Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to go on to study medicine in a top uni. Having received my GCSE grades (4A* 6A) I was wondering if I made the wrong devision when it came to my as choice. As I took bio Chen maths and for a level and physchology for as. People are saying that the fact I took physchology puts mea t a disadvantage to people who did further maths for example. Is this true? And if so what should I do to rectify it?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No.
    Its not true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zx12r1)
    I want to go on to study medicine in a top uni. Having received my GCSE grades (4A* 6A) I was wondering if I made the wrong devision when it came to my as choice. As I took bio Chen maths and for a level and physchology for as. People are saying that the fact I took physchology puts mea t a disadvantage to people who did further maths for example. Is this true? And if so what should I do to rectify it?
    Do rectify it just drop psychology first week & pick f.maths?
    But psychology is fine, it is relevant to medicine anyways tbh!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :lol:

Of course you haven't! Some universities actually dislike it when people take further maths, even only just to AS level, so you have the advantage!
    Whoever told you that obviously hasn't looked at any of the entry requirements of universities.

ReputationRep:
    It does not have to be maths but some universities refuse to acept psychology

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, get rid of the idea of a "top uni" for medicine - all UK medical schools will make you into a competent doctor and nobody gives a monkey's about "prestige."

Secondly, Psychology (do at least learn to spell it right!) is absolutely fine. It is true that universities won't consider it a "science" but as you're doing enough other science subjects that doesn't matter - they still consider it as an acceptable A-level! FM isn't even considered as an extra subject for medicine by many universities, so it certainly wouldn't give you any advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Firstly, get rid of the idea of a "top uni" for medicine - all UK medical schools will make you into a competent doctor and nobody gives a monkey's about "prestige."

Secondly, Psychology (do at least learn to spell it right!) is absolutely fine. It is true that universities won't consider it a "science" but as you're doing enough other science subjects that doesn't matter - they still consider it as an acceptable A-level! FM isn't even considered as an extra subject for medicine by many universities, so it certainly wouldn't give you any advantage.
    Thank you for putting my mind at ease.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    DO NOT TAKE FURTHER MATHS INSTEAD OF PSYCHOLOGY!!! further maths will not be credited by the medical schools as a seperate Alevel (so basically it is a waste of your time) as most medical schools will not accept clashing subjects and hence only 1 of maths and further maths will count! why waste your time?

Psychology is much more relevant to medicine than maths, and providing you have bio and chem medical schools do not care what other academic subject you take.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.