Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can I get fired for calling in sick on probation?? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've missed two days of work for being sick but I'm still on probation. Can I get fired for this?

ReputationRep:
    Sick note? If not then yes..at least where I work

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    you probably wont pass probation as you shouldnt have any sick or late days in the probationary period
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by chickenfoot)
    you probably wont pass probation as you shouldnt have any sick or late days in the probationary period
    Not necessarily. Sometimes the probation period gets extended by the number of working days the person is ill for. It varies by company so the OP will need to check with HR to see what the conditions are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenfoot)
    Wth. I can't help being sick

ReputationRep:
    Bump pls

ReputationRep:
    Unless your arms are hanging off you should go in anyway, if you're too sick to work they'll send you home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Bump pls
    This is all you need to do:
    (Original post by UWS)
    It varies by company so the OP will need to check with HR to see what the conditions are.
    No one here can tell you the answer. Ask your workplace, not the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogofjudah)
    Unless your arms are hanging off you should go in anyway, if you're too sick to work they'll send you home.
    this ^^^

companies will vary... during your probation they can fire you for anything, that's the whole point of the probation so they can 'test you out' before committing to you

often you won't get sick pay or any benefits during the probation period so bear that in mind

many places will fire someone who has time off during their probation as it then appears they may take a lot of time off sick... others will be more lenient and understand that you can't control when illness hits

in general though going in anyway and getting sent home is a better option as then they will know you're extremely sick and you have showed commitment to the job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    this ^^^

companies will vary... during your probation they can fire you for anything, that's the whole point of the probation so they can 'test you out' before committing to you

often you won't get sick pay or any benefits during the probation period so bear that in mind

many places will fire someone who has time off during their probation as it then appears they may take a lot of time off sick... others will be more lenient and understand that you can't control when illness hits

in general though going in anyway and getting sent home is a better option as then they will know you're extremely sick and you have showed commitment to the job
    If I was fired purely for being sick on one occasion during a 6 month probation period, would that count as reasonable grounds to take my employer to court? I understand they are allowed to fire me, but it'd seem a bit unfair to dismiss me for something I have no control over.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If I was fired purely for being sick on one occasion during a 6 month probation period, would that count as reasonable grounds to take my employer to court? I understand they are allowed to fire me, but it'd seem a bit unfair to dismiss me for something I have no control over.
    Whilst it does seem harsh to fire you for being off once during the 6 months- the fact is you where still on probation so they could fire you for whatever reason they wanted.

ReputationRep:
    If I was fired purely for being sick on one occasion during a 6 month probation period, would that count as reasonable grounds to take my employer to court?
    No.

I understand they are allowed to fire me, but it'd seem a bit unfair to dismiss me for something I have no control over.
    Be that as it may; see above.

ReputationRep:
    no they wont, Retails stores such at Tesco and Asda would not send employees home.

ReputationRep:
    Employers won't send you home unless you are contagious or working in the food industry for example
    You're giving an awful lot of credence to an employer actually giving a damn if you're well or not
    The days where, if you arrive at work ill, you'll be sent home to bed are long gone
    An employer can end your contract for any or no reason during probation. You don't have a permanent contract and you can't use the tribunal service. Plus it's pretty expensive at the mo
    Two days off sick may or not be an issue for lots of reasons Is it an ongoing problem they're aware of?
    Were you really too poorly to go or swinging it a bit?
    Do you have any other complaints against you?
    Why not have a word with your boss and ask for a progress update. Ask what you can improve. It's proactive and will work in your favour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    Employers won't send you home unless you are contagious or working in the food industry for example
    You're giving an awful lot of credence to an employer actually giving a damn if you're well or not
    The days where, if you arrive at work ill, you'll be sent home to bed are long gone
    An employer can end your contract for any or no reason during probation. You don't have a permanent contract and you can't use the tribunal service. Plus it's pretty expensive at the mo
    Two days off sick may or not be an issue for lots of reasons Is it an ongoing problem they're aware of?
    Were you really too poorly to go or swinging it a bit?
    Do you have any other complaints against you?
    Why not have a word with your boss and ask for a progress update. Ask what you can improve. It's proactive and will work in your favour
    Old thread lol. I didn't get fired
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Hey folks, just a quick reminder not to bump old threads, please! I'll lock this thread now, but if you have queries on a similar subject, then feel free to make a new thread

Old thread lol. I didn't get fired
    That said, I'm pleased to hear you weren't fired :hat2:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.