Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Toxic workplace is making me ill with stress and can't cope watch

I work in a fast food restaurant and basically it's like my worst nightmare- in relation to quality of working life and wellbeing.

It's worth noting I'm a graduate actively looking for other work (to no avail), and trying to hang on in there but each day gets harder. I already suffer from social anxiety, depression and I'm a sensitive person also.

The managers are cliquey, the store manager loves people sucking up to her, and it's just a very malicious environment. A lot of backbiting, degrading and bullying. Some crew members even mob together with other managers and sort of **** me off and pick fun at fact 'X Manager has me on his/her shift'- it's within earshot but it's like people don't care. Lots of mocking how I work despite the fact I try feet hard to do stuff, I'm just not so quick, but that's through disability, also have a physical disability- though can walk.
    Today, I had a morning shift, I arrived twenty mins late because buses didn't turn up, and it was bank holiday (Sunday service). I attempted to ring up to notify but phone was engaged. *I arrived and one of senior managers looked proper disappointed, but didn't say anything. I went and got changed, came back down clocked in, and manager was all in my face, rifling through timetables, saying I'm looking for this weeks, as you were supposed to be in at 10.30. I said yes, however, buses were late and it's Sunday times. She told me she didn't care and that I should set off earlier if I knew it was Sunday time, and it isn't good enough.

I told her I did set off early and she shrugged. Needless to say I was pissed off, since I'm rarely late, and she completely ridiculed me. Upper management are horrible, and everyone has the same ruthless attitude, the franchisee is arrogant and has a dismissive attitude.

I'm on medication for anxiety at the moment, and if I wasn't I don't think I can cope and to be honest it not working that greatly. I'm coming home exhausted and dizzy and feel malaise. I'm also not eating properly or sleeping.

What can I do? I'm working full time and need to pay bills so can't quit.*

ReputationRep:
    You need to start finding the opportunities for your preferred line of work quickly. Your current line of work clearly has a negative effect on your mental wellbeing so the easiest solution is to resign and go on jobseeker's allowance.

ReputationRep:
    Look for job in another restaurant or retail shop whilst you find a graduate job

ReputationRep:
    find another equivalent job? if you know you'll be leaving soon it's probably easier to cope with people being nasty... try not to take things personally for now but know that not everywhere is like this! in the meantime apply for anything and everything which will pay the bills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I work in a fast food restaurant and basically it's like my worst nightmare- in relation to quality of working life and wellbeing.

It's worth noting I'm a graduate actively looking for other work (to no avail), and trying to hang on in there but each day gets harder. I already suffer from social anxiety, depression and I'm a sensitive person also.

The managers are cliquey, the store manager loves people sucking up to her, and it's just a very malicious environment. A lot of backbiting, degrading and bullying. Some crew members even mob together with other managers and sort of **** me off and pick fun at fact 'X Manager has me on his/her shift'- it's within earshot but it's like people don't care. Lots of mocking how I work despite the fact I try feet hard to do stuff, I'm just not so quick, but that's through disability, also have a physical disability- though can walk.
    Today, I had a morning shift, I arrived twenty mins late because buses didn't turn up, and it was bank holiday (Sunday service). I attempted to ring up to notify but phone was engaged. *I arrived and one of senior managers looked proper disappointed, but didn't say anything. I went and got changed, came back down clocked in, and manager was all in my face, rifling through timetables, saying I'm looking for this weeks, as you were supposed to be in at 10.30. I said yes, however, buses were late and it's Sunday times. She told me she didn't care and that I should set off earlier if I knew it was Sunday time, and it isn't good enough.

I told her I did set off early and she shrugged. Needless to say I was pissed off, since I'm rarely late, and she completely ridiculed me. Upper management are horrible, and everyone has the same ruthless attitude, the franchisee is arrogant and has a dismissive attitude.

I'm on medication for anxiety at the moment, and if I wasn't I don't think I can cope and to be honest it not working that greatly. I'm coming home exhausted and dizzy and feel malaise. I'm also not eating properly or sleeping.

What can I do? I'm working full time and need to pay bills so can't quit.*
    First go to an employment agency on the high street in your lunch break, sign up with them and sign up with lots of other agencies as it's easier getting a job through them.
    Apply for Trainee Recruitment Consultant jobs as they pay better and have better prospects, ask agencies for those type of jobs and apply for them online and other jobs too on websites like
    Reed, CV Library, Monster, Indeed, etc

Or look on www.student jobs

Or type Seeking Arrangement on google & sign up with them to work as a companion to rich people where you don't have to sleep with them
    Watch these films Sugarbabies then watch Sugardaddies on
    A free film website callefd 123movies.to

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.