Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Imperial college - medicine 2018 entry

ReputationRep:
    do you think I can get into imperial medicine with 7A's and 4B's. is it worth applying please help. !!

ReputationRep:
    Deleted

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you had high predicted grades at A-level and a really good BMAT then maybe but it would be best to email the admissions team at Imperial and see what they say

(Original post by ZH786)
    do you think I can get into imperial medicine with 7A's and 4B's. is it worth applying please help. !!
    There are no GCSE requirements for Medicine at Imperial anymore. It will depend on other factors like your PS, A-Level predictions, interview performance and (most importantly after A-Level predictions), BMAT score.

ReputationRep:
    Very helpful. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I've just started year 12, hoping to apply for medicine in 2017/18

GCSEs - 5 A*, 4 A's, 1 B AS/A2 Levels - Chemistry, Biology, German, EPQ (all linear courses)

Work experience / Voluntary
    - 7 days in a research lab at a university studying Alzheimers
    - 2 years at an Oxfam charity shop
    - hopefully get a GP's & shadowing in dermatology
    - volunteer in a care home
    - volunteer in a caring role at my local hospital
    - holiday volunteering at a deaf blind children's camp
    Hobbies/ Extra curricular:
    - Music:
    -Grade 6 piano
    - Grade 7 trombone
    - school orchestra
    - school swimming team captain
    -underwater hockey
    -school hockey & swimming team
    Potential universities providing I achieve what I wish to achieve: Manchester, Southampton, BSMS, QM UOL, Imperial College, Edinburgh.

Could anyone tell me a) if I have a realistic shot at medicine at all and/ or b) where they would recommend for me to apply with my GCSES? Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Bump

🌺🐧

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace_wh)
    Hey! I've just started year 12, hoping to apply for medicine in 2017/18

GCSEs - 5 A*, 4 A's, 1 B AS/A2 Levels - Chemistry, Biology, German, EPQ (all linear courses)

Work experience / Voluntary
    - 7 days in a research lab at a university studying Alzheimers
    - 2 years at an Oxfam charity shop
    - hopefully get a GP's & shadowing in dermatology
    - volunteer in a care home
    - volunteer in a caring role at my local hospital
    - holiday volunteering at a deaf blind children's camp
    Hobbies/ Extra curricular:
    - Music:
    -Grade 6 piano
    - Grade 7 trombone
    - school orchestra
    - school swimming team captain
    -underwater hockey
    -school hockey & swimming team
    Potential universities providing I achieve what I wish to achieve: Manchester, Southampton, BSMS, QM UOL, Imperial College, Edinburgh.

Could anyone tell me a) if I have a realistic shot at medicine at all and/ or b) where they would recommend for me to apply with my GCSES? Thank you!!
    Hey Grace,

I'm a first year medical student at Imperial and I absolutely think that you definitely have a shot at medicine, especially at all the unis you have listed. Just make sure to do really well in your UKCAT and your BMAT (well, at least a fair amount above average) and with a solid personal statement, you should definitely be able to secure an interview.

By the way guys, me and a few friends at Imperial were thinking of maybe holding a day event for potential medical students and going through methods and revision tips for passing the UKCAT, BMAT and interviews, and how to formulate a strong personal statement, but we were wondering if a demand for this is even there. We were also thinking of going over the general process of applying, and what work experience/extra-cullicar activities would place a candidate in a strong position, and also over what first year of medical school at Imperial is actually like. Do you guys think an event like this would be useful, or is it perhaps to early/late with regards to the admission process?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZH786)
    I think that 7A's and 4B's certainly don't prohibit your entry (well at least to Imperial, which weighs GCSE's relatively lightly compared to other unis), but as they are not ideal, strong A-level predictions and BMAT score are necessary to stay competitive. Also, a friend of mine with one less B than yourself was able to gain entry into Leeds medical school, but from what I remember, he smashed through his BMAT, and so I'm sure your in a strong enough position so far to apply.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vasopressin)
    Hey Grace,

I'm a first year medical student at Imperial and I absolutely think that you definitely have a shot at medicine, especially at all the unis you have listed. Just make sure to do really well in your UKCAT and your BMAT (well, at least a fair amount above average) and with a solid personal statement, you should definitely be able to secure an interview.

By the way guys, me and a few friends at Imperial were thinking of maybe holding a day event for potential medical students and going through methods and revision tips for passing the UKCAT, BMAT and interviews, and how to formulate a strong personal statement, but we were wondering if a demand for this is even there. We were also thinking of going over the general process of applying, and what work experience/extra-cullicar activities would place a candidate in a strong position, and also over what first year of medical school at Imperial is actually like. Do you guys think an event like this would be useful, or is it perhaps to early/late with regards to the admission process?
    I think that's a great idea😁 I would really benefit from it as I want to apply to Imperial also

ReputationRep:
    I think that 7A's and 4B's certainly don't prohibit your entry (well at least to Imperial, which weighs GCSE's relatively lightly compared to other unis), but as they are not ideal, strong A-level predictions and BMAT score are necessary to stay competitive. Also, a friend of mine with one less B than yourself was able to gain entry into Leeds medical school, but from what I remember, he smashed through his BMAT, and so I'm sure your in a strong enough position so far to apply.

Good luck

Hey is it that operation medical school thing? A few guys from year are going to that?

ReputationRep:
    Hey Grace,

Please do! I don't live in London but I'm willing to come down for useful events like that

ReputationRep:
    Two BMAT dates this year.....

- Saturday 9th September 2017
    - Thursday 1st November 2017

Probably better to take the earlier exam (unless also Oxford applicant).......and know BMAT score pre-application? Or will it be too close to UKCAT?

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.