Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, okay so in 2 weeks my boyfriend starts at Exeter university. And I'll be starting at Durham. We've had a talk, and we definetly want to stay together (its been 3 years already). So we'd like to see eachother once a month on a weekend, alternating each time who visits who. However it is quite expensive. Trains cost over £100 with a 16-25 card. Coaches cost around £30 BUT take around 13 hours! We wouldnt have much time together at all. And planes are over £100.

Anyone have any ideas? We seriously have no clue what to do. We dont know anyone we could carshare with. Anyone who atteneds either unis, how do you make the journey there? Please no one suggest to breaking up, we want to try and make it work. Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    Try to book really far in advance and take trains at funny times (5am, 11pm). I've done this for the last academic year and gotten £11 singles, with a railcard, for every journey between Durham and London. With that leg of the journey cheapened, just add on the London to Exeter part.

ReputationRep:
    I wish you luck - I was doing Durham to Cambridge and that was insanely expensive!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Same here, I'm going to Durham and my gf is going to Exeter. I think our plan is just gonna be skype and then meet up back home in the holidays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjc23)
    Same here, I'm going to Durham and my gf is going to Exeter. I think our plan is just gonna be skype and then meet up back home in the holidays.
    Unless you were already in a pretty pretty long distance relationship you may want to meet up at least once during term time as making it all the way to the holidays is incredibly difficult and being with your SO is so much better than just skyping.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.