Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

?Let's value old players at current market rates? Watch

ReputationRep:
    BUT!!!!

You have to explain why you've come to your valuation.

I'll start : Pogba vs Keane. Pogba cost 90m, and he is box to box with no consistent ability to win games. Keane was the one man who "frightened " Fergie. Keano won Champions League semis on his own, vs Juve...

"We didnt lose a player there and then, but it was like playing with 15. He had the bit between his teeth and game over" Fergie on Keane vs Zidane/Davids after his booking which ruled him out of the final.

Pogba is 22, Keane at 22? I'd prefer Keane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    BUT!!!!

I'll start : Pogba vs Keane. Pogba cost 90m, and he is box to box with no consistent ability to win games. Keane was the one man who "frightened " Fergie. Keano won Champions League semis on his own, vs Juve...

"We didnt lose a player there and then, but it was like playing with 15. He had the bit between his teeth and game over" Fergie on Keane vs Zidane/Davids after his booking which ruled him out of the final.

You haven't actually put a value on Keane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    BUT!!!!

Keane is obviously the superior player, whichever way you look at it.

But he doesn't have the look, the marketability or the longshots. So, it is what it is.*
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Alan Shearer when he left Blackburn would have gone for £80m in today's market easily.

A 26yr old striker in his prime, who'd just had an excellent Euro 96 tournament and had scored over 30 goals in each of the last 3 Premier League seasons. Just for comparison, only five players have managed to do this in the 20 years since then (Kevin Phillips, Luis Suarez, Robin van Persie, Theirry Henry & Cristiano Ronaldo) and nobody has done it twice.

As well as being the most expensive player in the world, he came 3rd in both the Ballon D'Or and FIFA WPOTY (when they were seperate awards) that year and would have easily made the World XI had it existed at the time. He was still banging them in well into his 30s despite two serious ACL injuries. Most players don't recover from one, just look at Falcao.

Just to put it into context, Newcastle's turnover in 96/97 was £41m. So Shearer at 15m cost around 40% of turnover. Chelsea's turnover in 14/15 was £314m, so it's like them spending £120m on a player.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.