Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any runners here, is this an achievable goal? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I train in mainly sprinting and although im not fast enough to win races (ive often come last) speed and strength activities are what im best at, like i can do 11 pull ups and climb up a rope using just my hands which ive found not many people can do (though it prob helps that im only 5ft lol). However i want to be decent at running, not just sprints but 5k distance too. I enjoy entering cross country races as i dont come last as theres always someone who walks the race, but just wish i had stamina. Ive tried running 3 miles three times (along with an interval session) a week but have still only got my time down to 27 minutes something. With no training at all i get 32 mins. So is 27 mins around the best im capable of ? Ive no idea why ive never had the stanina like others ive often wondered if theres something wrong with me. The very good women at the road running club i go to are getting 17 and 18 minutes. The decent ones about 20 - 22 mins. I'l never get this but id be happy with 22/23 mins as an ultimate goal. I dont know if its achievable though with my natural lack of stamina. I have a normal bmi. What do you think, just wanted advice.

ReputationRep:
    Consistency and patience. I think any woman with a normal BMI starting from scratch in her 20s is capable of sub 20. It just needs the training and dedication.

The lasses that are running sub 20 tend to have 1+ year's experience of consistent training behind them. Three times a week is a decent starter but to achieve improvement you need to be motivated long term. You can't for example take two weeks off and expect to pick up where you left off. You can take time off, but need to be patient and recognise that improvement doesn't happen overnight. Increases in intensity to match increasing performance need to be gradual to prevent injury too.

I have had similar wonders at my own lack of improvement over the years. I have been running since I was 12 (I'm 26 now) but reached a bit of a plateau when I was around 17-19, and maybe very gradually improved until my early 20s. I think my training only properly broke through a couple of years ago when I found the motivation at a new club.

Perhaps another thing might be unfair comparisons. Although I'm a decent standard of runner, I don't aspire to be like Mo Farah. It's fair to say that I'm not going to run 12:53 or win an Olympic medal in my lifetime. I prefer to aspire to the chaps running low 14s and my teammates that have just broken 15, because I know that I am certainly capable of running sub 15 in the near future. Perhaps for you, a fairer target might be the top 15 women in your local parkrun - so about 25 minutes, on average. With consistent training enjoyment and improvement will certainly come.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigofox)
    I train in mainly sprinting and although im not fast enough to win races (ive often come last) speed and strength activities are what im best at, like i can do 11 pull ups and climb up a rope using just my hands which ive found not many people can do (though it prob helps that im only 5ft lol). However i want to be decent at running, not just sprints but 5k distance too. I enjoy entering cross country races as i dont come last as theres always someone who walks the race, but just wish i had stamina. Ive tried running 3 miles three times (along with an interval session) a week but have still only got my time down to 27 minutes something. With no training at all i get 32 mins. So is 27 mins around the best im capable of ? Ive no idea why ive never had the stanina like others ive often wondered if theres something wrong with me. The very good women at the road running club i go to are getting 17 and 18 minutes. The decent ones about 20 - 22 mins. I'l never get this but id be happy with 22/23 mins as an ultimate goal. I dont know if its achievable though with my natural lack of stamina. I have a normal bmi. What do you think, just wanted advice.
    With hard work and persistence almost anything is possible. There are a couple of things I recommend.

I train 5x a week; 2 interval sessions, 1 long run, 1 hill session and 1 easy run. Varies paced sessions is key for improvement.

The intervals can be longer (eg 1.2k) or shorter (eg 200m which can improve speed).

Hills will help improve strength and will defiantly make you faster!

The long run will help improve your aerobic capacity and should be done an comfortable pace.

The easy run also builds aerobic capacity and help recovery.

Also you can add in cross training to improve.

Swimming is great to improve aerobic fitness.

Cycling will work your leg muscles and improve aerobic fitness

Weight lifting and core exercises etc will improve strength, reduce injury and overall improve your performance.

Consistency is key, if your training is consistent you will improve, avoid injury at all cost!

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.