The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official Oxford University 2017 Entry Postgraduate Thread!

Scroll to see replies

After being waitlisted, I finally got my offer for MSc Sociology last week - haven't heard back from a college but I think that's normal. No funding unfortunately :frown:

Has anyone else been admitted for MSc Sociology?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Received an email from St Cross which invited me to apply for one of their scholarships. That scholarship targets at student studying in my own country and who will be starting a D.Phil in humanities. The deadline was originally Jan Deadline and that is why I didn't apply. It is now changed to May 5th and the officer asked me to reply if I am interested. Have anyone any idea about St Cross? And do you think this email means a real chance? I am pretty unsure if I should apply as that means I will have to bother my referees again...
Reply 1122
Original post by Sherryin
Received an email from St Cross which invited me to apply for one of their scholarships. That scholarship targets at student studying in my own country and who will be starting a D.Phil in humanities. The deadline was originally Jan Deadline and that is why I didn't apply. It is now changed to May 5th and the officer asked me to reply if I am interested. Have anyone any idea about St Cross? And do you think this email means a real chance? I am pretty unsure if I should apply as that means I will have to bother my referees again...

That sounds like a real chance to me! If I were you, I would try to apply even if that means you will bother your referees (and don't worry about that part so much as far as I know, they once were in your position and had to bother their own referees, too, so they are usually quite happy to pay their debt). Fingers crossed!
Original post by Sherryin

Sounds like you definitely should apply if the college has actively sought you out! I applied for something like 7 different scholarships over the past year and it did feel awful having to ask my referees over and over again, but as one of my referees pointed out to me: if they're willing to be your referee in the first place, then they obviously like you enough to want you to succeed, and besides, after the first letter has been written, it's not much more work to modify it for other occasions. And if you really don't want to keep asking the same people, could you ask some other people? I had a pool of 6 referees, so that I didn't have to ask anyone to do more than 3 letters.

Plus St Cross looks really nice, it's centrally located and looks like it has good accommodation. I'd rank it pretty high up among the graduate colleges.
It has been exactly 10 weeks since I received my departmental offer, but I still haven't received anything from my preferred college (which is St John's).... :frown:
hi guys,
does anyone know when the results will come out if I applied
just before the deadline?

I applied for an education major last thursday
and I know it's late, but i just wanted to know when the results will come out.

also worried that all the places are full and they just opened it for a few more weeks...

hope you guys get good results on colleges!
Just received my offer for Oriel College (MSc Computer Science) after spending the entire day convincing myself to decline Oxford's offer and take up UCL's. Now that the college offer has come through it's suddenly made me think again x_x. I hate this decision process! But it looks like no funding at all for me as not a single funding body has contacted me x_x.
Original post by barbo
That sounds like a real chance to me! If I were you, I would try to apply even if that means you will bother your referees (and don't worry about that part so much as far as I know, they once were in your position and had to bother their own referees, too, so they are usually quite happy to pay their debt). Fingers crossed!

Original post by neahel
Sounds like you definitely should apply if the college has actively sought you out! I applied for something like 7 different scholarships over the past year and it did feel awful having to ask my referees over and over again, but as one of my referees pointed out to me: if they're willing to be your referee in the first place, then they obviously like you enough to want you to succeed, and besides, after the first letter has been written, it's not much more work to modify it for other occasions. And if you really don't want to keep asking the same people, could you ask some other people? I had a pool of 6 referees, so that I didn't have to ask anyone to do more than 3 letters.

Plus St Cross looks really nice, it's centrally located and looks like it has good accommodation. I'd rank it pretty high up among the graduate colleges.

Thank you barbo and neahel! That is very comforting! I sent them an email to confirm if I am eligible to apply and they just replied that they have inquired with the funding body and I am perfectly eligible. Also they say they are happy to receive my application via email (originally the documents were required to be submitted by post). So I think that does mean a real chance and I would definitely give it a try. Thank you again for your kind suggestions!
Reply 1128
Original post by ViralRiver
Just received my offer for Oriel College (MSc Computer Science) after spending the entire day convincing myself to decline Oxford's offer and take up UCL's. Now that the college offer has come through it's suddenly made me think again x_x. I hate this decision process! But it looks like no funding at all for me as not a single funding body has contacted me x_x.

