Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Student accommodation in London for UCL, LSE, King's College London?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have heard that it is compulsory to stay in the student residences for the first year of these universities. Is this true?

Also, after the first year, is it better value for money to stay in the student accommodation which is usually walking distance to lecture halls, or to rent private homes in zone 4 or 5 of London and commute to lecture halls everyday? How far can you go from the lecture halls?

I have heard something about LSE having 'Private halls', what exactly are they? Again, is it worth renting a private home, or renting these private halls?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    LSE's private halls are just that as they are owned by a private provider (urbanest) and other universities students can book them directly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londoncricket)
    Hi all,

I have heard that it is compulsory to stay in the student residences for the first year of these universities. Is this true?

Also, after the first year, is it better value for money to stay in the student accommodation which is usually walking distance to lecture halls, or to rent private homes in zone 4 or 5 of London and commute to lecture halls everyday? How far can you go from the lecture halls?

I have heard something about LSE having 'Private halls', what exactly are they? Again, is it worth renting a private home, or renting these private halls?

Thank you!
    It's definitley not true that you must stay in halls in first year, you are free to stay where you like. A quick look at UCL's accomodation page shows me that after first year you are expected to find your own accomodation- this could be in a private hall (i.e one not owned by the university) although they tend to be v expensive, or it could be in private housing. Halls in London tend to be fairly scattered about and not necessarily all within walking distance of the lecture theatres. You shouldn't need to go as far out as zone 5 for a flatshare, you should be able to find something in zones 2/3.

ReputationRep:
    try spare room.co.uk, you can find all sorts of rooms available

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londoncricket)
    Hi all,

Thank you!
    Hello!I am looking for someone to transfer to my Urbanest Kings Cross tenancy. The room is 217.45 a week it is a single spacious private room, you share with two other lovely flatmates and have two bathroom and a kitchen. It is near Kings Cross and is only 20 minute train commute away from LSE!.If this sounds interesting to you than please reply ASAP

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a twin room in urbanest St pancras that i need someone to take over ASAP, here's a link to the ad i posted on gumtree. I really like urbanest and the people here are so lovely, and very sociable, but i'm afraid i don't like my uni course so i'm dropping out and I really need someone to relieve me of my tenancy

heres the link:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-hous...oom/1189295569

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.