The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official Oxford University 2017 Entry Postgraduate Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I've applied for an MPhil in Development Studies as well and have heard back from them. Got a conditional offer (1.1). Haven't heard about funding yet though, I applied for the Weidenfeld and Hoffmann scholarship.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by saiversailles
Hi! I've applied for an MPhil in Development Studies as well and have heard back from them. Got a conditional offer (1.1). Haven't heard about funding yet though, I applied for the Weidenfeld and Hoffmann scholarship.

Hi! I've applied to the Weidenfeld and Hoffman scholarship and haven't heard back either. I have an unconditional offer since its been a couple of years since I did my undergrad. I haven't heard about departmental funding either. Have you received your college email yet?
Original post by deventhusiast
Hi! I've applied to the Weidenfeld and Hoffman scholarship and haven't heard back either. I have an unconditional offer since its been a couple of years since I did my undergrad. I haven't heard about departmental funding either. Have you received your college email yet?

Hey there! I received an e-mail regarding W&H a few weeks ago, saying that they'd get back to successful applicants by the 26th of April. They also said that if you haven't heard from them by May 1, then you should just assume that your application was unsuccessful... but I'm wondering maybe they're late on this regard, or I'm just highly optimistic?!

I have heard from my college, I got an e-mail as well as a letter through the post. Saint Cross College :-)
Hey there! I received an e-mail regarding W&H a few weeks ago, saying that they'd get back to successful applicants by the 26th of April. They also said that if you haven't heard from them by May 1, then you should just assume that your application was unsuccessful... but I'm wondering maybe they're late on this regard, or I'm just highly optimistic?!

I have heard from my college, I got an e-mail as well as a letter through the post. Saint Cross College :-)

Saint Cross is one of the good ones ! :smile:

I received the W & H email as well. I hope they're late as well but an email informing all applicants could have been sent, if that were the case? I don't know. Haha. We'll know in the following week. I sent an email to grad funding a week back and they told me that all applicants should wait till May 4th.

And I haven't heard from a college yet. Unfortunately.
Received first choice College offer - very surprising. I am supposedly being considered for funding but I doubt it hasn't already been allocated so this is probably just a polite turn of phrase.

This is New College, by the way.

hey, i got allocated to st cross too! very pleased with it.

question: with the financial declaration, how do we send proof of the government loan if we can't apply for it yet? sorry if this is a basic question but i'm in that exam horror void where i need everything very carefully spelt out to me or it won't go in :tongue:
Original post by gradhistor
Received first choice College offer - very surprising. I am supposedly being considered for funding but I doubt it hasn't already been allocated so this is probably just a polite turn of phrase.

Hey ! Which department will you be joining?
I will likely be a few blocks from y'all at St Antony's, so I hope we will intersect at some point.
Reply 1168
Still waiting for a college 5 weeks after the department's offer. Got rejected by my first choice within 36 hours, ha.
Original post by gradhistor

Did they indicate in your letter/email that you'd be considered for funding? Still waiting :frown:
Did they indicate in your letter/email that you'd be considered for funding? Still waiting :frown:

I think it might depend on department- as my offer letter said nothing about being considered for funding, and I had no idea until I received some. Though it's still not clear to me what funding I was considered for- as I only received a small bursary and no major funding. The whole process has been very opaque from my perspective. Good luck with it all! :-)
Reply 1171
Did anyone receive a Weidenfeld scholarship?
Hey guys! For anyone that's applied for the Weidenfeld and Hoffmann scholarship, I have just spoken to the Funding department and they said that they will have their last shortlisting meeting today. Apparently, if you don't hear from them by the 4th of May (Thursday), then assume your application has been unsuccessful. They seemed to have stretched this out a little bit, so I'm glad I called to confirm this!

Re: departmental funding, this is something that your respective department deals with directly. In the case of those in the QEH International Development Studies department, decisions will be made by the end of this week. Hope this gives some of you peace of mind.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1173
I have just received a £3,000 scholarship from Durham. Haven't heard anything from Oxford about funding yet... does anyone have any advice? Should I take my place at Durham and drop out of my acceptance from Oxford? I think it is now too late to hope for anything from Oxford?

