The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official Oxford University 2017 Entry Postgraduate Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Original post by SethP
Can Area Studies count? :P

I don't see why not! :smile:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Can anyone tell me about open admissions?

Some Masters are still open for the course
and I'm wondering if it's because there aren't
enough applicants or there are, but just giving us a chance.
Does anyone know or has been accepted to
Comparative and International Education?

Wondering what kind of interview questions there are...

Thanks
Original post by Franas
Same, is it me or does the history department seem to be quite quiet on both the rejection and offer front? I've heard from friends that they're typically pretty prompt in sending out application outcomes- guess only a few days to go until 10th week (I think)

I got an offer for the MSt in History of Art from the History Faculty yesterday, and my friend had her offer for the MSt in British and European History on Tuesday.... results are coming!
Original post by zonotagal
If my offer letter states an "initial academic contact" - does it necessarily mean that that person is also my academic supervisor? (History Masters)

[And if so - is it changebale?]

It's negotiable too - I plan to work with my undergrad supervisor rather than the supervisor allocated to me by the department
Original post by colourtheory
I got an offer for the MSt in History of Art from the History Faculty yesterday, and my friend had her offer for the MSt in British and European History on Tuesday.... results are coming!

Still waiting...
Original post by gradhistor
Still waiting...

I suspect they're going through the list alphabetically

Probably. I know the staff and could phone and get the result but feels a bit improper. I think it would probably be much quicker if there were a centralised process for notifications but, the wheels of bureaucracy turn slowly.
It's negotiable too - I plan to work with my undergrad supervisor rather than the supervisor allocated to me by the department

May I ask which supervisor you were given?

So what letter are we up to now?
Original post by Cartier0
May I ask which supervisor you were given?

Hanneke Grootenboer - you?
Original post by Camilli
So what letter are we up to now?

I'm T - my friend beginning S had her letter before me, and my other friend beginning W is still waiting... I might be totally wrong of course, but I suspect this is the case... It might also be slightly different for acceptances vs. rejections - the Oxbridge system is notoriously mystical
Original post by gradhistor
Probably. I know the staff and could phone and get the result but feels a bit improper. I think it would probably be much quicker if there were a centralised process for notifications but, the wheels of bureaucracy turn slowly.

I would wait - getting the email etc. is half the fun... and besides, there's plenty in the letter to read so it's worth absorbing all the info at once
Hanneke Grootenboer - you?

Miguel de Baca
I finally buckled under and called my prospective supervisor. It appears that a fool and his money are soon invited everywhere-- as far as he knows, I will be getting an offer.
I have a question.

How does the Oxford college allocation system work?

I didn't think I had a hope of getting an offer, so I more or less randomly chose Keble College. Does this mean that if Keble accept me, I will not be considered by "better" (i.e. wealthier) colleges? What if both Keble and, say, Merton (hah) wanted me—would I go to Keble?

It's all very confusing.
I think if you have room at the college you selected, that settles it.

Otherwise, you will get shopped around. If you've asked for funding (or there is a scholarship aimed at people like you that is attached to a particular college), that might have an impact in your eventual destination. I haven't heard that one college will poach another's student although anything is possible in a process so opaque and tradition-bound.
Original post by Camilli
I finally buckled under and called my prospective supervisor. It appears that a fool and his money are soon invited everywhere-- as far as he knows, I will be getting an offer.

What does this do for the alphabet theory?
I come before "T", so that longer holds in its purest form.

It is also possible that the sub-topics are being batched. Have there been US History DPhils offered yet?

Another possibility, of course, is that Oxford has no system for this that is logical to outsiders.
Original post by Camilli
I come before "T", so that longer holds in its purest form.

It is also possible that the sub-topics are being batched. Have there been US History DPhils offered yet?

Another possibility, of course, is that Oxford has no system for this that is logical to outsiders.

Back to the drawing board then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending