The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Oswy
I can be blunt, though I don't think I'm the bluntest. All I'm asking you to do is back up what you've said with some evidence. It's easy to claim things as facts and then run out of the door. I'm asking for evidence because you're not the first poster to make such a claim about "...talks..." and then fail to cite the actual instance and content of such talks.

Why do you think this discussion is stupid?

I don't think the discussion is stupid, I think it's quite an important one actually. Haha I guess I'm just not the best with arguments. This was published 4 years ago: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/2597481.stm
Is that good enough for you?
Reply 81
loadkezzle
I don't think the discussion is stupid, I think it's quite an important one actually. Haha I guess I'm just not the best with arguments. This was published 4 years ago: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/2597481.stm

Thanks! This was all I was after.

This is the story:

The Red Cross has banned Christmas nativity decorations from its UK charity shops in case they offend customers of other faiths.
One volunteer, Christine Banks, was dismayed to be told to take a nativity scene out of the window of the Kent shop she worked in.

She said it was political correctness gone mad and leading British Muslim Labour peer Lord Ahmed said it was "stupid" to think other faiths would be offended by Christian symbols.

But the Red Cross believes an alignment to a particular religion could "compromise our ability to work in conflict situations around the world".

Personally I think they were probably being over sensitive; although given the nature of their work overseas and the way religion has political meanings elsewhere in the world I don't think that it was outlandish for them to consider it. What I would say is that this story doesn't exactly match my expectations with respect to your original post - in which the actual banning of Christmas was alleged to have been discussed.
Reply 82
Oswy
Thanks! This was all I was after.

This is the story:

Personally I think they were probably being over sensitive; although given the nature of their work overseas and the way religion has political meanings elsewhere in the world I don't think that it was outlandish for them to consider it. What I would say is that this story doesn't exactly match my expectations with respect to your original post - in which the actual banning of Christmas was alleged to have been discussed.

I suppose this could back you up
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/2597481.stm
loadkezzle

Right, now ask yourself who made this decison. Was it the ethnic minorities? Or over-zealous jobsworths? You need to think about who you condemn after such decisions are made, because i doubt Muslims would care about a nativity scene, seeing as they recognise Jesus in their religion and revere him anyway.
Reply 84
cottonmouth
Right, now ask yourself who made this decison. Was it the ethnic minorities? Or over-zealous jobsworths? You need to think about who you condemn after such decisions are made, because i doubt Muslims would care about a nativity scene, seeing as they recognise Jesus in their religion and revere him anyway.

You are probably right. And like Oswy said, I am guessing that it was just a few out of the groups that overreacted. The blame shouldn't really be spread across all of them, because that is most certainly not the case.
Reply 85
Hengest
I was merely agreeing with your post and using "human rights" as an example.
What is there to elaborate upon?
Can't you remember what you said?

But I said a few things in that post so I'm not sure what you were linking human rights to.
Reply 86
dddd
Why don't we have the government hold our hands day in, day out, reminding us "tut tut you can't say that". Freedom of speech is freedom in itself. Its up to the every day person to make moral decisions of what is right or wrong to say. An individual has to assess every situation, and act in the way thats best. If somebody were to shout "fire" into a cinema, the cinema owns the premises and has them taken out. If hate speech leads a person to commit an actual crime, you punish the actual crime. The last thing we need is laws stating what we can and can't say

What's witht his persistent belief among some of you that laws and norms should somehow always have 'you' in mind rather than 'me', when they are enforced? The Personal Responsibility mantra simply points to a good solution then stares right back at the problem again. Supposing people are not personally responsible, even if I am? Personal responsibility is little more than a legal shortcut to enforcing policy - it isn't open ended. That is to say, where a particular result is sought, individuals are charged with achieving it by whatever means they are able, and bear in mind that should things go wrong, they're likely to shoulder the blame. Maybe I've misread its use but I'm pretty damn sure that half of you guys have it back-to-front. It does not mean "let people decide how to behave", but, "let people decide how to obey the law".

The truth is, the Harm Principle sets the bar too high for dealing with free speech. I mean, it's hard to speak of physical harm and the offense caused by certain speech as being the same, so the punishment cannot be the same, yet there is still clearly an unresolved issue. A number of factors need to be taken into account when deciding whether speech can be limited by the offense principle and these include the extent, duration and social value of the speech, the ease with which it can be avoided, the motives of the speaker, the number of people offended, the intensity of the offense, and the general interest of the community at large (which sticks the middle finger up at many of the popular objections to "political correctness"). A case in point is hate speech. It causes profound and personal offense. The discomfort that is caused to those who are the object of such attacks cannot easily be shrugged off (which is why I find some of the defences for it made here quite simply incredible).

