Are you fed up with flying? Watch

Have Your Say
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
With increased security checks, lost baggage and hidden charges, is air-travel simply too much hassle?

Millions of passengers are facing long queues in cramped spaces at UK airports because of complicated new security measures, an inquiry by MPs has concluded - and they warn that the resulting bottlenecks could create a potential new target for terrorists.

The Transport Select Committee said it was essential to speed up check-in times and reduce queues.

The report also says airlines must advertise additional fees to prevent hidden charging and design better systems to prevent lost baggage.

Have you been put off from flying because of increased security, lost luggage or hidden charges? What can be done to reduce the risks of long queues becoming targets for attack? Send us your views and experiences?
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I hate flying but that it more as a result of the actual process of flying than what happens either end. Yes airports are annoying but i think what is being done is important to keep people safe. The worst experience I have had was last summer when i had to fly back from America 5 days after the planned terrorist attack was foiled that was the worst airport queues that I have seen.
thomasp
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I flew from Gatwick to America and back earlier this month and to be honest, security was no real hassle, even at Gatwick. The only issue was having to take our shoes off and walk across this "moist" carpet at Orlando Airport when we left America..... And while we were in America, there were the car bombs in London.

In fact, at both airports, the longest queues were for check in. Although that was because we arrived quite early and Virgin Atlantic were still checking in three earlier jumbo jets - all full!
spartakist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's still better than boats...
N_n_N
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
oh yes I really hate those days when I have to fly I just cannot take being told things by the officers there feel like shouting at them
Eternity Forever
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Am I fed up with flying? No! My God! What a question!
spark911
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I only dislike how inefficient the system is. If my flight is at 5:00, let me arrive at 4:00. Don't make me get there at 3:00 or 2:00.
coolworld37
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by spark911)
I only dislike how inefficient the system is. If my flight is at 5:00, let me arrive at 4:00. Don't make me get there at 3:00 or 2:00.
Thats annoying. Our flight was supposed to leave at 8pm but we were told to get to the airport by 4pm :eek:
spark911
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by coolworld37)
Thats annoying. Our flight was supposed to leave at 8pm but we were told to get to the airport by 4pm :eek:
Yeah. The three hour or more times are annoying. I know you can go later if you want, and people do, but my parents insist going when they say as do the majority of people I think.

Unfortunately, I read that airports like Heathrow make most of their money on the shops inside the airport than the royalties from airlines to fly from there!

So it's in their interest to get us in early and hanging around, so they wont change it any time soon.
hang_your_heart
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I really don't think it's too bad. Yes, it's a hassle, but flying has always been more complicated than other methods of travel and it doesn't feel like so much more of a hassle than it did five years ago or so. The liquids rule is inconvenient, but they make you aware of it so early on that it's easy to get used to.

I do find it funny how the rules change though. Whenever I fly from Singapore they make you turn on your laptop so they can check it (I don't know why!) but they never do it anywhere else. And how some places you have to take off your shoes etc. If it's so much of a security concern why don't you do it everywhere?
thomasp
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
That's a worldwide thing, not just for England. It most likely takes that long to sort all the baggage out and make sure most of it gets to the right aircraft.

Plus, if you said check-in closes an hour before the flight goes (for longhaul), people would turn up at check-in 10mins before it goes and still expect to get on.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I like the way they dont let you bring on chemicals more than 100 ml and they confiscate everything over that. If they seriously thought we were carrying harmfull stuff onto the aeroplane why the hell do they put it down behind them and leave it there all day?
Music_Enthusiast
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've never had a delay or lost baggage on a flight.
randomgirl
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I haven't been in an airport for over a year, and whenever I've flown I've not experienced any problems really, aside from a delayed plane.

I love flying although I've only been on 8 journeys (4 holidays) by plane.

All the security and crap wouldn't put me off flying at all.
spark911
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by thomasp)
That's a worldwide thing, not just for England. It most likely takes that long to sort all the baggage out and make sure most of it gets to the right aircraft.

Plus, if you said check-in closes an hour before the flight goes (for longhaul), people would turn up at check-in 10mins before it goes and still expect to get on.
I know it's worldwide. Flying is inefficient. But there is no reason why certain airports of countries can't aim to set a benchmark for faster service.

Check-in needs to be quicker. I shouldn't wait more than 30-40minutes in the ideal world from having checked in to boarding the plane. So 1hour before boarding begins should be my check-in time.

If you miss your flight, it's not my fault. Check the traffic reports before you go, leave yourself enough time. But I should be able to check-in in 30-40minutes, and then board in another 30-40minutes. I just dislike the amount of time waiting around doing nothing. I don't care if I am just queueing for 30minutes to check-in, then join another 30minute queue to board the plane (as long as both are moving, as then I feel as if I'm doing something). I want to cut out the crap in the middle where I'm walking around looking at shops for 1-2hours.

I have no doubts that it is more than possible.
Segat1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I really enjoy flying. Always have. I don't mind the security because I'm used to it now. What annoys me is other flyers. Can't we get rid of them
hang_your_heart
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I want to cut out the crap in the middle where I'm walking around looking at shops for 1-2hours.
It's clear you're a man - that's my favourite bit!
Freud
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I hate all the hassle, and knowing that I've woken at 4am to queue for hours and have my personal items observed and scanned just to be packed into a tiny uncomfortable seat for however many hours.

Flying is a necessary discomfort lol. The destinations are usually worth it, and at least it's quick. Anywhere in the world within a day is still amazing!
Music_Enthusiast
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
When i flew Manchester - Barbados they asked us to arrive 3 hours early. When i did the return journey they asked us to arrive only 1.5 hours early. Whats up with that?
LeeC
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Smaller airport probably in Barbados...so more efficient check-in and luggage loading etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (162)
26.87%
No (441)
73.13%

Watched Threads