The Student Room Group

Psychology A2 New Specification for 2017

Anybody doing the new specification for Psychology for A2 exams in 2017? I need some tips on how to remember so much, I have tried out this website, loopa psychology, but still no help.
Original post by ArX.Ba_H
Anybody doing the new specification for Psychology for A2 exams in 2017? I need some tips on how to remember so much, I have tried out this website, loopa psychology, but still no help.

- Flashcards
- Explain a study using only pictures
- Watch videos or films (like the Stanford prison experiment)
- Play a Guess Who game with psychology studies? Get a classmate/friend to think of one and you have to ask questions to get it.
- Mindmaps
- Write condensed notes for a study/evaluation. Try to cut it down to as few words as possible/to a certain number of words
- Test yourself and your friends. Get family to test you.
- Try this: http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/psychology I've no idea if it's any good though as I've never used the site

Just try to find interesting ways to remember them :tongue:
Original post by ArX.Ba_H

For what exam board?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by LenniesRabbit
For what exam board?

Posted from TSR Mobile

AQA
Reply 4
Not sure if its a method used in your school but we do revision cards with 6 AO1 (description) on the front and 6 AO3 (evaluation) on the back. Makes things like studies a thousand times easier to remember. Also recommend writing evaluation through PEEL (point, evidence, explanation,, link) for each of the six evaluation points. Got me an A as AS pscyh (even though it doesn't count) Hope this helps!
This is a little late, but something that really helps me is making powerpoints for each topic. It may be a little time-consuming but being able to spend that time associating images and visual stimulants with actual text helps me remember the information a lot more. I also pretend to 'teach' these powerpoints, that way I am able to branch out on my own knowledge with evaluation points and better link information together.

Another tip is if you have large chunks of information to read/memorise, try changing the font for each topic/sub-topic. That way, your brain won't be accustomed to that writing font and you'll be be less likely to skim over the information - instead you'll read it more carefully and it'll aid in your memorisation.

And remember to always have at least one strength and limitation for each study etc. Always go for the most obvious answers (exam markers are lazy and don't really like students to get creative). Create an essay plan for every topic - you can check Loopa for this too as they have ready made essay examples - and make sure you have all key words and technical vocab highlighted in each topic (this will get you the higher marks). Finally, if you have time look into power words to use in essays. Examiners like to see excellent academic writing, especially at this level, and that will thus set you apart from the mediocre writers and will help in gaining a better mark.

My psych. teacher who also marks for the board said that markers don't really like to give out full marks for questions, so make sure you do everything you can to nail the question structures and always be aware of what an examiner would look for and ask you when revisiting your notes. Try to create some mock questions of your own too.

Knowledge is incredibly important for these exams, but A02/3 is heavily emphasised too. Try not to worry too much about any gaps in your knowledge, as even learning the very basics of a topic can get you some marks when used alongside excellent evaluation and analyse. Good luck to us all!
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm doing it this year and just had my mock this morning. I found that using flashcards was really helpful and doing past paper questions (especially the 16 makers)
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4670048

I have a poll on going if anyone would like to take part, would be very useful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending