Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I got 6 A*s and 4 As at GCSE and I aspire to study Medicine at Cambridge. I was a bit disappointed with these grades as I expected better, but what's done is done I guess. Ever since I got my results, I've been stressing over the fact that I wouldn't stand a chance if I applied to Cambridge and especially Medicine since that's so competitive.
    My question is: would I stand a good chance at getting an offer with these GCSE grades and if I was to do really well at A-level?
    I know that Oxford focuses more on GCSEs than Cambridge does so I would probably be best applying to Cambridge instead and I also know that they take into consideration the performance of the school that you went to. Does anyone know how that works exactly? Do they look at the percentage of passes at the school during that year or what position you came in out of everyone else in the year group?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    They flag your application based on various factors. The details are here.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coata)
    Ok so I got 6 A*s and 4 As at GCSE and I aspire to study Medicine at Cambridge. I was a bit disappointed with these grades as I expected better, but what's done is done I guess. Ever since I got my results, I've been stressing over the fact that I wouldn't stand a chance if I applied to Cambridge and especially Medicine since that's so competitive.
    My question is: would I stand a good chance at getting an offer with these GCSE grades and if I was to do really well at A-level?
    I know that Oxford focuses more on GCSEs than Cambridge does so I would probably be best applying to Cambridge instead and I also know that they take into consideration the performance of the school that you went to. Does anyone know how that works exactly? Do they look at the percentage of passes at the school during that year or what position you came in out of everyone else in the year group?
    Thank you
    And your GCSEs are typical for Medicine. But focus on your A-levels, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    And your GCSEs are typical for Medicine. But focus on your A-levels, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok I will do. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    They flag your application based on various factors. The details are here.
    Thank you! That was really helpful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.