HELP!!!! Going into Year 11!!!!

Watch this thread
superboy123
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I hope you are are having an amazing day.

It is the last week of the summer holidays and I am about to go into year 11 in September and I am really scared about this year 11 as I have my GCSE exams this year and the GCSEs have become tougher. The reason why I am scared is that I have a lot of pressure from my parents as they want me to do well in my exams and I am the first child sitting GCSEs in my whole family and as I am the first child in the family sitting GCSE's i have no one like my cousins or siblings to talk to and get advice. In year 10 I have done well acedemically but i think I have not taken GCSEs seriously but now at the end of these summer holidays I have really started to feel the pressure and every night I think about what will happen if I fail and how I would end up in life. I have sat my Business exam this year and I think I done well in the exam and I have submitted 4 assignments for business. I have also done my 60% of my Spanish course and I have managed to get 2 A's and 2 A*'s in my controlled assessment.

I just want advice for GCSE exams next year and I want to know when I should start revising for my exams. I am also scared about the exams because most exams are going to take place in the month of Ramadan so I will be fasting during the exams which will make it really tough.

The subjects I am taking next year are Spanish (AQA), Geography (Edexcel B), Business Studies (Edexcel), the new tougher maths GCSEs (Edexcel and the grading for maths is now 9-1), statistics, further maths, core and additional science (AQA) and the subjects I am most scared of, English language and literature as i will be sitting the new English GCSEs which is 100% exams so there are no controlled assessments and English has now become a really tough subject as I will have to know 15 poems from an anthology as we will not be given them in the exam.

I would like to know if I should start revising as soon as school begins or just before exams and I would love to receive advice and tips from people in order to pass my GCSEs and I would like to know when I should start revising for mocks and the real exams (how many months or weeks before the exams) as I am aiming for A's and A*'s as I believe I have the potential to achieve these grades but not in English as I am not really good at English. It would be great if anyone could offer me any tips and advice for year 11 as I would really appreciate it.

PS: I will be going on holiday in the October half term between 22 October and 30 October to meet my grandparents and I don't know if that might effect my revision and grades.

Thanks for taking your time to read my post and I hope I get many tips and advice from you and I hope you have an amazing day.
Jamiemcq17
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by superboy123)
Hi, I hope you are are having an amazing day.

It is the last week of the summer holidays and I am about to go into year 11 in September and I am really scared about this year 11 as I have my GCSE exams this year and the GCSEs have become tougher. The reason why I am scared is that I have a lot of pressure from my parents as they want me to do well in my exams and I am the first child sitting GCSEs in my whole family and as I am the first child in the family sitting GCSE's i have no one like my cousins or siblings to talk to and get advice. In year 10 I have done well acedemically but i think I have not taken GCSEs seriously but now at the end of these summer holidays I have really started to feel the pressure and every night I think about what will happen if I fail and how I would end up in life. I have sat my Business exam this year and I think I done well in the exam and I have submitted 4 assignments for business. I have also done my 60% of my Spanish course and I have managed to get 2 A's and 2 A*'s in my controlled assessment.

I just want advice for GCSE exams next year and I want to know when I should start revising for my exams. I am also scared about the exams because most exams are going to take place in the month of Ramadan so I will be fasting during the exams which will make it really tough.

The subjects I am taking next year are Spanish (AQA), Geography (Edexcel B), Business Studies (Edexcel), the new tougher maths GCSEs (Edexcel and the grading for maths is now 9-1), statistics, further maths, core and additional science (AQA) and the subjects I am most scared of, English language and literature as i will be sitting the new English GCSEs which is 100% exams so there are no controlled assessments and English has now become a really tough subject as I will have to know 15 poems from an anthology as we will not be given them in the exam.

I would like to know if I should start revising as soon as school begins or just before exams and I would love to receive advice and tips from people in order to pass my GCSEs and I would like to know when I should start revising for mocks and the real exams (how many months or weeks before the exams) as I am aiming for A's and A*'s as I believe I have the potential to achieve these grades but not in English as I am not really good at English. It would be great if anyone could offer me any tips and advice for year 11 as I would really appreciate it.

PS: I will be going on holiday in the October half term between 22 October and 30 October to meet my grandparents and I don't know if that might effect my revision and grades.

Thanks for taking your time to read my post and I hope I get many tips and advice from you and I hope you have an amazing day.
I felt the exact same going into year 11 however i did not have pressure from my parents (it was actually myself that made me sick from pressure). I personally would not revise as soon as school starts and i doubt a holiday in october would hinder your grades. Treat your homework as revision and put 100% into all of your classes, ask questions if you are confused (something i wish id have done). The key would be to treat your mocks like the real exams and after completing them you will be exam ready anyway so its just a matter of recap and learning from your mistakes made in your mocks. With english i would start earlier as it is a closed book exam so i would get analysis from a range of resources; internet, teachers, friends etc. With the fasting i have no experience or tips to give you but water and sleep would be the main saviour during revision/exam time
Hope this helps and enjoy your last year before sixth from or whatever you may decide😀
superboy123
Rep:
(Original post by Jamiemcq17)
I felt the exact same going into year 11 however i did not have pressure from my parents (it was actually myself that made me sick from pressure). I personally would not revise as soon as school starts and i doubt a holiday in october would hinder your grades. Treat your homework as revision and put 100% into all of your classes, ask questions if you are confused (something i wish id have done). The key would be to treat your mocks like the real exams and after completing them you will be exam ready anyway so its just a matter of recap and learning from your mistakes made in your mocks. With english i would start earlier as it is a closed book exam so i would get analysis from a range of resources; internet, teachers, friends etc. With the fasting i have no experience or tips to give you but water and sleep would be the main saviour during revision/exam time
Hope this helps and enjoy your last year before sixth from or whatever you may decide😀
Thank you so much for the tips.
sciencestudent19
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hey. Don't panic bout Year 11, it was a great year for me. I just finished year 11 this year so ill give you my tips.