The truth is, individuals will not always assess a situation and make a reasonable or informed choice, and definitely not always a choice that will be in my interests. Laws can and should tell you how to conduct yourself in public, even if this includes what you can say in public. The right to free speech is little more than a right to protest. In the liberal west, people have gone out armed with fine sounding slogans to rampantly scent-mark every social habit with the status of "rights. Without legislation, cultural pressure would often perform the same task that laws attempt to. Controlling what people say is not the same as controlling what they think. Free speech is one of those rights which I take to be residual, but not absolute: you can say anything until I tell you not to say it.

In conclusion, "free speech" is not a personal liberty but a political one. It's chief objective is to ensure political dialogue, and to allow social participation. It's the truce flag of society. It's on these two criteria that curbing free speech is often balanced - social usefulness and political usefulness. So, gratuitously offending a particular group of people has no political objective. It's just nasty, and don't ask me to defend it even on principle. The question must be asked before restricting free speech, what value the offense being caused may have, and if it's avoidable. When fighting words are used to provoke people who are prevented by law from using a fighting response, the offense is profound enough to allow for proscription. Apart from the moral imbalance in such a case, the threat to peace that can occur as a result, is reason enough. Law and the political process are reflections of the things a society takes seriously. If moral considerations are among them, then I can see no reason to yank them out of the way.
Gilliwoo
What's witht his persistent belief among some of you that laws and norms should somehow always have 'you' in mind rather than 'me', when they are enforced? The Personal Responsibility mantra simply points to a good solution then stares right back at the problem again. Supposing people are not personally responsible, even if I am? Personal responsibility is little more than a legal shortcut to enforcing policy - it isn't open ended. That is to say, where a particular result is sought, individuals are charged with achieving it by whatever means they are able, and bear in mind that should things go wrong, they're likely to shoulder the blame. Maybe I've misread its use but I'm pretty damn sure that half of you guys have it back-to-front. It does not mean "let people decide how to behave", but, "let people decide how to obey the law".

The truth is, the Harm Principle sets the bar too high for dealing with free speech. I mean, it's hard to speak of physical harm and the offense caused by certain speech as being the same, so the punishment cannot be the same, yet there is still clearly an unresolved issue. A number of factors need to be taken into account when deciding whether speech can be limited by the offense principle and these include the extent, duration and social value of the speech, the ease with which it can be avoided, the motives of the speaker, the number of people offended, the intensity of the offense, and the general interest of the community at large (which sticks the middle finger up at many of the popular objections to "political correctness"). A case in point is hate speech. It causes profound and personal offense. The discomfort that is caused to those who are the object of such attacks cannot easily be shrugged off (which is why I find some of the defences for it made here quite simply incredible).

The truth is, individuals will not always assess a situation and make a reasonable or informed choice, and definitely not always a choice that will be in my interests. Laws can and should tell you how to conduct yourself in public, even if this includes what you can say in public. The right to free speech is little more than a right to protest. In the liberal west, people have gone out armed with fine sounding slogans to rampantly scent-mark every social habit with the status of "rights. Without legislation, cultural pressure would often perform the same task that laws attempt to. Controlling what people say is not the same as controlling what they think. Free speech is one of those rights which I take to be residual, but not absolute: you can say anything until I tell you not to say it.

In conclusion, "free speech" is not a personal liberty but a political one. It's chief objective is to ensure political dialogue, and to allow social participation. It's the truce flag of society. It's on these two criteria that curbing free speech is often balanced - social usefulness and political usefulness. So, gratuitously offending a particular group of people has no political objective. It's just nasty, and don't ask me to defend it even on principle. The question must be asked before restricting free speech, what value the offense being caused may have, and if it's avoidable. When fighting words are used to provoke people who are prevented by law from using a fighting response, the offense is profound enough to allow for proscription. Apart from the moral imbalance in such a case, the threat to peace that can occur as a result, is reason enough. Law and the political process are reflections of the things a society takes seriously. If moral considerations are among them, then I can see no reason to yank them out of the way.