I did my undergrad at Oxford so have already had the 'Oxford experience' and I can't really afford to turn down £3,000... especially when the Durham course is also cheaper and cheaper to live up north. (And close to home because my family live in County Durham). But it does mean rejecting a university higher in the league tables to go to one lower...

So confused!!
Original post by IGR
I have just received a £3,000 scholarship from Durham. Haven't heard anything from Oxford about funding yet... does anyone have any advice? Should I take my place at Durham and drop out of my acceptance from Oxford? I think it is now too late to hope for anything from Oxford?

I did my undergrad at Oxford so have already had the 'Oxford experience' and I can't really afford to turn down £3,000... especially when the Durham course is also cheaper and cheaper to live up north. (And close to home because my family live in County Durham). But it does mean rejecting a university higher in the league tables to go to one lower...

So confused!!

Hi IGR,

Although it seems like a lot of the scholarships have been sent out (and Oxford's scholarship system is opaque so it's difficult to say if anything will come up), do you have any deadlines from Oxford or Durham that mean you need to give up Oxford's offer now? It might be worth waiting it out just in case Oxford does offer you anything at all - plenty of people reject at the last minute to keep their options open.

Is this scholarship for a master's? And do you want to go onto a PhD? Whilst I understand that Oxford is higher up in the league tables, there are a few things worth noting:

Firstly, if you attended Oxford, you've got that credential already. I don't think it would be any less impressive if you attended somewhere 'below' on the league tables. Experiencing another institution is also very much encouraged in HE (although, of course, plenty of people study at the same place for all their degrees and don't feel bereft). Besides, Durham is a prestigious research university and will certainly not look unimpressive if you went there instead! Secondly, demonstrating that you can get funding as a master's student can help your PhD funding applications. Not to mention that master's courses are relatively short and will be finished before you know it. Even if you wanted to go somewhere at the top of the European/world league tables, there's always the PhD to do that. Also, considering the lack of funding for master's students, it's impressive that you've secured that money! If it will help you to achieve the master's and give you less of a financial headache, I think going for funding rather than prestige is generally advisable.

However, it sounds like you are torn and like the idea of studying at Oxford. Research strength is important at postgraduate level. If the department is very strong in your area, that's not a bad reason for wanting to go to Oxford. Additionally, if you feel that Oxford would best prepare you for a doctorate with its research training, that's another reason why going there may be a good idea. Nevertheless, I think it's worth considering Durham now and perhaps reapplying to Oxford for a doctorate. I wouldn't judge you for choosing either Oxford or Durham, though!

I hope that helps!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1175
Original post by MinimaMoralia
Hi IGR,

Although it seems like a lot of the scholarships have been sent out (and Oxford's scholarship system is opaque so it's difficult to say if anything will come up), do you have any deadlines from Oxford or Durham that mean you need to give up Oxford's offer now? It might be worth waiting it out just in case Oxford does offer you anything at all - plenty of people reject at the last minute to keep their options open.

Is this scholarship for a master's? And do you want to go onto a PhD? Whilst I understand that Oxford is higher up in the league tables, there are a few things worth noting:

Firstly, if you attended Oxford, you've got that credential already. I don't think it would be any less impressive if you attended somewhere 'below' on the league tables. Experiencing another institution is also very much encouraged in HE (although, of course, plenty of people study at the same place for all their degrees and don't feel bereft). Besides, Durham is a prestigious research university and will certainly not look unimpressive if you went there instead! Secondly, demonstrating that you can get funding as a master's student can help your PhD funding applications. Not to mention that master's courses are relatively short and will be finished before you know it. Even if you wanted to go somewhere at the top of the European/world league tables, there's always the PhD to do that. Also, considering the lack of funding for master's students, it's impressive that you've secured that money! If it will help you to achieve the master's and give you less of a financial headache, I think going for funding rather than prestige is generally advisable.

