The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official Oxford University 2017 Entry Postgraduate Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Appplicant
Thanks, I'm delighted :smile: they do an MPhil in Criminology and one in Criminological Research (the one I applied for). That's great, congrats to you too!

Hey, sorry to barge in on your conversation. I haven't seen anyone who has applied to these courses so far!! I have also applied for the MSc in Criminology and Criminal Justice, and the MPhil in Criminological Research at Cambridge. If you don't mind me asking, when did you apply for the MPhil?

Good luck to both of you!!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 461
Original post by ViralRiver
Congrats, when is it for?

It's tomorrow! I'm worried as I have no idea what they might ask... :frown:
Original post by Jess2695
Hey, sorry to barge in on your conversation. I haven't seen anyone who has applied to these courses so far!! I have also applied for the MSc in Criminology and Criminal Justice, and the MPhil in Criminological Research at Cambridge. If you don't mind me asking, when did you apply for the MPhil?

Good luck to both of you!!

Barge away!

I can't remember my exact timings, but I applied for the MPhil towards the end of November, 2 weeks at awaiting consideration, about 2 months under consideration, then it was just at BoGS. And I'm still seeking college membership.

Good luck to you too :smile:
Original post by mochiii
It's tomorrow! I'm worried as I have no idea what they might ask... :frown:

Good luck and please let us know what it's like. I have mine on Wednesday.
Reply 464
Just received my rejection for the DPhil in Computer Science. No Interview or Feedback.
Reply 465
Original post by T_Tornado
Hi Kurdt,

File names don't matter since the supporting documents get combined into one single PDF and gets sent out to the faculty that way (it says so on the supporting documents page in your account). Do upload your files as PDFs though.

T, yep as you can see I should be taking more time and be careful - but like agh looming deadline, left late, "issues" regarding chance of acceptance,

By the way on a good note, had old lector scheduled to call for reminder - turns out he already emailed me this morning apologising for the delay - so that one is finally settled - just knock up a convincing personal statement, and CV should be no big deal (what are they expecting a 21 yr old fresh graduate to say: am member of local squash club?)
is anyone applying to phd dtp in Environmental Research? anyone heard
Original post by Kurdt
T, yep as you can see I should be taking more time and be careful - but like agh looming deadline, left late, "issues" regarding chance of acceptance,

By the way on a good note, had old lector scheduled to call for reminder - turns out he already emailed me this morning apologising for the delay - so that one is finally settled - just knock up a convincing personal statement, and CV should be no big deal (what are they expecting a 21 yr old fresh graduate to say: am member of local squash club?)

Hey Kurdt,

Good to hear! Good luck with your application!
I had my interview for an MSc related to maths... Good luck to everyone haha
Do you know how long it normally takes for them to give feedback after the interview?
Original post by Appplicant
Barge away!

I can't remember my exact timings, but I applied for the MPhil towards the end of November, 2 weeks at awaiting consideration, about 2 months under consideration, then it was just at BoGS. And I'm still seeking college membership.

Good luck to you too :smile:

Thanks :smile: wow that is quite a while then! What college have you applied for, if you don't mind me asking?
Hey,

Anyone who applied for Maths and Foundations of Computer Science in the January deadline still waiting to hear back?
Reply 471
Original post by capplicant
Good luck and please let us know what it's like. I have mine on Wednesday.

Thanks and good luck to you too!

It was nothing unexpected actually. There were non-technical questions like why Oxford, what you want to do after the course and the technical questions were based on your previous experience in computing (there were only a couple, I think this one depends on what you put down in your personal statement or how the conversation goes). It only lasted for 20 mins and they said I should hear back in 2-3 weeks.

I actually did the same interview 2 years ago, and it was purely technical, a question after another (about basic computing concepts like algorithms), none of which I could answer - hugely embarrassing! This time it was a lot more friendly and conversation-like which helped. But not hugely successful I'd say. :/ Now I just have to stop thinking about everything I did wrong/couldn't answer in the interview and get on with my life haha.
Has anybody been in touch with the History Faculty to get an indication of when we can expect results? I know the 10 week rule but have other offers pending that I shall need to give an answer to soon.
Reply 473
Original post by gradhistor
Has anybody been in touch with the History Faculty to get an indication of when we can expect results? I know the 10 week rule but have other offers pending that I shall need to give an answer to soon.

Not yet. According to the 8-10 week time-frame and the results for previous applicants to my course on Gradcafe I'm expecting/hoping to hear in the last 3 weeks of March.

You might find this information on their website helpful: "If you need to know the outcome earlier in order to make a decision by a deadline set by another institution, you can contact the academic department to ask whether this would be possible. However, since applications are assessed comparatively it is not usually possible to obtain your outcome earlier." (from https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/after-you-apply/decision-timeline?wssl=1 under 'departmental decision')
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 474
anyone from jan deadline still waiting to hear?
Just had my MSc Comp Sci interview. Went pretty bad in regards to the technical questions. Oh well.
Original post by ibby234
anyone from jan deadline still waiting to hear?

Here I am (Ancient History DPhil applicant). My self-service status is still "ready for assessment in January deadline" - I expect to hear in the next few weeks.
Offer for a DPhil in Philosophy! 😧💁
Original post by apt9
Not yet. According to the 8-10 week time-frame and the results for previous applicants to my course on Gradcafe I'm expecting/hoping to hear in the last 3 weeks of March.

You might find this information on their website helpful: "If you need to know the outcome earlier in order to make a decision by a deadline set by another institution, you can contact the academic department to ask whether this would be possible. However, since applications are assessed comparatively it is not usually possible to obtain your outcome earlier." (from https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/after-you-apply/decision-timeline?wssl=1 under 'departmental decision'

Thanks, I am aware of the time frame. When I read for my Masters there they notified me early - my email records say 9th March - and I was just curious whether anybody else had enquired whether they were on track this year or running late etc.

The results usually trickle out during the tail end of 8th week Hilary, which would imply next Friday, but I know there's a new system for administering admissions this year so wouldn't want to place reliance upon this.

Best of luck everybody applying.
In shock. Just been accepted for DPhil English and been offered a faculty studentship. I'll hasten to add that it's not Clarendon/AHRC etc. so not to alarm those who haven't heard back yet about funding in English and the wider Humanities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending