Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if any one could give me any tips in terms of revision and lessons on how to achieve an A in A-level Biology. Also, on the subject, could any please tell me how they found Biology in terms of difficulty and If I ( Having achieved a B in Biology in core science and the same in additional) would be able to cope with Biology or do you think it will be too difficult for me.

Thank You.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PLG99)
    I was wondering if any one could give me any tips in terms of revision and lessons on how to achieve an A in A-level Biology. Also, on the subject, could any please tell me how they found Biology in terms of difficulty and If I ( Having achieved a B in Biology in core science and the same in additional) would be able to cope with Biology or do you think it will be too difficult for me.

Thank You.
    Hi! You'll be fine! I got an A in Biology Triple Science but A-Levels are hard and I got a C in my first AS Biology exam. I ended up with an A at A2 and was 4UMS off an A*! So don't worry if you struggle at first - you'll succeed in the end!

Biology is the easiest of the 3 Sciences at A-Level to do as it is mainly reciting facts as opposed to thinking. As long as you commit the facts to memory you'll fly through. Make sure you learn the definitions according to the markscheme - if you miss a single word you loose the mark! And make sure you learn the case studies.

I do find Biology easy and interesting so I had that to my advantage - it was a subject at school I always looked forward to. I did OCR Biology and for the most part it was fine, very logical. However there was one module that tripped everyone up - Module 4. I had to do this exam 3 times in order to get a B in it! I actually got an E the first time around. When I did it the third time around, I and one other person got a B, a couple got C's but most got D's and E's, in a class of 30.

I did every past paper possible, including legacy papers. Used my text book, class notes and CGP guide and condensed them into one set of notes I recited to myself. You need to study the mark schemes as well. For example for module 4 people missed marks because they didn't write really obvious things like 'photosynthesis', so even if you think something is silly to write, write it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Particularly the A2 side a large amount is based on biological models/concepts like respiration and action potentials. Personally I would make diagrams of these and learn each individual component of by heart. That way when they start asking questions about small parts you know where it is situated overall and therefore can determine changes/effects insinuated by the questions. For the most part they aren't particularly hard it is just a large volume of content to remember. Constant testing is the best way to success. Practice is the answer, if you're doing every past paper and have a genuine understanding of the concepts then you will do fine. I had a D at AS but came out with an A in A2.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.