Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering how much stuff you guys did or will be taking to Oxford as I have started making a packing list for uni however, even-though they said pack light, I'm finding I will still probably have 6+ bags and boxes. Am I overpacking or is this a normal amount of stuff to take? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Also, if there is anyone going to Hertford, how much kitchen stuff are you planning on taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parrotperson)
    Hi, I was wondering how much stuff you guys did or will be taking to Oxford as I have started making a packing list for uni however, even-though they said pack light, I'm finding I will still probably have 6+ bags and boxes. Am I overpacking or is this a normal amount of stuff to take? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Also, if there is anyone going to Hertford, how much kitchen stuff are you planning on taking?
    I normally have a couple of huge boxes and 3 big bags then a few smaller bags plus a bike and bedding, basically enough to completely fill an estate car (leaving room for 2 people in the front!). So what you're packing sounds pretty reasonable!

ReputationRep:

Don't worry too much, even when you think you've got it down to the essentials it still feels like you've got absolutely loads of stuff (particularly since bedding etc. takes up so much space) but once you get everything unpacked you discover that it's totally fine and you've also forgotten five things. It's only nine weeks anyway, after the first term you'll know exactly how much you can pack next time.

ReputationRep:

I'd say its normal. I always end up taking 4 suitcases + numerous boxes and bags each term.

I'm not at Hertford but a few pans and kitchen essentials is usually the norm unless you will be cooking a lot of different things as opposed to eating in Hall, cooking pasta/rice, etc.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

I took loads of suitcases with me. A few people gave my family weird looks on the day but then everyone said how nice and homely my room looked and asked to borrow my kitchen stuff etc.

So don't worry at all, is my advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't leave Oxford between third and fourth year. At the end of fourth year, I had to make two car trips to get everything back home. And that was at Magdalen, which provides all your bedding. So however much you take, you're probably doing better than I did.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.