Single gender accommodation for female students

Watch
SamihaTahsin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am an international student from Bangladesh, going to apply this fall and I was hoping to know about the possibilities of being accommodated at a single gender hall of residence. Any help and info will be appreciated. thanks in advance
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can request single-sex accomodation, but just so you're aware it limits you to one type of room (shared bathroom), so I presume this is in one building (Maynard House, as this is where I am).
I requested it and was awarded it, although I know someone else who didn't state a preference and they were put in single-sex accomodation, so I would presume the chances of getting it if you request it are high because not many people request it. Just make sure you apply early.
SamihaTahsin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by loperdoper)
You can request single-sex accomodation, but just so you're aware it limits you to one type of room (shared bathroom), so I presume this is in one building (Maynard House, as this is where I am).
I requested it and was awarded it, although I know someone else who didn't state a preference and they were put in single-sex accomodation, so I would presume the chances of getting it if you request it are high because not many people request it. Just make sure you apply early.

hey thanks for all the info. and no i actually have no issues with sharing a bathroom. it's just that i am less comfortable around boys as i can be quite shy and also from a moderately conservative background.

so could u please tell me more in details about Maynard house? is it for girls only? and how helpful is queen mary when meeting up to an applicant's preferences?
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SamihaTahsin)
so could u please tell me more in details about Maynard house? is it for girls only? and how helpful is queen mary when meeting up to an applicant's preferences?
I honestly couldn't tell you if the entirety of Maynard House is only female, as I've only found three other people in the house, and they're all girls. The flat (shared between 5-7 people) will be definitely single gender, so your kitchen and bathroom specifically will only be shared with other girls. I move into the accomodation in a little over two weeks, so I can probably answer your question better then.

With the preference, when you apply for accomodation you choose a price band that you want to be in. But just before this, there's a little box that asks if you want to be in single gender accomodation or if you have no preference. When you tick that, all but one price band disappears and then you apply. After that, I didn't really hear anything else from them until I got the accomodation offer with the single gender accomodation.

You don't particularly have to go out of your way to request it, to be honest I didn't even realise they offered it until I applied, so sort of chose to go for single gender on a whim.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (31)
28.97%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.35%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
55.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.54%

Watched Threads