However, it sounds like you are torn and like the idea of studying at Oxford. Research strength is important at postgraduate level. If the department is very strong in your area, that's not a bad reason for wanting to go to Oxford. Additionally, if you feel that Oxford would best prepare you for a doctorate with its research training, that's another reason why going there may be a good idea. Nevertheless, I think it's worth considering Durham now and perhaps reapplying to Oxford for a doctorate. I wouldn't judge you for choosing either Oxford or Durham, though!

I hope that helps!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I am applying for a taught MA at Durham and a taught MSt at Oxford, focusing on modern theology and religion. Oxford and Durham have come out as the top two institutions for theology in the new European rankings ( and 2nd & 3rd respectively globally), so both have great reputations, (but Oxford slightly better). I studied theology for my undergrad at Oxford so I suppose I do already have that credibility going forwards.

I want to go on to do a PhD, yes. I think you're right that I am best to go to Durham. It is such a tricky situation - but of course an incredibly lucky and privileged one to be in. But with no guarantee of funding in the future, if I can save myself £3,000 now, it feels the most sensible option.

I have accepted Durham and Oxford and need to drop out of one. My only deadlines are accepting the scholarship by next week which I will do, and then a college room deposit for Oxford by June. I think I will accept the scholarship and see if anything happens with Oxford this month. And if no funding comes through (which as you say is unlikely for a Masters,) I will reject Oxford and go to Durham.

Looks like I'm returning to the North where I grew up! (I grew up in County Durham, which I think unfortunately is why I don't fully appreciate its great reputation - it was always just the local uni!)

Thanks again for your help :smile:
Original post by IGR

So confused!!

You shouldn't really be thinking about league tables because some departments from lesser known universities are in fact very strong. I suggest reading the course programme (e.g. modules) as well as the research profiles of professors, then see which university/department you'd prefer to study in. If they equally weigh out, then you'd have to make a choice on whether you'd prioritise a tuition discount or a better programme. Mind you, some universities offer like £1,000 discounts on postgrad tuition for alumni students. Not sure if Oxford does, but it would be worth checking...
If you look over on forum.thegradcafe.com , you'll see a lot of advice about that-- finding fit with supervisors, etc. That is less true in the humanities, where you don't need to set up a whole lab to handle your research question, and competence/status is a little harder to measure without the brand name of the university, but it's worth a thought.

In any case, for an MA/MSt, the prestige differences won't be too much to worry about-- assuming you end up performing well where you wind up. If you're eventually doing a doctorate, nobody will care where you got your master's unless that is the only blue-chip name on your CV. And to get admission to a doctorate, the main thing is getting a good proposal together and finding someone who wants to take you on, while putting enough smiley faces on your transcripts to keep the admissions committee happy. Assuming you want to get back into Oxford (or Cambridge), as long as you can put out feelers and develop a credible proposal while you're getting your dissertation together at Durham, all will be well. Just keep your contacts at Oxford warm and earn recommendations on next year's research.
Reply 1178
You shouldn't really be thinking about league tables because some departments from lesser known universities are in fact very strong. I suggest reading the course programme (e.g. modules) as well as the research profiles of professors, then see which university/department you'd prefer to study in. If they equally weigh out, then you'd have to make a choice on whether you'd prioritise a tuition discount or a better programme. Mind you, some universities offer like £1,000 discounts on postgrad tuition for alumni students. Not sure if Oxford does, but it would be worth checking...

I have checked. Oxford is 2nd in the world for theology and Durham is 3rd, (1st and 2nd in Europe). Both courses fit with what I want to do. That's why it is such a tricky decision because Oxford does pip it to the post but there isn't much in it.

I wouldn't apply without knowing course reputation and module content.
(edited 6 years ago)
Sharing my experience for any Fine Art people.

Program: Doctor of Philosophy in Fine Art at the Ruskin School of Art
Interview: March 3rd
Received acceptance from Oxford/department: March 13
Received college acceptance from my preferred college (St. Anne's-- which I picked randomly and would welcome any insights?): May 2

No word on funding but I'm in the process for two scholarships. Hoping to secure hefty funding. Nonetheless, I've gone ahead and accepted my offer.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending