Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I hope you are are having an amazing day.

It is the last week of the summer holidays and I am about to go into year 11 in September and I am really scared about this year 11 as I have my GCSE exams this year and the GCSEs have become tougher. The reason why I am scared is that I have a lot of pressure from my parents as they want me to do well in my exams and I am the first child sitting GCSEs in my whole family and as I am the first child in the family sitting GCSE's i have no one like my cousins or siblings to talk to and get advice. In year 10 I have done well acedemically but i think I have not taken GCSEs seriously but now at the end of these summer holidays I have really started to feel the pressure and every night I think about what will happen if I fail and how I would end up in life. I have sat my Business exam this year and I think I done well in the exam and I have submitted 4 assignments for business. I have also done my 60% of my Spanish course and I have managed to get 2 A's and 2 A*'s in my controlled assessment.

I just want advice for GCSE exams next year and I want to know when I should start revising for my exams. I am also scared about the exams because most exams are going to take place in the month of Ramadan so I will be fasting during the exams which will make it really tough.

The subjects I am taking next year are Spanish (AQA), Geography (Edexcel B), Business Studies (Edexcel), the new tougher maths GCSEs (Edexcel and the grading for maths is now 9-1), statistics, further maths, core and additional science (AQA) and the subjects I am most scared of, English language and literature as i will be sitting the new English GCSEs which is 100% exams so there are no controlled assessments and English has now become a really tough subject as I will have to know 15 poems from an anthology as we will not be given them in the exam.

I would like to know if I should start revising as soon as school begins or just before exams and I would love to receive advice and tips from people in order to pass my GCSEs and I would like to know when I should start revising for mocks and the real exams (how many months or weeks before the exams) as I am aiming for A's and A*'s as I believe I have the potential to achieve these grades but not in English as I am not really good at English. It would be great if anyone could offer me any tips and advice for year 11 as I would really appreciate it.

PS: I will be going on holiday in the October half term between 22 October and 30 October to meet my grandparents and I don't know if that might effect my revision and grades.

Thanks for taking your time to read my post and I hope I get many tips and advice from you and I hope you have an amazing day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superboy123)
    Hi, I hope you are are having an amazing day.

It is the last week of the summer holidays and I am about to go into year 11 in September and I am really scared about this year 11 as I have my GCSE exams this year and the GCSEs have become tougher. The reason why I am scared is that I have a lot of pressure from my parents as they want me to do well in my exams and I am the first child sitting GCSEs in my whole family and as I am the first child in the family sitting GCSE's i have no one like my cousins or siblings to talk to and get advice. In year 10 I have done well acedemically but i think I have not taken GCSEs seriously but now at the end of these summer holidays I have really started to feel the pressure and every night I think about what will happen if I fail and how I would end up in life. I have sat my Business exam this year and I think I done well in the exam and I have submitted 4 assignments for business. I have also done my 60% of my Spanish course and I have managed to get 2 A's and 2 A*'s in my controlled assessment.

I just want advice for GCSE exams next year and I want to know when I should start revising for my exams. I am also scared about the exams because most exams are going to take place in the month of Ramadan so I will be fasting during the exams which will make it really tough.

The subjects I am taking next year are Spanish (AQA), Geography (Edexcel B), Business Studies (Edexcel), the new tougher maths GCSEs (Edexcel and the grading for maths is now 9-1), statistics, further maths, core and additional science (AQA) and the subjects I am most scared of, English language and literature as i will be sitting the new English GCSEs which is 100% exams so there are no controlled assessments and English has now become a really tough subject as I will have to know 15 poems from an anthology as we will not be given them in the exam.

I would like to know if I should start revising as soon as school begins or just before exams and I would love to receive advice and tips from people in order to pass my GCSEs and I would like to know when I should start revising for mocks and the real exams (how many months or weeks before the exams) as I am aiming for A's and A*'s as I believe I have the potential to achieve these grades but not in English as I am not really good at English. It would be great if anyone could offer me any tips and advice for year 11 as I would really appreciate it.

PS: I will be going on holiday in the October half term between 22 October and 30 October to meet my grandparents and I don't know if that might effect my revision and grades.

Thanks for taking your time to read my post and I hope I get many tips and advice from you and I hope you have an amazing day.
    I felt the exact same going into year 11 however i did not have pressure from my parents (it was actually myself that made me sick from pressure). I personally would not revise as soon as school starts and i doubt a holiday in october would hinder your grades. Treat your homework as revision and put 100% into all of your classes, ask questions if you are confused (something i wish id have done). The key would be to treat your mocks like the real exams and after completing them you will be exam ready anyway so its just a matter of recap and learning from your mistakes made in your mocks. With english i would start earlier as it is a closed book exam so i would get analysis from a range of resources; internet, teachers, friends etc. With the fasting i have no experience or tips to give you but water and sleep would be the main saviour during revision/exam time
    Hope this helps and enjoy your last year before sixth from or whatever you may decide😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiemcq17)
    I felt the exact same going into year 11 however i did not have pressure from my parents (it was actually myself that made me sick from pressure). I personally would not revise as soon as school starts and i doubt a holiday in october would hinder your grades. Treat your homework as revision and put 100% into all of your classes, ask questions if you are confused (something i wish id have done). The key would be to treat your mocks like the real exams and after completing them you will be exam ready anyway so its just a matter of recap and learning from your mistakes made in your mocks. With english i would start earlier as it is a closed book exam so i would get analysis from a range of resources; internet, teachers, friends etc. With the fasting i have no experience or tips to give you but water and sleep would be the main saviour during revision/exam time
    Hope this helps and enjoy your last year before sixth from or whatever you may decide😀
    Thank you so much for the tips.

