Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So year 12 has just started for me ( I'm only on my 2nd day of school) and I am starting my A-level courses. I have chosen Bio,Chem,Business and Math as my subjects but I am suffering from a MAJOR motivation dip. I would usually be quite excited for these subjects and their assigned work and I managed to get A*s on them in my IGCSEs but I don't know what is wrong with me. I am quite scared of my Alevels due to their difficulty and frankly speaking, the scare is making me rethink my choices. I feel like I have burned out all my energy and motivation at GCSE levels and I feel like such an incompetent person right now I don't know what I am heading to after I am done with year 12 (where I live, you can graduate after only doing your AS levels) and all of this pressure is crushing down on me majorly. How do I keep a positive outlook over what I am doing?

Sorry if this post is all over the place and long but I have been suffering from these feelings for quite a while now.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by tgys44)
    So year 12 has just started for me ( I'm only on my 2nd day of school) and I am starting my A-level courses. I have chosen Bio,Chem,Business and Math as my subjects but I am suffering from a MAJOR motivation dip. I would usually be quite excited for these subjects and their assigned work and I managed to get A*s on them in my IGCSEs but I don't know what is wrong with me. I am quite scared of my Alevels due to their difficulty and frankly speaking, the scare is making me rethink my choices. I feel like I have burned out all my energy and motivation at GCSE levels and I feel like such an incompetent person right now I don't know what I am heading to after I am done with year 12 (where I live, you can graduate after only doing your AS levels) and all of this pressure is crushing down on me majorly. How do I keep a positive outlook over what I am doing?

Sorry if this post is all over the place and long but I have been suffering from these feelings for quite a while now.
    The first few days/weeks can be very overwhelming. I remember in Physics I was close to tears as I just did not understand what was going on and things were going at quite a fast pace. The key is to take some time, breathe for a bit, and do some work at home. Go over what's been taught from the textbook, make notes, and ask your teacher about any quesitons you may have. Then, hopefully, you will get used to it and go back to producing top grades.

ReputationRep:
    If its a subject you're not enjoying then it isn't too late to change what you're doing. Don't pick your A levels based on what which GCSEs you did well at - its not reflective for a lot of courses. Rather, pick things you want to do and enjoy or you will struggle at A2. If you do something you genuinely enjoy then it wont really even feel like work.

If you've moved schools maybe its just a matter of not settling in with friendship groups yet.

If you don't enjoy any academic subjects then maybe academia isn't for you. I'd say the best thing to do is try and find a vocation.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.