Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i just got my mock results back and im going to be going into year 11 in a few days. i was wondering how i could improve my grades so i can get 10A*s in time for the real exams???
    English Lang/Lit: 6
    Maths: 5
    Geography: B
    Media: A
    RE:A*
    Core Science: A (havent done any mock exams for additional and further yet)
    Sociology: A
    Spanish: A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fii_xox)
    i just got my mock results back and im going to be going into year 11 in a few days. i was wondering how i could improve my grades so i can get 10A*s in time for the real exams???
    English Lang/Lit: 6
    Maths: 5
    Geography: B
    Media: A
    RE:A*
    Core Science: A (havent done any mock exams for additional and further yet)
    Sociology: A
    Spanish: A
    Not everybody can get 10 A*

ReputationRep:
    constantly revise idk, try not to stress yourself out though. Even two A* would be amazing
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    revision cards, videos, sometimes teaching others helps?For geography - do cards on case studies and stuff.
    Just don't give up and keep up the good work ethic u have obviously got already

ReputationRep:
    Gcses arent hard. They are made such that if you know the books made for each subject and learn the words from them and all information then you will succeed also if you have done past papers and know the answers to the questions from past papers (which are repeated in different wording) then you will get an A*.

Although maths has gotten harder and for this what I did was: mathswatch videos, practice questions from books then past papers. this will get you an A* 100%.

so:

1) past papers.
    2) practice questions
    3) get the books made for the subjects by exam boards
    4) you will get an a*

also= get as high as possible in coursework they will BOOST YOU A LOT!

ReputationRep:
    The best thing to do is work on the subjects you're not as good at, so for me I worked on Spanish more (I did a week of intense revision before the exam and came out with an A when I thought I'd barely pass since I hadn't taken the subject very seriously and could barely construct a sentence lol). Honestly the best way if you're just starting year 11 is pay attention in class, take good notes, make sure you understand all the content and revise effectively a month or two before your exams start. I mostly used the specifications as I revised so I knew that I had covered everything that could possible come up in the exams.

ReputationRep:
    Revise

ReputationRep:
    Focus on what you are worst at, and build on that first. The law of diminishing marginal returns teaches us that your effort will lead to smaller increases in performance once you get better at something, so concentrate at what you are worst at first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For science i would reccommend you revise the cgp books inside out, memorise EVERYTHING in those books (do as many past papers as you can close to exams) and i ensure you that you'll get your a*'s

ReputationRep:
    I second the coursework thing, please be bothered to do it, don't be like me.

10A*s is a hard challenge, but one thing I've noticed that distinguish the A* from the A is to be able to adapt, under pressure in the exam hall. Because when you take your real exam it is going to feel a lot different from mocks and past papers you have done - where you're in a low pressure environment. Even though the real exam paper differs little from your mocks, they will still feel different, you'll feel a higher level of pressure. Lots of teacher, friends etc. Tell you to 'treat the exam like a mock' THAT DOES NOT WORK!

Therefore, an A* student will be able to deal with upfront pressure with high EQ and skill.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, read through the textbook of every single subject. Do it thoroughly
    Secondly, in my opinion, you need motivation. For example, I've always wanted to get into banking and I knew it was a very competitive field so I needed the best grades possible. This motivated me a lot and I got 8A* and 2As

ReputationRep:
    Sciences/Maths: Past papers. Do all of them and then the recent ones repeatedly. If you start to run out then throw textbook questions in there. Saving a recent paper or two for the day before the exam is a good idea as well imo.

Languages: Speak the language outside of lessons. Watch foreign tv. Listen to foreign music. Change your devices to be in Spanish. This is overkill for GCSE but its my advice for languages. Flashcards can be good for vocab too, i recommend Anki.

English: Get your teacher to mark past paper questions. Marking yourself isn't a good idea for this. Oh, and make sure your grammar/spelling is flawless. Most people cant use semi-colons and colons to save their life so learn this.

Geography/Sociology/Media: Idk :/ get your teachers to mark past papers i guess? Never done these subjects so idk what they really entail, sorry.

Exam technique is king. The content at GCSE is pretty minimal so if you perfect exam technique it goes a long way so its worth looking at past papers and getting your teachers to mark them in every subject even if that isn't the majority of your revision. I would say, CheeselsVeg's suggestion of helping others is something I find helps me. I find having to break down something to help someone else understand it quite good at cementing information.

All of this is subjective, however. Everyone revises differently. Some people love flash cards for everything but I find them useless for sciences. Its worth trying everything until you find what works.

EDIT: I would say, in a lot of subjects the difference between an A* and a high A is quite luck based. The less concrete subjects especially. Often the determining factor in English or history is whether or not the examiner like how you write rather than if your work is good enough. This doesn't really apply to Maths and science though, at least at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Focus on what you are worst at, and build on that first. The law of diminishing marginal returns teaches us that your effort will lead to smaller increases in performance once you get better at something, so concentrate at what you are worst at first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got 10A*s and 2As so I can perhaps be of help to you? I wanna also say I'm naturally clever but not ridiculously naturally clever... I worked my butt off for these grades.

