Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i am applying for medicine with a foundation year. I only have one week of work experience in which i was extremely involved in. I was treating patients here myself. Im wondering what to write about in my personal statement considering that i havent done any voluntary work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingz_DD99)
    Hello, i am applying for medicine with a foundation year. I only have one week of work experience in which i was extremely involved in. I was treating patients here myself. Im wondering what to write about in my personal statement considering that i havent done any voluntary work.
    Could you elaborate please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    some European countries let you do some minor work that usually nurses do during your placement. I guess thats what he mean.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it was minor work such as helping out someone with a sprained elbow by putting it in a sling or helping to temporarily treat very deep cuts . However I was extremely involved in everything and observed the doctors sew up cuts, treat spinal injuries etc ..
    I'm just wondering what to put in my personal statement considering every one I've seen has voluntary work

Yes it was minor work such as helping out someone with a sprained elbow by putting it in a sling or helping to temporarily treat very deep cuts . However I was extremely involved in everything and observed the doctors sew up cuts, treat spinal injuries etc ..
    I'm just wondering what to put in my personal statement considering every one I've seen has voluntary work
    Reflect on your work experience.

ReputationRep:
    You don't necessarily need heaps of work experience, voluntary or not. Reflect on what you learned during the work experience and why the skills/knowledge you gained would help you be a better doctor. (You can use non-medical related stuff for this as well, but it's probably best to prioritise the medical work exp you have.)

If you're a little stuck then this site has examples of personal statements that do this very well. Obviously don't copy anything you see, but it's useful to see how other students have gone about writing about things and also to get a basic idea on how to structure your PS.

ReputationRep:
    As mentioned, what you learnt is the most important thing. 1 week of WE is fine, though a lack of any volunteering whatsoever isn't so great.

I would advise you to start volunteering, even if it's at a local charity shop. It shows a number of positive qualities, particularly if you stick to it for a while.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone but also Im applying for a degree which states that all applicants have to be from the UK and Northern Ireland. Do I count as an applicant from this region if i have lived here for 12 years?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone but also Im applying for a degree which states that all applicants have to be from the UK and Northern Ireland. Do I count as an applicant from this region if i have lived here for 12 years?
    If your place of permanent residence is in the UK, then probably? Contact admissions to double check, just to be safe.

ReputationRep:
    Be very careful what you write on your PS about your involvement in this sort of thing - they don't want to see you bragging about doing things you may not have had (what they would consider) adequate training for.

ReputationRep:
    I asked because of what Helen's said above: be careful about what you write in your PS regarding "treating" patients. We had someone on here a few years ago who (apparently) carried out circumcisions on work experience in Africa and wanted to bring it up in his personal statement.

It goes without saying that some regions of the world have different forms of regulation and less monitoring when it comes to patient care compared to the UK, so work experience students might get to do a lot more than they bargained for whilst on placement abroad. However, the GMC would still expect you to act within your level of expertise, even if you're abroad. So unless you have the appropriate qualifications, I would personally be very hesitant about describing any direct involvement in treating patients in your PS.

ReputationRep:
    I asked because of what Helen's said above: be careful about what you write in your PS regarding "treating" patients. We had someone on here a few years ago who (apparently) carried out circumcisions on work experience in Africa and wanted to bring it up in his personal statement.

It goes without saying that some regions of the world have different forms of regulation and less monitoring when it comes to patient care compared to the UK, so work experience students might get to do a lot more than they bargained for whilst on placement abroad. However, the GMC would still expect you to act within your level of expertise, even if you're abroad. So unless you have the appropriate qualifications, I would personally be very hesitant about describing any direct involvement in treating patients in your PS.
    Yeah ok thanks for warning. However, I didn't think I said anything which sounds unrealistic did I? I would expand it rather than saying 'treating patients' in my personal statement tho

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.