Excellente. Nothing more needs to be said.
Reply 88
anyone seen any other posts by this guy? without even reading his post im willing to bet he's just bitching that he cant stand in the street screaming about j00z taking over and fuzzy wuzzies stealing our jobs.
Reply 89
loadkezzle
I'm not a racist or anything, but last year there were talks about putting a ban on christmas, just because other ethnic groups didn't approve and it isn't part of their religion. I'm sorry but we don't tell them to put a stop to their celebrations like ramadan! And it's supposed to be our country, Great Britain. Now I'm not one to actually start arguments, infact I am the complete opposite, but when you get the feeling that you are not allowed to say what's on your mind then something is wrong. Censorship is wrong...I feel like it's World War Two all over again!

loadKezzle, you delicate flower, (no insult intended, just an accurate description) though YOU may not be racist, the millions of non-Whites who are colonizing your country most certainly ARE, and when the fit hits the shan they will not differentiate between evil White Nazis like me and good White non-racists like you. They will treat us equally; no questions asked, and It will not be pretty.
If you and I were to take a stroll through Soweto, do you think that the black denizens there would listen to your pleas of not being a racist? Hell no, they would kill us both. And do you think that the Pakistanis who abducted, beat and torched kriss Donald enquired first as to his racial politics? Hell no, they just wanted a White man to vent their murderous savagery upon. And their victim could equally have been you or I. So wake up dude and smell the racial reality. Even if you ignore IT, IT won't ignore YOU!
Reply 90
Hengest
loadKezzle, you delicate flower, (no insult intended, just an accurate description) though YOU may not be racist, the millions of non-Whites who are colonizing your country most certainly ARE, and when the fit hits the shan they will not differentiate between evil White Nazis like me and good White non-racists like you. They will treat us equally; no questions asked, and It will not be pretty.
If you and I were to take a stroll through Soweto, do you think that the black denizens there would listen to your pleas of not being a racist? Hell no, they would kill us both. And do you think that the Pakistanis who abducted, beat and torched kriss Donald enquired first as to his racial politics? Hell no, they just wanted a White man to vent their murderous savagery upon. And their victim could equally have been you or I. So wake up dude and smell the racial reality. Even if you ignore IT, IT won't ignore YOU!

Are you ****ing high? :s-smilie:
Reply 91
Hengest
Is freedom of speech an absolute right or should it be restricted by governments?
Here in the West we are told that we have freedom to speak our minds, but in reality we don't, for our governments restrict what we can say with hate speech laws; so we don't really have freedom of speech.
The only exeption is America, whose people are protected by the first amendment. So, do you want the freedom to speak your mind even if it causes offense to certain groups, or are you prepared to accept government censorship in the name of cracking down on.... "hate"?.

There is no total freedom of speech in the US. But it doesn't matter since freedom of speech should be total.
Reply 92
toth8
There is no total freedom of speech in the US. But it doesn't matter since freedom of speech should be total.

Should? Why?
Reply 93
Hengest

You do have a point...It seems different when you look at it in that perspective. But the people you are talking about are only a small minority of their groups. It just seems more common because it is them that are always on the news.
Reply 94
toth8

No, it should not be total.
Reply 95
Sorry for taking a while to reply.
DrunkHamster
Well, it is founded on reason and logic. What more do you want us to say!

"Founded on reason and logic" means absolutely nothing. Like I said, it's enlightenment demagoguery.

If you posit libertarianism, you have to give an argument for that claim. Libertarianism isn't some base axiom which all properly functioning agents are rationally obligated to give their assent to.
DrunkHamster
The "problem" of the standard libertarian position on animal is nothing more than the problem of applying logic to a situation where people don't want to apply it to their own position. There seems to me to be strong arguments for an "anything goes" position on animal rights or conceding them total rights - nothing in between. This is in stark contrast to the (let me call it) naive view of animal rights (which I hypocritically hold myself...), i.e. that it is morally acceptable to kill animals in extremely brutal ways provided we are going to eat them, while anything else is just gratuitous and clearly wrong.

For example: I believe the evidence suggests that it is not necessary for anyone to eat animals to live. So we are in the position where people are killing animals for nothing more than "gratuitous" reasons - the deaths are completely avoidable! The question is, why is OK to kill an animal gratuitously in order to get pleasure from sinking your teeth into its burned and butchered flesh while it's not OK to kill an animal gratuitously in order to get pleasure some other way? There really doesn't seem to be any compelling reason to regard one as morally acceptable but the other as wrong to me.

If it really doesn't, can you answer the point above?

Firstly, the way that organic farms kill and keep animals is not extremely brutal. Some farms operate in extremely brutal ways, and I would say that the consumer who wants to be ethical should avoid those sorts of establishments.

