Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am really stuck what to do for A level. At the moment I have chosen Biology, Chemistry, Physics and geography (with the aim to study Vet Med). However, I am not sure whether I should swap Physics with Maths and do the stereotypical BCM combination. Is there a disadvantage of me taking Physics? My Maths is ok, however, I wasn't good enough to take AddMaths at GCSE level so I'm unsure of what to do now!

Anyone give me some advice?

Thanks!
    Tash

ReputationRep:
    Heyyy,

I haven't started A level yet but I'm going to, and I chose the exact same subjects as you (Bio, chem, phys, geo)
    I want to do Med aswell!!
    Initially I had this confusion of whether maths or physics, and after going around and phoning up uni's and speaking to teachers they said choosing physics would not be a disadvantage as it is on the same par as choosing math. Me personally, am more stronger in physics than maths so I think even uni's would rather pick you who got an A* in physics than someone who got a B in math? You get me?
    Also if you go to the uni requirement pages, even for the top uni's like cambridge/(I think) it says " 2 ofeither physics or maths or both"

So don't stress too much and pick the subject that you honestly think you can cope with and get great grades in!
    Good luck!! and I hope this helped a little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoDoneWithSchool)
    Heyyy,

I haven't started A level yet but I'm going to, and I chose the exact same subjects as you (Bio, chem, phys, geo)
    I want to do Med aswell!!
    Initially I had this confusion of whether maths or physics, and after going around and phoning up uni's and speaking to teachers they said choosing physics would not be a disadvantage as it is on the same par as choosing math. Me personally, am more stronger in physics than maths so I think even uni's would rather pick you who got an A* in physics than someone who got a B in math? You get me?
    Also if you go to the uni requirement pages, even for the top uni's like cambridge/(I think) it says " 2 ofeither physics or maths or both"

So don't stress too much and pick the subject that you honestly think you can cope with and get great grades in!
    Good luck!! and I hope this helped a little
    Thank you very much for this You were the proactive one and phoned up all the unis... Hope your GCSEs went well and good luck for A-levels!

ReputationRep:
    I don't do GCSE's or A levels but maths seems way more important than geography for studying med, why don't you swap that for maths ? (keep the 3 sciences as they are beneficial for studying med).

ReputationRep:
    Physics is not bad but I'd say Maths. (I do agree with the person above me^^)

ReputationRep:
    Geography is my contrast subject. It hopefully will stop from going mad and also price that I can be well rounded as well as focused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tash.Friesinger)
    Geography is my contrast subject. It hopefully will stop from going mad and also price that I can be well rounded as well as focused
    Fair eneough. I'd pick maths over physics then cause you're already doing 2 sciences.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine doing Phys instead, I'm applying for Biomedicine with Bio, Math and Law- no chem and it doesn't matter even though there's quite a bit of chem in the degree and it's the same for maths with the normal Med degree (from what I'm aware)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.