Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! I'll be moving to the UK in a week or so for uni and was wondering what mobile provider you guys recommend? I'll be staying in Norwich btw. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    waiting for someone to say tesco :rofl:

I use 3, it's a bit crap where i live because i live in a rural area, but still, i get 4g quite often

ReputationRep:
    O2. Been on it for years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    waiting for someone to say tesco :rofl:

I use 3, it's a bit crap where i live because i live in a rural area, but still, i get 4g quite often
    Twinsies!

I use 3 too. I used to be on Vodafone and used them for years but they're bloody awful. Worst network I've ever used. 3 seems to have better coverage in my area than Vodafone, never used to get 4G. Now I do! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A321)
    O2. Been on it for years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    O2 is ridiculously overpriced.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by knifeprincess)
    Hello everyone! I'll be moving to the UK in a week or so for uni and was wondering what mobile provider you guys recommend? I'll be staying in Norwich btw. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh - wait, hang on.

It might be worth you having a look at giffgaff as they're the most affordable SIM-only network in the UK, I think.

ReputationRep:
    O2

ReputationRep:
    Giff Gaff

it runs on the O2 network if I'm not mistaken. I love it for simplicity and transparency. No bonus gifts, "free phones" etc etc just the 3 basic services (text, calls and 3G). No hidden catches, no lengthy contracts, all is clear and very flexible: you sign up on their website and receive a SIM card by mail. From then you do everything online, as far as I know they don't have physical offices, but I never had any issues. I find it perfect

ReputationRep:
    I have 02 everything is good but the data.. I struggle to get my data to work in London, the reception is very low at times. I think EE
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I'm with Virgin and have never had a problem.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I like O2 because unused data goes on to roll over to the following month.

ReputationRep:
    Giffgaff, they run on the O2 network and are probably the best value for money also.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Twinsies!

I use 3 too. I used to be on Vodafone and used them for years but they're bloody awful. Worst network I've ever used. 3 seems to have better coverage in my area than Vodafone, never used to get 4G. Now I do! :woo:
    ethan, it'll be great if tsr fix this notification problem :innocent:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    ethan, it'll be great if tsr fix this notification problem :innocent:
    It would wouldn't it
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Oh - wait, hang on.

It might be worth you having a look at giffgaff as they're the most affordable SIM-only network in the UK, I think.
    Giffgaff runs on O2 and O2 are not as good as 3 or EE for 3G and 4G coverage.
    Giffgaff are very flexible and reasonably priced - 3 are also reasonably priced if you go with their 12 month SIM Only contracts.

Stay away from Vodafone as their 3G/4G coverage is abysmal (Thrapston and Oundle doesn't have any Vodafone coverage, not even 2G). O2 will be OK if you live in a town or city. Failing that, EE or 3.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I'm with Virgin and have never had a problem.
    In my experience, Virgin Mobile have been a complete and utter shambles! :mad:

They run off the EE network but are nowhere near as good as EE - they are 3G only, i.e. no 4G at all; they have SIMS that are missold to you (for example, I had an "unlimited" SIM for a couple of years, but it wasn't unlimited - it was 3.5GB data; any use after that would result in a data speed for the rest of the month of just 384 kilobits/sec); their attitude to tethering was extremely poor (though I tethered anyway because I am not replacing all of my wifi only devices with 3G/4G capable devices) and they were charging almost as much as Three UK - yet Three UK were offering truly unlimited data (Fair Use Policy is 1,000 GB, not 3.5GB) and had 4G as well. In the end I got a P.A.C. code and moved to EE, who were offering me over 4x the data of Virgin and superfast 4G for just £1 more per month. Had to be done...

In all honesty, there's more chance of me recommending Vodafone or O2 to someone than there is me recommending anything Virgin related to someone.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

I'm moving to Sheffield from India and I'm trying to decide which mobile network I should go with. Calling home is obviously a huge priority, what would you guys recommend?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.