Secondly, it does not follow from the fact that animals are killed for meat, and we can live without meat, that we are morally obligated to be vegetarians. That would only follow if our becoming vegetarians would decrease the amount of suffering that animals endure. And that is not clear - there are huge costs to animals which are created by arable farming, and it's a very tricky empirical premise whether a further expansion of livestock farming would decrease animal suffering. Not only would animals suffer from further loss of habitat, but millions (if not billions) of animals are killed during the harvest process (chopped up by combine harvesters etc) in ways far more brutal than how good abattoirs would do it (though of course, many abattoirs are not good).

Further, suppose I grant you that we are morally obligated to be vegetarians (though like I say, that empirical premise ain't simple). We are not talking (in this thread) solely of moral obligation, but of political compulsion. In politics, we must be pragmatic. Suppose we are morally obligated to not eat meat. Despite that, there is absolutely no chance of a government passing that sort of law. No chance whatsoever, simply due to ingrained habits. On the other hand, the same does not apply to stamping on kittens/burning dogs etc. There is a fair chance of that sort of legislation working and being accepted (as evidenced by the fact that it DOES work, and prosecutions are brought against the needlessly cruel).
phawkins1988
Sorry for taking a while to reply.

"Founded on reason and logic" means absolutely nothing. Like I said, it's enlightenment demagoguery.

If you posit libertarianism, you have to give an argument for that claim. Libertarianism isn't some base axiom which all properly functioning agents are rationally obligated to give their assent to.

Essentially, libertarianism comes from natural law - in particular the natural right of self ownership plus the non aggression principle. If you accept those, all else follows. How can I persuade you that these are true if you don't believe them in the first place? I'm not sure, but to me they seem so self-evident that attempting to refute them is impossible. Rothbard puts it nicely when he says he accepts the principle of self ownership because all the alternatives are immediately falsified (if you don't own yourself, who does? Another group of people? No one? The alternatives are absurd).

Firstly, the way that organic farms kill and keep animals is not extremely brutal. Some farms operate in extremely brutal ways, and I would say that the consumer who wants to be ethical should avoid those sorts of establishments.

Precisely my point - there are abattoirs which kill animals in brutal ways but do so legally, and anyone who wants to be ethical should avoid them. Just like under a libertarian system, there will be people who kill animals in brutal ways but do so legally - and equally, anyone who wants to be ethical should avoid or condemn them.

Secondly, it does not follow from the fact that animals are killed for meat, and we can live without meat, that we are morally obligated to be vegetarians.

No, you're right - it would be perfectly consistent to say that animals are lower beings, and so do not have rights and can be used as property. This is basically what most libertarians believe - look here for pretty much the canonical version of this argument. But a problem arises when you think it's morally acceptable to kill animals for the pleasure of eating them while it's not morally acceptable to kill animals for other forms of pleasure. Where is the relevant difference?

That would only follow if our becoming vegetarians would decrease the amount of suffering that animals endure.

Only if you presuppose some sort of suffering-minimisation form of utilitarianism for animals. Come on, you don't need me to tell you the problems with this approach. (If we really are trying to minimise the suffering of animals, it follows then that our (moral!) goal should be developing a way to systematically kill every animal, as long as it is painless. No animals, no suffering. And of course other types of utilitarianism have other, similar problems.)

And that is not clear - there are huge costs to animals which are created by arable farming, and it's a very tricky empirical premise whether a further expansion of livestock farming would decrease animal suffering. Not only would animals suffer from further loss of habitat, but millions (if not billions) of animals are killed during the harvest process (chopped up by combine harvesters etc) in ways far more brutal than how good abattoirs would do it (though of course, many abattoirs are not good).

Even if you're right (which I'm not sure, but I don't want to get into an argument about the cost of farming on animal welfare...) I can still posit ways of providing nourishment for the human race which don't involve the suffering of animals (I don't know, say hydroponic farms producing mushrooms or something.) Would you be prepared to say that if any of these methods are possible, it is in fact morally unacceptable to eat animals?

And would you say that it is acceptable for someone to stamp on a kitten/burn a dog if, by doing so, he found an outlet for his violence which would otherwise be imposed on actual human beings? Apart from the fact that you can't measure suffering in the first place, what would be the morally correct "exchange rate" between human and animal suffering?

Further, suppose I grant you that we are morally obligated to be vegetarians (though like I say, that empirical premise ain't simple). We are not talking (in this thread) solely of moral obligation, but of political compulsion. In politics, we must be pragmatic. Suppose we are morally obligated to not eat meat. Despite that, there is absolutely no chance of a government passing that sort of law. No chance whatsoever, simply due to ingrained habits. On the other hand, the same does not apply to stamping on kittens/burning dogs etc. There is a fair chance of that sort of legislation working and being accepted (as evidenced by the fact that it DOES work, and prosecutions are brought against the needlessly cruel).

