Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    my daughter is a bright student and, although we don't have the financial means, only because of her academic merits she won places in independent schools for her GCSEs and A Levels. She would love to do Economics at Oxford, her AS exams were in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. She obtained very high A* in Maths and Further Maths(100% in three exams), also in Economics a high A but only a B in Physics. She had already considered dropping that subject and she will indeed, do you think that if she continues with the good performance in the other three A Levels, she can still be considered for a place in Economics at Oxford? In other words, how important is a AS with a B? She can't understand what happened since she had won, early in the year, an award in the Physics Olympiads. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    A*A*A satisfies the entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    If she's dropping Physics for A2, I can't see a problem for Economics. If her teachers still predict her to meet the entry requirements of the course, she has a good personal statement, and performs well at interview, I can't see them rejecting her on the grounds of a B in Physics. However, nobody can tell you for certain what will happen, so the only thing that is guaranteed is that if she doesn't apply, she won't get a place. Her grades are definitely 'good enough' to do so, so I wouldn't get hung-up on that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    A*A*A satisfies the entry requirements.
    Thank you for your reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummerStrawberry)
    If she's dropping Physics for A2, I can't see a problem for Economics. If her teachers still predict her to meet the entry requirements of the course, she has a good personal statement, and performs well at interview, I can't see them rejecting her on the grounds of a B in Physics. However, nobody can tell you for certain what will happen, so the only thing that is guaranteed is that if she doesn't apply, she won't get a place. Her grades are definitely 'good enough' to do so, so I wouldn't get hung-up on that!
    Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question...also thank you for the encouragement!

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Economics and a science are the subjects most universities are after ( with further maths being highly recommended). her B in Physics shouldn't hinder her chances to get the A prediction in physics. The only dilemma she my face if she drops physics is that the diversity of her subjects might be questioned ( basically only doing maths and economics). If she really doesn't want to carry on with physics, i suppose dropping it wouldn't be a bad option. On the other hand, i don't think her physics result would hinder her chances to get into oxford as long as gets the A prediction

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.