Basically at the start of year 11 I said to myself that I would start revising in September. Like no, don't do this - you'll probably just get burnt out and stuff. Also controlled assessments and coursework is what you should focus on from Sept-Nov. Really try and nail those, but if all doesn't go to plan then it's fine - you'll just have to work harder for the exams (but it is possible). I'd aim for A*s in all of your courseworks but if you can't an A is perfectly fine. Also, if you get a B you can still get an A* overall but you have to do seriously well in your exams.

Anyway, so after October ends/start of November, you will probably have finished the majority of your coursework and you should now start to get ready for your mocks. I made revision resources for the mocks, so I could reuse them for the real exams. Work seriously hard for your mocks - it will pay off and trust me it feels great after getting those good mock grades. If you don't do as well as you wanted in your mocks then you have 5/6 months to improve so you'll be fine. Also, try not to use past papers for mocks, try and save them for around the real exam period. AND... do not cheat on your mocks, it won't help you at all. Try to be positive with failure - pick yourself up and try again. I'd say if you're disappointed with a grade then have a few hours to get over it and then just continue to revise and work.

Anyway, after mocks so around January time, I had more coursework to finish. You don't really need to start revision now. BUT please do revise for in class tests! Anyway, I'd say start making revision resources like cards, posters or whatever works for you at around February time. Don't hardcore revise! Maybe a few hours per night and if you don't have that time then don't worry! I did most of my revision cards in front of Netflix but I do not recommend as I didn't actually take anything in so I just had to revise it loads at a later date. I'd say if you're revising like this early then you can afford to relax during your breaks. In easter, do like maybe 4 hours per day and then just relax for the rest of the day.

After the easter holiday, I'd say you'll want to start cranking up the amount of revision you do. Aim to be confident with the specifications by the end of April and start doing a few past papers, but leave a couple for the day before of the exam for that certain subject.

The start of May is when you want to start making sure that you know all the knowledge for your exams before May half term. The day before your first exam, you will be scared and nervous but just revise the whole specification the day before of the exam. It can be done... I think I could revise the whole of each science unit in about 4 hours. Do a past paper after and then just revise anything you're shaky on. Your first exam will be daunting but keep your calm. Eat and drink and sleep well before it. It may go worse than expected - it usually does if it's your first exam. Everything is new and you're not used to that. However, after like 3 exams you get used to it and the nerves just go and you're just ready for the exams and for them to be over. Revise, eat, sleep and repeat!

When you get to the May/June half term, you're gonna feel drained and you'll just wanna have the exams to be over. Meet up with your friends on the day of your last exam for half term starts. It makes you feel normal again and just let's you have a relax. Plan what you'll do in the break. If you've revised properly before exam season then all the knowledge will come back in this half term. Trust me it does. I was worried that I would have forgotten it but I didn't! This will be the last stretch so just pull through and it'll be fine. When your last exams come around... do not slack just carry on otherwise you might regret it on results day,

You will feel so amazing after they're all done. It will be hard work and it will be stressful but just make sure you're organised and you look after yourself. If you feel yourself getting too worked up then just slow down. Getting 10A*s is not worth it if you're damaging yourself. You need to put yourself first. Don't compare yourself to anyone and you'll be fine!

Good luck! You'll be brill!

P.S. Sorry for the long reply and my awful English!

ReputationRep:
    Hard work and determination!!!
    Also, don't set your standards too high, don't make unrealistic target grades as youll be terribly disappointed if you you don't meet the targets!!
    Don't ever make an excuse to not revise never compromise such things
    Good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edosawr)
    x

Nice essay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themathgeek)
    Hey I got 12A* 2A at gcse and can honestly say I wasn't expecting it. The best thing to do as said above is have lower expectations, not ridiculously low but just more realistic, this way you will not feel pressured or discouraged if you fall short in practice and so you'll be more relax and naturally do better.

I'm not going to say anything about revision, because I didn't do much and some of the stuff other people posted is brilliant.

Also if you fall short, you'll soon realise GCSEs mean absolutely nothing and your life is no where near over if you get even a fraction of what you want. And I'm not saying this cos I did badly and am using it as an excuse to say they don't matter, I'm saying this because they really don't (only to get into a better sixth form and your a level choices)

Good luck and enjoy it while it lasts

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They really don't matter... I've got to finalise my options tomorrow for a levels and I've decided to go ahead with bio and chem even though I fora C in bio m. I can still do it so I'm not letting a bad grade (that I wasn't really expecting) stop me from turning things around.
    Btw did you just say you did "badly" because it so isn't - I've been reading loads of people saying that many GCSEs had made them disappointed which has made me question whether I should be happy with my grades like I was when I first opened my envelope ( in terms of the As and A*s)
    I only got 2 A*s 3As 2Bs 3Cs and 1D

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.