Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Firstly, I would like to say that I know I was an incredible idiot for being so naive, and I have definitely learnt a lesson.

Basically, I've been working very hard on my personal statement for the past month and have spent who knows how many hours on it. A while ago, a good friend/classmate of mine asked if she could take a look at it. She said she would never copy it because she's applying for a completely different subject. As stupid as this was, I trusted her as a friend and sent her my personal statement.

Days later, I kindly asked to take a look at hers and as soon as I saw it, my heart sank. Yes, the content is quite different since she's applying for something totally different, but the structure and flow of the essay were the same as mine. She even used phrases and words that were identical to the ones I spent ages deciding on.

I told her about my concerns and she said she had no intention to copy my work. She agreed to change a few of the identical phrases but I think she just used a thesaurus to change them to words with a similar meaning. The sentence structures were still very alike to mine, as was the structure of the essay.

I'm in a very tough situation. I would hate for this friendship to end, but it would be my worst nightmare for UCAS to detect our similarities and notify the universities. We're even applying to the same uni! The logical solution would be to tell someone in my school, but wouldn't that just destroy our whole friendship and her reputation? The school could even hold me responsible for sharing my work.

I don't want to make any false accusations against my friend but I am so worried about being reported for plagiarism! I love her and cherish our friendship but I can't risk my future for something like this.

I would appreciate any help and advice because I'm so terrified and close to tears right now. I am so so SO mad at myself. Thank you so much guys!!!!!

P.S. This may not be the best forum to post this in but I really wanted to post this anonymously so please understand. It's about friendship so I hope it's okay?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Firstly, I would like to say that I know I was an incredible idiot for being so naive, and I have definitely learnt a lesson.

Basically, I've been working very hard on my personal statement for the past month and have spent who knows how many hours on it. A while ago, a good friend/classmate of mine asked if she could take a look at it. She said she would never copy it because she's applying for a completely different subject. As stupid as this was, I trusted her as a friend and sent her my personal statement.

Days later, I kindly asked to take a look at hers and as soon as I saw it, my heart sank. Yes, the content is quite different since she's applying for something totally different, but the structure and flow of the essay were the same as mine. She even used phrases and words that were identical to the ones I spent ages deciding on.

I told her about my concerns and she said she had no intention to copy my work. She agreed to change a few of the identical phrases but I think she just used a thesaurus to change them to words with a similar meaning. The sentence structures were still very alike to mine, as was the structure of the essay.

I'm in a very tough situation. I would hate for this friendship to end, but it would be my worst nightmare for UCAS to detect our similarities and notify the universities. We're even applying to the same uni! The logical solution would be to tell someone in my school, but wouldn't that just destroy our whole friendship and her reputation? The school could even hold me responsible for sharing my work.

I don't want to make any false accusations against my friend but I am so worried about being reported for plagiarism! I love her and cherish our friendship but I can't risk my future for something like this.

I would appreciate any help and advice because I'm so terrified and close to tears right now. I am so so SO mad at myself. Thank you so much guys!!!!!

P.S. This may not be the best forum to post this in but I really wanted to post this anonymously so please understand. It's about friendship so I hope it's okay?
    Ask again more firmly. You said she's changed some bits around but it still sounds the same, and that's just a **** move by her to be honest.

Doesn't work? Then she has an inability to listen or just doesn't want to change, and unfortunately you'd have to tell someone at school to get it sorted asap. Your future is worth more than one freindship. What your school would say, I do not know, but I think better to say something and possibly take a lecture rather than saying nothing and taking a huge risk.

Although I am not sure if it'd pick up on a similar structure / similar wording or whether that's just unavoidable - that's just worth noting. This bit is difficult to discern as I can't read the two in front of me (that doesn't mean you should upload either though, mind)

ReputationRep:
    Highlight all the bits of her personal statement that are very similar to yours and ask her to change them. Explain this is for both of your sakes because believe me if you have a high plagiarism score, both your unis won't even look twice at you. Then tell her if she's not willing to change it you'll tell the school and she'll thank you in the long run for it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.