January mocks I started revising in the Christmas holidays (2.5 weeks before). This was ok as we hadn't yet learnt all the specification so there wasn't that much to remember. I found this was fine and with more time I hoped I would do better in my real exams.

Took a 6 week break from revision after mocks as it was very exhausting. Went on holiday during February half term and started lightly revising when I came back (1-2 hours a day max). Properly started revising in the easter holidays (5-6 hours a day) and found this was plenty of time. I found revising at this time better as I still remembered stuff from my mocks but it wasn't so far away that I would forget it all.

During exams I tried to create a revision timetable but I didn't stick to it. Instead I found revising for the subject the next day or the day after helped and on the weekends during exam period I made sure to revise everything for my exams in the coming week. Half term in the middle was handy as it allowed a break (I took 3 days off revision completely) and extra time to study without exams.

If you want advice on how I studied each subject:
English (Language and Literature)- Mr Bruff youtube. That's all I used. Best revision source. Does videos for your new exams too. (with his help I only lost 1 mark in my whole English literature GCSE)
Maths- Past papers was all I did. Even though you have the new exam you may find past papers useful anyway.
Science- print the spec and do all the past papers.
Spanish- past papers and word flashcards
Geography- print the spec off and make notes

If you revise well and make notes for your topic tests as you go along you'll be fine. Your October holiday won't make a difference to your grades (in a bad way), just enjoy the time off. I took a week in February off and it made no difference.

If your feeling the pressure from your parents, the best thing to do is to speak to them. I was lucky I guess as the only pressure I got came from myself but when you eliminate the source of the pressure you will be able to focus a lot better.

With the grades you got in your coursework it does not sound like you will fail GCSE but just think of them as a stepping stone to get to do A levels or another qualification or job after GCSE's.

Work hard but enjoy.

I ended up with 6A*'s (biology, chemistry, physics, English lit, PE, geography) 6A's (English lang, art, graphics, RE, Spanish, maths) using the above revision methods.
khatx
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
The CGP revision guides are amazing! Honestly saved my science grade! They have them for nearly all subjects and all exam boards, so I recommend investing in a few. They are available to purchase from Amazon and Ebay.
superboy123
Rep:
(Original post by amyjf)
Hey. Don't panic bout Year 11, it was a great year for me. I just finished year 11 this year so ill give you my tips.

January mocks I started revising in the Christmas holidays (2.5 weeks before). This was ok as we hadn't yet learnt all the specification so there wasn't that much to remember. I found this was fine and with more time I hoped I would do better in my real exams.

Took a 6 week break from revision after mocks as it was very exhausting. Went on holiday during February half term and started lightly revising when I came back (1-2 hours a day max). Properly started revising in the easter holidays (5-6 hours a day) and found this was plenty of time. I found revising at this time better as I still remembered stuff from my mocks but it wasn't so far away that I would forget it all.

During exams I tried to create a revision timetable but I didn't stick to it. Instead I found revising for the subject the next day or the day after helped and on the weekends during exam period I made sure to revise everything for my exams in the coming week. Half term in the middle was handy as it allowed a break (I took 3 days off revision completely) and extra time to study without exams.

If you want advice on how I studied each subject:
English (Language and Literature)- Mr Bruff youtube. That's all I used. Best revision source. Does videos for your new exams too. (with his help I only lost 1 mark in my whole English literature GCSE)
Maths- Past papers was all I did. Even though you have the new exam you may find past papers useful anyway.
Science- print the spec and do all the past papers.
Spanish- past papers and word flashcards
Geography- print the spec off and make notes

If you revise well and make notes for your topic tests as you go along you'll be fine. Your October holiday won't make a difference to your grades (in a bad way), just enjoy the time off. I took a week in February off and it made no difference.

If your feeling the pressure from your parents, the best thing to do is to speak to them. I was lucky I guess as the only pressure I got came from myself but when you eliminate the source of the pressure you will be able to focus a lot better.

With the grades you got in your coursework it does not sound like you will fail GCSE but just think of them as a stepping stone to get to do A levels or another qualification or job after GCSE's.

Work hard but enjoy.

I ended up with 6A*'s (biology, chemistry, physics, English lit, PE, geography) 6A's (English lang, art, graphics, RE, Spanish, maths) using the above revision methods.
Thank you so much for your reply and I think that this will motivate me more
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (281)
41.63%
The paper was reasonable (281)
41.63%
Not feeling great about that exam... (62)
9.19%
It was TERRIBLE (51)
7.56%

Watched Threads