Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had a frenuloplasty (of the knob) on the 26th during which a haematoma developed, and the surgeon said he'd have to re-operate to circumcise if it got worse. Thankfully after three hours it hadn't gotten any worse and I was released from his clutches.

The only advice I was given was to 'keep it clean', but the foreskin won't retract at all now. The underside of top of the shaft/foreskin is purple and painful to touch. There appears to be stitches coming from the inside of the top of the foreskin.

I don't know if I can't retract because of swelling caused by the haematoma (it doesn't look massively swollen) and I don't get why there would be stitches on the inside of the foreskin. Does anybody have experience of this?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Skin)
    I had a frenuloplasty (of the knob) on the 26th during which a haematoma developed, and the surgeon said he'd have to re-operate to circumcise if it got worse. Thankfully after three hours it hadn't gotten any worse and I was released from his clutches.

The only advice I was given was to 'keep it clean', but the foreskin won't retract at all now. The underside of top of the shaft/foreskin is purple and painful to touch. There appears to be stitches coming from the inside of the top of the foreskin.

I don't know if I can't retract because of swelling caused by the haematoma (it doesn't look massively swollen) and I don't get why there would be stitches on the inside of the foreskin. Does anybody have experience of this?
    Hopefully someone will come along on here that has more knowledge of this than me but it's really something you need to ask a medical professional about, preferably in a way that they can examine you. Hopefully there won't be a problem but it's far better to be safe than sorry with these things and it's obviously not somewhere you want anything untoward to happen to! Hope it turns out alright anyway

ReputationRep:
    No medical professional will touch this kind of question with a barge pole unless they've done an examination and are familiar with your case.

The only real advice I can give is that if this is causing you problems urinating you should seek medical help ASAP. Other than that you should use your best judgement and go and see your doctor if you are in any doubt. Worst case they tell you to go away and wait longer for it to heal, substantially better than the worse case if something is wrong and you don't go.

ReputationRep:
    OK so it's now been two weeks and four days. The bleeding has thankfully stopped and the bruising gone but the foreskin still won't retract at all. The GP basically just said 'it doesn't look infected, just leave it alone and hope for the best', but it seems to be getting worse.

Before the surgery it would retract pretty much fully, albeit with discomfort, now I can only just about expose the pee hole. It's like the foreskin has been cut and made tighter or smaller. It just won't budge and I assume it can't still be swollen 18 days later?

I know TSR isn't a substitute for a surgeon, but my GP isn't that helpful and it's not an emergency, so I don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    This particular operation can take up to four weeks to heal fully. If your GP was satisfied and it has been less than three weeks since your surgery it's possible that the situation will improve with a little more time. You are though entitled to seek a second opinion from another doctor and if you remain concerned that is an option you could pursue.

Do you have a follow up with the surgeon who performed the operation or his team? If you have that coming up in the near future they'll catch any problems then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nefarious)
    This particular operation can take up to four weeks to heal fully. If your GP was satisfied and it has been less than three weeks since your surgery it's possible that the situation will improve with a little more time. You are though entitled to seek a second opinion from another doctor and if you remain concerned that is an option you could pursue.

Do you have a follow up with the surgeon who performed the operation or his team? If you have that coming up in the near future they'll catch any problems then.
    I'm now going wait till four weeks are almost up and then go back to the GP (a different one this time) as it's shown no signs of improvement. It really doesn't seem as if should be like this.

Unfortunately there was no follow up scheduled. I wasn't even given aftercare advice or a discharge letter. There also seems to be no way to contact the surgeon. Ah well.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.