The Student Room Group

Could someone just directly answer the question its really important

Describe how you could distinguish between separate solutions of sodium fluoride , sodium chloride , sodium bromide and sodium iodide using separate solutions silver nitrate and ammonia.

Predict the effect of concentrated ammonia solution on silver astatide ,AgAt and explain your answer.

9 marks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have chemistry questions to answer but I don't have a clue and no one will tell me the answer. I need it for tormoww or I can't do the couese. I really want to be a dentist.
Reply 3
Original post by FutureMedic97

It's not funny I said directly. This is important it's my future
Reply 4
Original post by England113
Describe how you could distinguish between separate solutions of sodium fluoride , sodium chloride , sodium bromide and sodium iodide using separate solutions silver nitrate and ammonia.

Predict the effect of concentrated ammonia solution on silver astatide ,AgAt and explain your answer.

9 marks

Silver nitrate can be used to distinguish between the different halide ions. Add an equal and adequate volume of silver nitrate solution to each of the test tubes.
Fluoride produces no precipitate.
Chloride produces a white precipitate.
Bromide produces a cream precipitate.
Iodide produces a yellow precipitate.

In order to distinguish further between chloride, bromide and iodide, for example, in the case that the colours cannot be identified properly, ammonia solution can be used. Chloride dissolves in dilute ammonia solution; bromide dissolves in concentrated ammonia solution and iodide dissolves in neither.

I am not 100% sure about the last question, but I believe that because astatine is quite inert, being lower than iodine, I would say that there would be no reaction between even concentrated ammonia solution and silver astatide; you can talk about the virtually no reactivity of astatine here.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5

That is a very good, well written source. Read it.

That page gives you the answers to all your questions, you just have to read it. On this forum users are advised to point people towards answers, not give them it on a plate- you're more likely to understand and remember it that way.
Reply 7
Original post by alow
That is a very good, well written source. Read it.

Look I don't understand because I haven't stated a level
Reply 8
Look I don't understand because I haven't stated a level

Try. You don't need to have started A Levels to understand that page.
With respect, I'm sure that this isn't intentional, but you're coming off as quite demanding.

Through three threads, people here have guided you to the answers which you seek but you repeat yourself again and again; you can't expect the answer to be written and spelt out for you, and only through seeking it yourself will you be able to actually find and understand the answer.

The web-link which I gave you on your original thread contains all of the information which you need. If you don't understand the material after having read through the page, that's fine, just ask specifically about what you don't understand, and someone will be able to elaborate. You can't just expect us, however, to hand you the answer.
Reply 10
Original post by sindyscape62
That page gives you the answers to all your questions, you just have to read it. On this forum users are advised to point people towards answers, not give them it on a plate- you're more likely to understand and remember it that way.

I understand but I have no time for that it needs to be in tormoww. I might not even do chemistry at this rate.
Reply 11
I understand but I have no time for that it needs to be in tormoww. I might not even do chemistry at this rate.

Then that's your fault for leaving your work this late. Nobody here is obliged to do your work for you.
Reply 12
Original post by SummerStrawberry
With respect, I'm sure that this isn't intentional, but you're coming off as quite demanding.

Through three threads, people here have guided you to the answers which you seek but you repeat yourself again and again; you can't expect the answer to be written and spelt out for you, and only through seeking it yourself will you be able to actually find and understand the answer.

The web-link which I gave you on your original thread contains all of the information which you need. If you don't understand the material after having read through the page, that's fine, just ask specifically about what you don't understand, and someone will be able to elaborate. You can't just expect us, however, to hand you the answer.

Please you can just tell me the answers to the questions then I will be able to take the course. I am just panicking because I am thinking of leaving the country at this rate.
silver nitrate.

You'll get sodium nitrate which is soluble and wont be visible and a precipitate of silver fluoride/chloride/bromide/iodide.

Now, i cant speak for fluoride since ive never used it (im surprised you have) but almost all silver salts are insoluble and AgCl, AgBr & AgI are no exception. Silver chloride will be white, bromide cream and iodide yellow.

if I had to guess I would say AgF would be soluble though that is literally me guessing based on a few speculative factors. Ive never used or even seen AgF.

That should distinguish the compounds. However, the question also wants you to use ammonia. So, AgCl will completely dissolve in ammonia to give a colourless solution. AgBr will dissolve in more concentrated ammonia and AgI is insoluble regardless of how much ammonia you put in there.

I don't know what AgF does but if I'm right and its already soluble in water then it shouldn't be relevant.

AgAt could do bloody anything. At isn't even a non-metal so i can't believe they're asking you about it. Still, based purely on the fact its in group 7 I would predict that it will form a water insoluble silver salt and will be insoluble in ammonia (as that seems to follow the trend down the periods).

I presume the question is for A-Level preparation work which you've been set over the summer to complete, and you're starting tomorrow. From that I would elaborate that you've left it until the last minute, so I would say to you that this might be a good lesson in the importance of getting things done sooner rather than later; if you want to do dentistry you will really need to get into good study habits.

With that said, I can understand that you need to get the question answered as soon as possible, so to allow me to help you, please could you tell me exactly what you don't understand from the chemguide link?
Reply 15
Original post by alow
Then that's your fault for leaving your work this late. Nobody here is obliged to do your work for you.

I have tried findings answer for 2 weeks.
Reply 16
Original post by SummerStrawberry
I presume the question is for A-Level preparation work which you've been set over the summer to complete, and you're starting tomorrow. From that I would elaborate that you've left it until the last minute, so I would say to you that this might be a good lesson in the importance of getting things done sooner rather than later; if you want to do dentistry you will really need to get into good study habits.

With that said, I can understand that you need to get the question answered as soon as possible, so to allow me to help you, please could you tell me exactly what you don't understand from the chemguide link?

It may appear that I am not a hard worker but I am and I am happy with my GCSE. I don't understand anything. I am not saying it to be awkard.
It may appear that I am not a hard worker but I am and I am happy with my GCSE. I don't understand anything. I am not saying it to be awkard.

I understand that, and that's why I'm still sat on this thread trying to help you, but I cannot help you until you help me; what exactly on the chemguide page do you not understand? I need to know this so that I can guide you through it.
Reply 18
I have tried findings answer for 2 weeks.

So why haven't you completed it then?

People have given you explanations and linked great websites that tell you all the information you need, other people can't understand it for you.

Look - you've asked for answers (several times in several threads over the last few days) and people have given you the answers. If you still can't answer the question then maybe you shouldn't be taking A-level chemistry anyway. You have to be able do your own work - especially if the school is using it to determine whether you can cope with the next two years or not.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest