The Student Room Group

Maths or Physics???

Hi,

I am really stuck what to do for A level. At the moment I have chosen Biology, Chemistry, Physics and geography (with the aim to study Vet Med). However, I am not sure whether I should swap Physics with Maths and do the stereotypical BCM combination. Is there a disadvantage of me taking Physics? My Maths is ok, however, I wasn't good enough to take AddMaths at GCSE level so I'm unsure of what to do now!

Anyone give me some advice?

Thanks!
Tash
Heyyy,

I haven't started A level yet but I'm going to, and I chose the exact same subjects as you (Bio, chem, phys, geo)
I want to do Med aswell!!
Initially I had this confusion of whether maths or physics, and after going around and phoning up uni's and speaking to teachers they said choosing physics would not be a disadvantage as it is on the same par as choosing math. Me personally, am more stronger in physics than maths so I think even uni's would rather pick you who got an A* in physics than someone who got a B in math? You get me?
Also if you go to the uni requirement pages, even for the top uni's like cambridge/(I think) it says " 2 ofeither physics or maths or both"

So don't stress too much and pick the subject that you honestly think you can cope with and get great grades in!
Good luck!! and I hope this helped a little :redface:
Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
Heyyy,

I haven't started A level yet but I'm going to, and I chose the exact same subjects as you (Bio, chem, phys, geo)
I want to do Med aswell!!
Initially I had this confusion of whether maths or physics, and after going around and phoning up uni's and speaking to teachers they said choosing physics would not be a disadvantage as it is on the same par as choosing math. Me personally, am more stronger in physics than maths so I think even uni's would rather pick you who got an A* in physics than someone who got a B in math? You get me?
Also if you go to the uni requirement pages, even for the top uni's like cambridge/(I think) it says " 2 ofeither physics or maths or both"

So don't stress too much and pick the subject that you honestly think you can cope with and get great grades in!
Good luck!! and I hope this helped a little :redface:

Thank you very much for this :smile: You were the proactive one and phoned up all the unis... Hope your GCSEs went well and good luck for A-levels!
I don't do GCSE's or A levels but maths seems way more important than geography for studying med, why don't you swap that for maths ? (keep the 3 sciences as they are beneficial for studying med).
Physics is not bad but I'd say Maths. (I do agree with the person above me^^)
(edited 7 years ago)
Geography is my contrast subject. It hopefully will stop from going mad and also price that I can be well rounded as well as focused :smile:
Original post by Tash.Friesinger
Geography is my contrast subject. It hopefully will stop from going mad and also price that I can be well rounded as well as focused :smile:

Fair eneough. I'd pick maths over physics then cause you're already doing 2 sciences.
Reply 7
You'll be fine doing Phys instead, I'm applying for Biomedicine with Bio, Math and Law- no chem and it doesn't matter even though there's quite a bit of chem in the degree and it's the same for maths with the normal Med degree (from what I'm aware)

Quick Reply

Latest