Turn on thread page Beta

Hello

I was just wondering. What is the acid used to clean toilets. I dont know if you have it in developed countries etc. But here people use Acid to clean toilets. And I am curious what is this acid.

It is Yellowish in colour ?

Is it HCl , H2SO4 , or HNO3

Personally I think it is HNO3, but I am not sure.

I asked a junior teacher and first he said:

- It is DILUTE HCl

Someone asked " Sir, why is it yellowish in colour ? "

He said:

- It is so CONCENTRATED that it is Yellow in colour

:confused:

But by the way, Could it be conc.HCl, I mean I thought that that stuff ate up plastic ( the material of the bottles in which we keep the acid )

?

THere is also more, sometimes people use it to get rid of rust from iron ( by using a brush to rub the acid directly on the metal ) , If it would be conc. HCl would not it eat the iron right away.

ReputationRep:
    People use hypochlorite bleach (or other bleaches) and ionic surfactants to clean toilets here in the UK. The colour could be deliberate or from some ionic surfactants in the product. I strongly doubt that concentrated acids of any kind are used as domestic cleaners. Are you sure it is not a hypochlorite bleach? What does it smell like?

Beware, the colour may be artificially made yellow to make it look more like a cleaning agent.

ReputationRep:
    Tough Bowl®,, Bathroom Cleaner, 9.5% HCL,
    Johnson Diversey

$33.48 / CT

* 9.5% HCL Bowl Cleaner.
    * Formulated with 9.5% hydrochloric acid.
    * Effective against rust, uric acid and hard water deposits.
    * Thickened formula clings for better cleaning.
    * Floor cleaning toilet bowls and urinals only, ready to use.

ReputationRep:
    And thus the problem is solved.

btw for reference conc. HCl is usually 37% solution or thereabouts.

I should think the colour is either artificial or results from the surfactants and thickening agents in the product. Conc. Nitric does turn yellow, but I think that's the only one that does.

ReputationRep:
    Nitric acid is also brilliant at turning fingers orange. If anyone were to ask me to come up with a test for it, that's probably the one I'd use, I've done it so often. Gloves just annoy me.

People use hypochlorite bleach (or other bleaches) and ionic surfactants to clean toilets here in the UK. The colour could be deliberate or from some ionic surfactants in the product. I strongly doubt that concentrated acids of any kind are used as domestic cleaners. Are you sure it is not a hypochlorite bleach? What does it smell like?
    Its an acid all right. It gives bubbles when a rusted rod is put in it.

As for the smell. I dont think it has much of a smell. But it is acid.

Beware, the colour may be artificially made yellow to make it look more like a cleaning agent.
    Anyway to test that ?
    Tough Bowl®,, Bathroom Cleaner, 9.5% HCL,
    Johnson Diversey

$33.48 / CT

* 9.5% HCL Bowl Cleaner.
    * Formulated with 9.5% hydrochloric acid.
    * Effective against rust, uric acid and hard water deposits.
    * Thickened formula clings for better cleaning.
    * Floor cleaning toilet bowls and urinals only, ready to use.
    Well...
    1- The one we have is not of a company, it is a plain bottle filled with a yellowish acid

2- The acid is not only for toilets etc. It is SOLD as just "Acid" , you can use it for for any purpose , though Toilet cleaning is more common.

However as the specifications seem to match with the things people do with it, it could be HCl- with colour added.

And thus the problem is solved.

btw for reference conc. HCl is usually 37% solution or thereabouts.

I should think the colour is either artificial or results from the surfactants and thickening agents in the product. Conc. Nitric does turn yellow, but I think that's the only one that does.
    Yes the person who told me it was nitric acid said that NO2 is dissolved and so it gives the colour.

Nitric acid is also brilliant at turning fingers orange. If anyone were to ask me to come up with a test for it, that's probably the one I'd use, I've done it so often. Gloves just annoy me.
    Nice test...:P

BUT if it is conc.HNO3 then I dont think it would be a very good idea to SKIN-CHECK it.

-----------------------------------------

Does anyone know of any SAFE test I could carry out at home ( vacations ).

I know of some tests but where am I supposed to get 'Silver Nitrate' or 'Aqueous Sodium Hydroxide and aluminium powder'.

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt it is any sort of concentrated acid. How viscous is it?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Concentrated hydrochloric acid used to be sold in the chemists in the UK under the name "spirits of salts" - It's primary use was cleaning porcelaine and ceramics such as toilets. It was also called muriatic acid....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Concentrated hydrochloric acid used to be sold in the chemists in the UK under the name "spirits of salts" - It's primary use was cleaning porcelaine and ceramics such as toilets. It was also called muriatic acid....
    I should think it was diluted first before being used for cleaning (although if you are struggling to clean you bucky funnel then a bit of conc. acid usually does the trick). I am constantly amazed at the amount of highly dangerous chemicals one could get at the chemists back in yesteryear.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 3, 2007

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.