The Student Room Group

Freshers whilst off-campus? (NTU)

Hi

I'll be living off-campus for my freshers...although its 10 mins away from campus.

Does any one have any tips on what to do regarding finding/making friends to go to freshers with or is anyone else in the same boat at all?

thanks
Original post by frank99101
Hi

I'll be living off-campus for my freshers...although its 10 mins away from campus.

Does any one have any tips on what to do regarding finding/making friends to go to freshers with or is anyone else in the same boat at all?

thanks

I'm a commuter student (4 year course), I started in 2013 and didn't have any trouble finding friends.

- Look and see if your uni has an official freshers facebook group for the 2016/17 year group. I met a lot of people on there and we ended up meeting up to go to freshers events together. Still best friends with two of the girls I met that way. - Check if your uni has a "home student" event. My uni had an event the week before freshers week for local students, so that the students who were from this area could go and meet one another because the uni recognised that not all students will be in halls. - If you can't find anyone to go to the daytime freshers events with, just go yourself. There is no shame in that at all. Go to your societies and sports fayres and ask if any of those groups (the ones that you're interested in) have socials coming up. They all will, because they all have socials at the start of the year. Go along to those and you'll meet plenty of new people.
- If your uni hosts a welcome meeting for your course, go along to that and you can meet people on your course.

If you still don't feel like you know anyone by the time your classes start, don't worry. There are lots of people who don't know anyone at the start (although it ALWAYS appears like everyone has a big group of friends except you, because those are the people you notice and pay attention to). Talk to people in your lectures and tutorials, you'll eventually find your friends :smile:. Good luck!
Original post by frank99101
Hi

thanks

Hello :biggrin:

The best advice I can give is make the effort!
Living off campus can give you a small disadvantage but nothing major. For people living in halls they are put into a social situation therefore you either do or do not make friends and of course living off campus, it's about inserting yourself into these social situations and as long as you are willing to make the effort, you will be fine.

Attending events during Freshers week, both day-time and night-time and meet new people - try not to be nervous, everyone is in the same boat and looking to make new friends - just enjoy yourself!

Good luck :smile:
Hi @frank99101

Just want to echo the great advice that @JustGeorgeJ and @GoingToBurst have given really.

I would 100% recommend getting involved in the Welcome Week events, day and night, and definitely think about joining a society at the Sports and Society fairs. These events are great opportunities to meet loads of people and make friends.

We do have a Facebook group for students who are Not Living in Halls which could also be helpful for finding fellow students in a similar situation to you.

Hope this helps and you have a fantastic time!

Tim

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending