, and have doctor's note and such to prove this. I hope things will be better in Sixth Form, though. Thanks for the heads up anyway, mate.
    Ah ok - make sure your referee mentions your extenuating circumstances in the UCAS reference then, as that's the only way universities will be able to find out about it and consider it.

ReputationRep:
    Maths
    Further Maths or Physics
    History
    Economics

ReputationRep:
    I hate the people on this website.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    I hate the people on this website.
    ??

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.