Can I become a doctor with these GCSE grades? Watch

londoncalling123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

I recently received my GCSE results and I'm worried that they're not good enough for me to be able to become a doctor. If anyone has any advice on how I could still become a doctor I would really appreciate it.

I got Bs in Biology, Physics and Chemistry (but I was very close to an A in Chemistry so I'm getting it remarked). I also got an A in maths and A*s in both English lit and Lang. (I also got 3 other GCSEs).

At the moment I'm thinking of taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths for A level and English Lit AS.

I'm also a member of St John's Ambulance and have done a weeks work experience in a hospital.

I'd really appreciate any help or advice
AdeptDz
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
get more experience, write a killer PS then smash your A-Levels (AAA+) apply to top medical schools and hope for the best

But check medical school gcse requirements online
There's also a tSR article about this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ultimately you'll need to have a brilliant PS, and high UKCAT/BMAT as well as good AS's (if you'll do them) and good predictions to show you've progressed from GCSE. Best of luck 🙂
hazybubbles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
GCSEs don't mean that much when you are applying to uni, as its mostly your predicted A level grades they are interested in. However GCSEs do indicate what it is likely you may achieve at A level. Students with B grades at GCSE in science often find the sciences incredibly difficult at A level. Remember a B at GCSE shows you got about 50-55% of a higher tier paper correct. At A level you would be likely to come out with C/D grades. You are going to have to work incredibly hard and expect a massive jump up to AS level. Make sure you are getting regular, realistic updates from your teachers about the grade you are working at and have back-up plans thought out from the beginning.

It IS possible for you to get the grades you need, but expect it to be a tough ride! Good luck with your studies.
casi12345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was wondering if I could become a doctor too-4a*, 4a's and 3b's at gcse and doing biology, chemistry and music at a level.I have no work expirience.
SarangYongya
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Did you apply for medicine, if yes did you get any offers?
(Original post by londoncalling123)
Hi,

I recently received my GCSE results and I'm worried that they're not good enough for me to be able to become a doctor. If anyone has any advice on how I could still become a doctor I would really appreciate it.

I got Bs in Biology, Physics and Chemistry (but I was very close to an A in Chemistry so I'm getting it remarked). I also got an A in maths and A*s in both English lit and Lang. (I also got 3 other GCSEs).

At the moment I'm thinking of taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths for A level and English Lit AS.

I'm also a member of St John's Ambulance and have done a weeks work experience in a hospital.

I'd really appreciate any help or advice
jasonsmith17
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Biology isn't that big a problem but you'll definitely need an A in chemistry at A-level. Your St John's ambulance volunteering is good but you need to do it for an extended period - 18 months is average. Otherwise working in a retirement home is good - develops your bedside manner and the soft skills you're not taught at medical school. You can download past papers for the BMAT tests.
Chrysoberyl Rove
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
so u mean u can go for medicine if u haven't taken bio in A levels but chem?
(Original post by jasonsmith17)
Biology isn't that big a problem but you'll definitely need an A in chemistry at A-level. Your St John's ambulance volunteering is good but you need to do it for an extended period - 18 months is average. Otherwise working in a retirement home is good - develops your bedside manner and the soft skills you're not taught at medical school. You can download past papers for the BMAT tests.
Melissa_wegg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes, it sounds weird but most medicine universities only require chemistry and one of biology/physics/maths but I think chemistry and biology are best as the medical industry can be very competitive.
(Original post by Chrysoberyl Rove)
so u mean u can go for medicine if u haven't taken bio in A levels but chem?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (1105)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.96%
It was TERRIBLE (294)
12.42%

Watched Threads