Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I heard recently from a friend that its possible to apply for a university course using the results from a foundation degree/year. Does anyone know if this is true or not? If it is, how would it work?

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression though that at most uni's if you complete a foundation course it automatically qualifies you for entry onto the degree program at the same institution?

It's probably best to speak to the individual universities for their requirements, they'll also probably take other things into consideration too including work history etc.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean a foundation year on a full degree programme (so the course is 1 year longer) or a Fd degree (which is 2 years then you do a degree topup for 1 year) ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ked95)
    Do you mean a foundation year on a full degree programme (so the course is 1 year longer) or a Fd degree (which is 2 years then you do a degree topup for 1 year) ?
    I meant foundation year rather than degree.

ReputationRep:
    The Fd year is to get you up to speed with everything to allow you to do the full degree. I know someone who did zoology with a fd year, everyone who passed the Fd year is now doing the full zoology degree, I agree with Clur though it should be automatic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerl98)
    I meant foundation year rather than degree.
    A Foundation *Year* is attached to a specific degree course and is intended to prepare you for that specific degree. It isn't intended to be transferrable. Depending on its content (which can differ greatly between unis, even for degrees with the same title) it might be possible to transfer to a different uni after you complete. However as previous posters have said, the normal expected outcome if you pass, will be to progress to the full degree to which the Year is attached.

Don't make plans based on transferring after a Foundation Year. My undergrad uni ran them and several people tried to transfer away after they passed it. None of them found another uni which would accept them onto their degrees, and they had to stay put.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.