Being gay at college?

Watch
itsbillie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey, everyone. As a gay teen I found high school fairly isolating when it came to relationships. There were a handful of people out at my school (about 4) who I was friends with, but there wasn't really anyone I was interested in because the options weren't really there.

I'd like to know if those who are LGBT+ and at college have found it easier to find and connect with more people within the community after moving to a different environment. I know you can't tell me if I'll find anything romantic in college, but I'd just like to know if it gets better.

Edit: I'm talking about college, not university. I live in England, not in America. My secondary school had "high school" in it's name, which is why I said high school.
WolfGangPro
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Personally I am not gay, however I lived with 3 gay people in my first year at university. They all loved university due to the sheer diversity, I didn't even know but they have their own little groups around.

If you go somewhere developed, you will have no issue.
itsbillie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by WolfGangPro)
Personally I am not gay, however I lived with 3 gay people in my first year at university. They all loved university due to the sheer diversity, I didn't even know but they have their own little groups around.

If you go somewhere developed, you will have no issue.
Thank you for the response, but I'm talking about college, not university.
WolfGangPro
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by itsbillie)
Thank you for the response, but I'm talking about college, not university.
My apologies, assumed you were american due to the fact your referred to secondary school as "High School"

I went to 6 form, sorry bud
ckfeister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by itsbillie)
Hey, everyone. As a gay teen I found high school fairly isolating when it came to relationships. There were a handful of people out at my school (about 4) who I was friends with, but there wasn't really anyone I was interested in because the options weren't really there.

I'd like to know if those who are LGBT+ and at college have found it easier to find and connect with more people within the community after moving to a different environment. I know you can't tell me if I'll find anything romantic in college, but I'd just like to know if it gets better.
American? Oh god, depends where you are as LBGT acceptance is 50/50 in USA. In UK, where I live in South East there are minor homophobic but not much, they don't talk to you but don't dislike LBGT. (Most conservative place in UK)
chikane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well if there is a society you can join you might meet people but if not its harder as some people aren't as open about their orientation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (7)
11.86%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.47%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.08%
I need help with my personal statement (25)
42.37%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
23.73%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.39%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.08%

Watched Threads