Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, everyone. As a gay teen I found high school fairly isolating when it came to relationships. There were a handful of people out at my school (about 4) who I was friends with, but there wasn't really anyone I was interested in because the options weren't really there.

I'd like to know if those who are LGBT+ and at college have found it easier to find and connect with more people within the community after moving to a different environment. I know you can't tell me if I'll find anything romantic in college, but I'd just like to know if it gets better.

Edit: I'm talking about college, not university. I live in England, not in America. My secondary school had "high school" in it's name, which is why I said high school.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I am not gay, however I lived with 3 gay people in my first year at university. They all loved university due to the sheer diversity, I didn't even know but they have their own little groups around.

If you go somewhere developed, you will have no issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WolfGangPro)
    Personally I am not gay, however I lived with 3 gay people in my first year at university. They all loved university due to the sheer diversity, I didn't even know but they have their own little groups around.

If you go somewhere developed, you will have no issue.
    Thank you for the response, but I'm talking about college, not university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsbillie)
    Thank you for the response, but I'm talking about college, not university.
    My apologies, assumed you were american due to the fact your referred to secondary school as "High School"

I went to 6 form, sorry bud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsbillie)
    Hey, everyone. As a gay teen I found high school fairly isolating when it came to relationships. There were a handful of people out at my school (about 4) who I was friends with, but there wasn't really anyone I was interested in because the options weren't really there.

I'd like to know if those who are LGBT+ and at college have found it easier to find and connect with more people within the community after moving to a different environment. I know you can't tell me if I'll find anything romantic in college, but I'd just like to know if it gets better.
    American? Oh god, depends where you are as LBGT acceptance is 50/50 in USA. In UK, where I live in South East there are minor homophobic but not much, they don't talk to you but don't dislike LBGT. (Most conservative place in UK)

ReputationRep:
    Well if there is a society you can join you might meet people but if not its harder as some people aren't as open about their orientation.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.