Turn on thread page Beta

For your interest. ( how Dazyaa did it ) watch

ReputationRep:
    For those of you that are interested,

this site was attaced a long while ago in much the same way as ukl.

Read the report here.
    http://www.grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

If you read it. it pretty much explains what happened to this site.
    Dazyaa's attack was no particular feat fo computer wizadry, and for those of you that are worried, the chances of any of you being victim to such an attack are very slim indeed. I remember hearing about him hacking hotmail accounts a while ago, and that's about the only threat I can think of.

ReputationRep:
    quite, however the only problem is that its quite hard to stop on a budget as far as I am aware

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spider)
    For those of you that are interested,

this site was attaced a long while ago in much the same way as ukl.

Read the report here.

If you read it. it pretty much explains what happened to this site.
    Dazyaa's attack was no particular feat fo computer wizadry, and for those of you that are worried, the chances of any of you being victim to such an attack are very slim indeed. I remember hearing about him hacking hotmail accounts a while ago, and that's about the only threat I can think of.
    Indeed, since most people don't run http servers on their comps, such an attack can't affect most ukl members. Especially, considering the fact he would have to get our IP addresses. Unless he gets complete physical control over the http server ukl runs on, he won't be able to.

I'm quite interested about how he managed to get into someone's hotmail account though...

ReputationRep:
    who cares how he did it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economics)
    who cares how he did it?

Well I assmued people would want to know what the hell happened to ukl. It makes sense to explain how he did it to make sure noone got worried that it might affect their computers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    I'm quite interested about how he managed to get into someone's hotmail account though...
    Well, some people have their hotmail address and their place of birth (one of their secret questions) in their profiles do they not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teamvillage)
    Well, some people have their hotmail address and their place of birth (one of their secret questions) in their profiles do they not?
    Yeah, thats standard stuff. I thought it was more interesting than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    Yeah, thats standard stuff. I thought it was more interesting than that.
    u have a real problem mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Indeed, since most people don't run http servers on their comps, such an attack can't affect most ukl members. Especially, considering the fact he would have to get our IP addresses. Unless he gets complete physical control over the http server ukl runs on, he won't be able to.

he guessed the secret question - it wasn't exactly rocket science

ReputationRep:
    From that article :

He says that he was already in trouble with the FBI when he was eight — for hacking government servers. His computer was taken away until he was ten, then he was carefully monitored for another year until he was eleven. But now he's right back at it.
    What is society coming to?

ReputationRep:
    why is Dazyaa still allowed on UKL then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentEvil)
    why is Dazyaa still allowed on UKL then?
    From what I've heard, his ISP doesn't seem to care, he has had 78 ukl and hotmail accounts banned and if his IP is banned then someone else that lives around him might not be able to get on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spider)
    Read the report here.
    have you seen the length of that.

I am not that interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    From what I've heard, his ISP doesn't seem to care, he has had 78 ukl and hotmail accounts banned and if his IP is banned then someone else that lives around him might not be able to get on.
    Why would that affect him bein banned.

I know many people won't agree with this, but doesn't someone out there respect him for actually pulling off a DDOS attack successfully, it was carefully planned and carried out. I have respect for him for doing that.

ReputationRep:

I know many people won't agree with this, but doesn't someone out there respect him for actually pulling off a DDOS attack successfully, it was carefully planned and carried out. I have respect for him for doing that.
    Anyone can do it. I would maybe respect him if he wrote all the stuff involved, but he didn't. He admits himself he is just a "script kiddy" so really there is very little to respect; as the name implies, anyone can run a few commands

ReputationRep:
    How Lame, DoS attacking...cheap. I would have thought UK-Ls router's would filter those though, I've only got a netgear router and that filters out that 100 DoS attacks I get a day. Hmmm, suprising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    How Lame, DoS attacking...cheap. I would have thought UK-Ls router's would filter those though, I've only got a netgear router and that filters out that 100 DoS attacks I get a day. Hmmm, suprising.
    are they DoS attacks, or just port scanners looking for an easy way in? i'd guess the latter, because the point of DoS is to take someone off the net who has annoyed you.

ReputationRep:
    it's not port scanning cos it appears in the logs "Attempted DoS attack...IP blocked"

ReputationRep:

How hard can it be to type :
    !r
    !p4 212.100.252.21

That's all you need to do for a DDoS attack on uk-learning (assuming that you have some IRC bots). Even a script-kiddie can manage that. It requires minimal effort and no thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mighty)
    How hard can it be to type :
    !r
    !p4 212.100.252.21

That's all you need to do for a DDoS attack on uk-learning (assuming that you have some IRC bots). Even a script-kiddie can manage that. It requires minimal effort and no thought.
    it isnt JUST that it depends on the botnet, a lot of it is managing, stealing, building, spreading the bots, maintaining them on networks, getting the right syn-rate as well as pinging, not getting infected yourself, knowing people, etc

if this was real life, i'd be very rich my bots are goign amazing atm, spreading nicely......

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 21, 2004
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.