Turn on thread page Beta

BB - Fish milkshake watch

ReputationRep:
    Was anyone else really offended by the Big Brother task at the weekend? Michelle was absolutely right - if eating meat was against her religion, it would never have happened. Not because BB would have understood her plight, but because Channel 4 and Endemol would have been **** scared of the reaction they'd get.

Michelle doesn't choose to avoid meat because she enjoys being awkward, she does it because she finds the idea of eating dead flesh repulsive. And it's not the place of the programme makers to make her feel guilty for it.

Anyone else want to add their views? Does anyone think Michelle should have drunk the milkshake? Would you have done it?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have drunk it because i hate fish and it was just disgusting. Michelle was right not to drink it.

ReputationRep:
    think it was quite harsh especially considering she'd spent all that time fishing round for the names in the fish guts. however the show is made to attract audience so i think it was probably something channel 4 thought would pull in the viewers

ReputationRep:
    I didnt even see it. I wouldn't have done anyway as i'm a veggie

ReputationRep:
    I think she should have said that she was a jain and couldn't drink it, that would have showed them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    I think she should have said that she was a jain and couldn't drink it, that would have showed them.
    jain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    think it was quite harsh especially considering she'd spent all that time fishing round for the names in the fish guts. however the show is made to attract audience so i think it was probably something channel 4 thought would pull in the viewers
    True, the purpose of making a TV show is to get viewers, but there's a fine line between entertainment and cruelty. When the contestants apply to go on BB, they know the format so they can't complain about evictions and living with strangers -fair enough. But they don't know they'll be asked to give up their principles for money or for the benefit of the group.

Whoever came up with that particular task obviously has no idea of what being a vegetarian is about. If that milkshake had been made of human flesh, no one in their right mind would expect anyone to drink it.

ReputationRep:
    it was revolting. i cant belive how cruel the producers are now getting. i hate the way they are taking away the housemates dignity.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    jain?
    jainism.. like hindus i think. Jools is one. First religion i could think of that were totally vegie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    Whoever came up with that particular task obviously has no idea of what being a vegetarian is about. If that milkshake had been made of human flesh, no one in their right mind would expect anyone to drink it.
    What annoyed me slightly, was that they must have known using animal flesh would offend some housemates and some viewers, yet they could have created the same disgusting yuk effect with many other things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    What annoyed me slightly, was that they must have known using animal flesh would offend some housemates and some viewers, yet they could have created the same disgusting yuk effect with many other things.
    Absolutely. I think they came up with some sort of gunge-related idea first, and then thought "what can we do to make this more interesting?"

It obvioulsy wasn't thought through very well. BB is always going on about health and safety, and asked housemates to cover up any cuts before doing the challenge, but if they'd cut themselves sliding into the mess it would have been nasty. Raw fish in a freshly opened wound ... nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    i cant belive how cruel the producers are now getting. i hate the way they are taking away the housemates dignity.
    To be fair, the housemates are generally doing that for themselves anyway...

ReputationRep:
    I could have drunk it, though I think it's highly unlikely I'd have been able to keep it down for long!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    To be fair, the housemates are generally doing that for themselves anyway...
    True, but that's because they're fame-hungry idiots - not because they're being forced into it.

I love the quote in your sig, by the way.

ReputationRep:
    What money was she going to win for drinking it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    What money was she going to win for drinking it?
    If she'd drunk it herself she would have won £15,000 for the prize fund - which goes to whoever wins the series. If one of the other housemates had done it, they'd have got £5,000 for the fund.

So, would you do it?

ReputationRep:
    i so would have done it, just for the challenge!!!
    i mean, i felt sorry for michelle because that was just harsh to put her through that when she has such an aversion to fish but it isnt Shells decision to just chuck it away like that - its just like eating sushi isnt it really?

ReputationRep:
    You raise a very interesting point. Nobody will touch religious beliefs with a bargepole, just gets you too much criticism. The fact that she made a personal decision not to eat meat is somehow different. I think that religion is nothing more than a collection of personal beliefs, and should not be regarded with the sacred invincibility that they enjoy. I was impressed when Michelle managed to figure that one.

ReputationRep:
    What type of fish was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    What type of fish was it?
    im not sure...it looks quite big like a salmon

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.