Which is precisely back to my original point - the laws (and public opinion) are as they are because of pragmatic reasons, not well thought-out moral ones. And a lot of the criticisms libertarians get for being "for animal cruelty" basically come from the fact that we actually apply logic to the situation and settle on a consistent system of morals for treating animals. The law may well be pragmatic, but it sure as hell ain't consistent.
Reply 97
DrunkHamster
Essentially, libertarianism comes from natural law - in particular the natural right of self ownership plus the non aggression principle. If you accept those, all else follows.
From what I know of libertarianism, the cart is put before the horse. Specific rights seem to be posited while rejecting the moral assumptions that allow them to make sense. And they say they're allowed to do this by pointing right back at those rights. I have a problem with natural rights for a couple of reasons: we can and do tend to trade off specific claims that might be thought of as natural rights, for other "non-natural" objectives. A natural right of self-ownhership may, for instance, be "willingly" forfeited in order to honour a debt. Second, it needs to be explained how we get from those general and abstract rights to the specific rights found in a political dogma which takes itself to be "axiomatic". Natural rights give us options in our behaviour. How those options "automatically" lead to particular political theories - even human rights - I really can't agree. Just my two cents.
Gilliwoo
From what I know of libertarianism, the cart is put before the horse. Specific rights seem to be posited while rejecting the moral assumptions that allow them to make sense. And they say they're allowed to do this by pointing right back at those rights.

I'm not sure what you mean by this - could you give an example of a right which is posited while the moral assumptions which allow it to make sense are rejected?

I have a problem with natural rights for a couple of reasons: we can and do tend to trade off specific claims that might be thought of as natural rights, for other "non-natural" objectives. A natural right of self-ownhership may, for instance, be "willingly" forfeited in order to honour a debt.

If something is a natural right, by definition it can't be "willingly" forfeited - it is inalienable. You just cannot give away ownership of yourself! This is precisely the reason why under a libertarian system of law it would be impossible to sell yourself into slavery: from Rothbard's The Ethics of Liberty

Suppose that Smith makes the following agreement with the Jones Corporation: Smith, for the rest of his life, will obey all orders, under whatever conditions, that the Jones Corporation wishes to lay down. Now, in libertarian theory there is nothing to prevent Smith from making this agreement, and from serving the Jones Corporation and from obeying the latter’s orders indefinitely. The problem comes when, at some later date, Smith changes his mind and decides to leave. Shall he be held to his former voluntary promise? Our contention—and one that is fortunately upheld under present law—is that Smith’s promise was not a valid (i.e., not an enforceable) contract. There is no transfer of title in Smith’s agreement, because Smith’s control over his own body and will are inalienable. Since that control cannot be alienated, the agreement was not a valid contract, and therefore should not be enforceable. Smith’s agreement was a mere promise, which it might be held he is morally obligated to keep, but which should not be legally obligatory.

Gilliwoo

Second, it needs to be explained how we get from those general and abstract rights to the specific rights found in a political dogma which takes itself to be "axiomatic". Natural rights give us options in our behaviour. How those options "automatically" lead to particular political theories - even human rights - I really can't agree. Just my two cents.

The basic axiom of libertarianism is the principle of self-ownership (ownership in the libertarian sense of having the right to control). The reason why it's an axiom is because the alternatives are self refuting. If we don't believe that each person can ethically only have full ownership of himself, we have two alternatives: partial ownership of one group by another (i.e. slavery of one group over another), or the communistic system of equal ownership of all by all. The first alternative cannot be ethical because it is arbitrary and non-universal (surely any ethical rule must be universalizable?). The second, while universal, is impossible and impractical - everyone would have to be able to exercise his part-ownership of everyone else when any decision was being made. So it would ultimately create a class of rulers or decision makers, and thereby be essentially reduced to the first alternative.

And like I said, once you've granted self-ownership, everything else follows.
Reply 99
In my opinion theirs a difference between cencorship and plain courtesy.
If you have beliefs that force you to hate other ethnicities or you think
your sex is entitled to more than the opposite sex, good for you, do what you do...
But when you start doing hate speechs, ravving people up to go out killing, that's what they call sick... hence why hate speechs are against the law.

Freedom of Speech is a right that shouldn't be exploited. People often miss theres a grey area to everything.

Latest

Trending

Trending