Turn on thread page Beta

Second degree funding - healthcare courses eligible for NHS Bursary watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    My local authority turned me down for a student loan because I'd already done an honours degree at a UK institution. I questioned this decision as I have an offer to do Dietetics which is an NHS funded course eligible for a Bursary. Student Loans Company and the local authority were adamant I was not entitled to anything. I insisted they check in the exceptions to this rule, and it turned out I am right - I am entitled to a loan. If I hadn't really pushed, they would have fobbed me off and I've have had to borrow £12k (£3k x 4 years) at commercial rates to fund my course, rather than the very low student loan rates.

Hopefully this information will help others in a similar position. If you are entitled to a means-tested NHS bursary, you should qualify for a loan, even if you already have an honours degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalala1971)
    Hi,
    My local authority turned me down for a student loan because I'd already done an honours degree at a UK institution. I questioned this decision as I have an offer to do Dietetics which is an NHS funded course eligible for a Bursary. Student Loans Company and the local authority were adamant I was not entitled to anything. I insisted they check in the exceptions to this rule, and it turned out I am right - I am entitled to a loan. If I hadn't really pushed, they would have fobbed me off and I've have had to borrow £12k (£3k x 4 years) at commercial rates to fund my course, rather than the very low student loan rates.

Hopefully this information will help others in a similar position. If you are entitled to a means-tested NHS bursary, you should qualify for a loan, even if you already have an honours degree.
    yup I get one for physio too. I think its only a few specific healthcare courses though that are entiled to second degree funding. But well done for pursuing it.

ReputationRep:
    Good for you!

It just goes to show that you really need to do your research and not blindly accept the 'official' opinion as, sometimes, it can be incorrect. I've had people at the SLC swear blind they were unable to do things that other people in their organisation had no trouble sorting out...

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I can understand how this mistake was made.

People who get a means-tested nhs bursary are entitled to the reduced rate maintenance loan. However, there is also a previous study rule (which states that nobody with an honours degree can get funding), which can appear to override this.

The problem arises because the regulations are worded in lawyer speak, and its very difficult to determine whether the previous study rule overrides the nhs rule or vice versa. My LEA actually had to check with the governing body, who took several days to get back to them, before it was confirmed that anyone who gets a means-tested nhs bursary is eligible, regardless of whether they have had previous study.

ReputationRep:
    Whats an NHS Bursary, does it apply to all or selective Dietetic degrees??

Should I take it as red that I be eligible for full funding, if I am to study Dietetics.

Chris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloder)
    Whats an NHS Bursary, does it apply to all or selective Dietetic degrees??

Should I take it as red that I be eligible for full funding, if I am to study Dietetics.

Chris
    It applies to all dietetic degrees I believe

ReputationRep:
    do you still get the loan if you want to study dietetics as a second degree in scotland even if you're from london

ReputationRep:
    im from ireland and have done two years of a degree. i want to study dietetics now will i be eligible for funding as its my second degree...as i didnt finish the first one...thanks!!

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.