ReputationRep:
    Hey. Don't panic bout Year 11, it was a great year for me. I just finished year 11 this year so ill give you my tips.

January mocks I started revising in the Christmas holidays (2.5 weeks before). This was ok as we hadn't yet learnt all the specification so there wasn't that much to remember. I found this was fine and with more time I hoped I would do better in my real exams.

Took a 6 week break from revision after mocks as it was very exhausting. Went on holiday during February half term and started lightly revising when I came back (1-2 hours a day max). Properly started revising in the easter holidays (5-6 hours a day) and found this was plenty of time. I found revising at this time better as I still remembered stuff from my mocks but it wasn't so far away that I would forget it all.

During exams I tried to create a revision timetable but I didn't stick to it. Instead I found revising for the subject the next day or the day after helped and on the weekends during exam period I made sure to revise everything for my exams in the coming week. Half term in the middle was handy as it allowed a break (I took 3 days off revision completely) and extra time to study without exams.

If you want advice on how I studied each subject:
    English (Language and Literature)- Mr Bruff youtube. That's all I used. Best revision source. Does videos for your new exams too. (with his help I only lost 1 mark in my whole English literature GCSE)
    Maths- Past papers was all I did. Even though you have the new exam you may find past papers useful anyway.
    Science- print the spec and do all the past papers.
    Spanish- past papers and word flashcards
    Geography- print the spec off and make notes

If you revise well and make notes for your topic tests as you go along you'll be fine. Your October holiday won't make a difference to your grades (in a bad way), just enjoy the time off. I took a week in February off and it made no difference.

If your feeling the pressure from your parents, the best thing to do is to speak to them. I was lucky I guess as the only pressure I got came from myself but when you eliminate the source of the pressure you will be able to focus a lot better.

With the grades you got in your coursework it does not sound like you will fail GCSE but just think of them as a stepping stone to get to do A levels or another qualification or job after GCSE's.

Work hard but enjoy.

I ended up with 6A*'s (biology, chemistry, physics, English lit, PE, geography) 6A's (English lang, art, graphics, RE, Spanish, maths) using the above revision methods.

ReputationRep:
    The CGP revision guides are amazing! Honestly saved my science grade! They have them for nearly all subjects and all exam boards, so I recommend investing in a few. They are available to purchase from Amazon and Ebay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyjf)
    Hey. Don't panic bout Year 11, it was a great year for me. I just finished year 11 this year so ill give you my tips.

January mocks I started revising in the Christmas holidays (2.5 weeks before). This was ok as we hadn't yet learnt all the specification so there wasn't that much to remember. I found this was fine and with more time I hoped I would do better in my real exams.

Took a 6 week break from revision after mocks as it was very exhausting. Went on holiday during February half term and started lightly revising when I came back (1-2 hours a day max). Properly started revising in the easter holidays (5-6 hours a day) and found this was plenty of time. I found revising at this time better as I still remembered stuff from my mocks but it wasn't so far away that I would forget it all.

During exams I tried to create a revision timetable but I didn't stick to it. Instead I found revising for the subject the next day or the day after helped and on the weekends during exam period I made sure to revise everything for my exams in the coming week. Half term in the middle was handy as it allowed a break (I took 3 days off revision completely) and extra time to study without exams.

If you want advice on how I studied each subject:
    English (Language and Literature)- Mr Bruff youtube. That's all I used. Best revision source. Does videos for your new exams too. (with his help I only lost 1 mark in my whole English literature GCSE)
    Maths- Past papers was all I did. Even though you have the new exam you may find past papers useful anyway.
    Science- print the spec and do all the past papers.
    Spanish- past papers and word flashcards
    Geography- print the spec off and make notes

If you revise well and make notes for your topic tests as you go along you'll be fine. Your October holiday won't make a difference to your grades (in a bad way), just enjoy the time off. I took a week in February off and it made no difference.

If your feeling the pressure from your parents, the best thing to do is to speak to them. I was lucky I guess as the only pressure I got came from myself but when you eliminate the source of the pressure you will be able to focus a lot better.

With the grades you got in your coursework it does not sound like you will fail GCSE but just think of them as a stepping stone to get to do A levels or another qualification or job after GCSE's.

Work hard but enjoy.

I ended up with 6A*'s (biology, chemistry, physics, English lit, PE, geography) 6A's (English lang, art, graphics, RE, Spanish, maths) using the above revision methods.
    Thank you so much for your reply and I think that this will motivate me more

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.