Nice one, was Oriel your preferred college on your application? Congrats
I'm looking to apply to a masters at Oxford next year but am worried about my grades. As my uni only take our best 5, my overall degree is still on track to do quite well. However, my overall average is relatively low.

1st year: 70, 62, 59, 53 (my uni takes average of top 3).
2nd year: 70, 70, 65, 40.

It means that I need 3 firsts out of 4 modules in final year to get a first overall. Would Oxford consider the way my uni grades their degrees, or will Oxford simply take the mean average of all modules?
Original post by apt9
Nice one, was Oriel your preferred college on your application? Congrats

Thanks :smile:. Yeah it was my preferred college but my reasons for choosing it 8 months ago have changed significantly.

I wish I could just defer Oxfords course, go to UCL and then go back to Oxford the year after and do two masters in total xD

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Has anyone received, or heard of anyone receiving a late Clarendon offer (from being on the 'wait-list')? It seems from recent years that people were kept up to date on their place in the 'cue', but I can't even get anyone to confirm for me whether I am on a wait-list, though my assumption is that I am am, because I was nominated for a Clarendon by my department but wasn't awarded one in the main round.
So frustrating...! haha :argh:
Thanks :smile:. Yeah it was my preferred college but my reasons for choosing it 8 months ago have changed significantly.

I wish I could just defer Oxfords course, go to UCL and then go back to Oxford the year after and do two masters in total xD

I am pretty sure you can do that the other way round (defer UCL's offer and take up Oxford's this year). That's exactly what I did.
Hey all! It's been a while since I've been on these forums (when Oxford rejected me as an undergraudate, in fact...). Firstly, is anyone on the CDT for Synthetic Biology course, or at Wadham?

Secondly, a question about the Clarendon scholarship I've replied to the offer letter, but is that letter sufficient evidence for the financial declaration form? Thanks!
Original post by Katox123
I am pretty sure you can do that the other way round (defer UCL's offer and take up Oxford's this year). That's exactly what I did.

Oh really? So you did 2 masters courses in the end? What were the course names if you don't mind me asking?
Oh really? So you did 2 masters courses in the end? What were the course names if you don't mind me asking?

So I applied to Cambridge and UCL last year, got admitted to both. I got a full scholarship for Cambridge, so I deferred UCL's offer (which they allowed). I am doing my masters at Cambridge now, but I don't think I will take up UCL's offer this year as I have been admitted to a DPhil programme at Oxford.

It's MSc in Neuroscience.
Reply 1136
Anyone with an offer from Mansfield?
Original post by Katox123
So I applied to Cambridge and UCL last year, got admitted to both. I got a full scholarship for Cambridge, so I deferred UCL's offer (which they allowed). I am doing my masters at Cambridge now, but I don't think I will take up UCL's offer this year as I have been admitted to a DPhil programme at Oxford.

It's MSc in Neuroscience.

Thanks for your reply. I've been going through my options a lot in my head and I'm seriously considering this. Oxfords course is in computer science and UCLs is in machine learning, a sort of subset of CS, or at least an application of it. I really want to do both and instead of seeing either option as a good choice I see them both as bad choices as I'd be neglecting the other. I already have a masters degree in engineering (4 year integrated undergrad) and I don't want to be seen by potential employers as a perpetual student - but I really want to study both streams! Ahh it's a difficult decision :/.

Hi! Has anyone accepted to Mphil in Development Studies heard about college allocation yet? or funding?
Thanks for your reply. I've been going through my options a lot in my head and I'm seriously considering this. Oxfords course is in computer science and UCLs is in machine learning, a sort of subset of CS, or at least an application of it. I really want to do both and instead of seeing either option as a good choice I see them both as bad choices as I'd be neglecting the other. I already have a masters degree in engineering (4 year integrated undergrad) and I don't want to be seen by potential employers as a perpetual student - but I really want to study both streams! Ahh it's a difficult decision :/.

seems to me you have no intention to stay in academia but to venture out into the private industry. if that's the case, don't think about deferring your UCL's offer. Work Experience >>>>> Academic qualifications in the private industry. Employers in general don't like applicants with multiple postgraduate degrees, imo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending