Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My parents (mum, specifically) won't let me leave the house for a concert in November because apparently I should be studying for my exams (that are in May). The concert is on a Friday night, so it wouldn't even be interrupting any school activities. Is that even fair?

ReputationRep:
    That is unfair, you don't need to be studying as soon as you get home from school, I didn't study until about April for my GCSEs and I did fine, my parents weren't bothered if and when I revised, they just let me get on with it. You need breaks and some fun between studying otherwise you'll burn out and do worse in your exams, it will probably also make you a lot more stressed and you'll lack motivation by the time the exams do some around.

ReputationRep:
    A friday night should be a day off.
    I'm in A levels and have like 3 concerts around christmas time. On actual schoolnights which i didn't realise.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion and my mum would also agree that letting a teen at this crucial time in their teen have a small break or fun every now and again is need for distress as well as just breaking free from all the school work you get all worked up about, I would say your mum is being quite tight tbh
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    lol

ReputationRep:
    All I gotta say is...

0800 1111

ReputationRep:
    http://www.samaritans.org

ReputationRep:
    headbutt her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sueleen)
    My parents (mum, specifically) won't let me leave the house for a concert in November because apparently I should be studying for my exams (that are in May). The concert is on a Friday night, so it wouldn't even be interrupting any school activities. Is that even fair?
    Frankly, you are lucky to have parents who care enough about you to be so interested in you and your future. There are many young people out there, including on this site who are struggling alone and with parents who don't give a **** for them. So you're going to miss a concert. It's not the end of the world, is it? Suck it up. There will be plenty more concerts. X

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how old you are.

Know your rights though, you should be free to do what you want. You must make the ultimate decision. No one can use force to make you do what you want. So long as youre not like 13 or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    Frankly, you are lucky to have parents who care enough about you to be so interested in you and your future. There are many young people out there, including on this site who are struggling alone and with parents who don't give a **** for them. So you're going to miss a concert. It's not the end of the world, is it? Suck it up. There will be plenty more concerts. X
    but some ppl use the wrong methods, My parents didn't let me do English lit because they worried about my future. I still regret listening to them to this day.

ReputationRep:
    Too early, enough said.

ReputationRep:
    Umm GCSEs are ages away. You must be asian

ReputationRep:
    Show them these comments

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.