The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If Harry was protected from Voldemort because Lily sacrificed herself for him... is that to say that Lily was the only person out of all the people killed by Voldemort who sacrificed herself for someone else?
Reply 81
Taak_
I was always confused that they introduced time-travel at all, surely this renders the entire other 5 books completely defunct, if random 12-year-olds can do it and not the Dark Lord Himself?

But if I remember correctly, Hermione had some kind of device to make it work, so perhaps no other magic could be used for time-travel, although perhaps a bit more background into that would have been good.
Reply 82
Taak_
I was always confused that they introduced time-travel at all, surely this renders the entire other 5 books completely defunct, if random 12-year-olds can do it and not the Dark Lord Himself?

I'm sure I read in one of the books, Dumbledore saying to Harry that Voldemort was never really interested in time-travel and thought it was a useless type of magic.

Wasn't the time-turner introduced in the third book?
Reply 83
Princess_Kirstin
If Harry was protected from Voldemort because Lily sacrificed herself for him... is that to say that Lily was the only person out of all the people killed by Voldemort who sacrificed herself for someone else?

I would assume that other people would have bee prepared to die to save their loved ones but unlike Lily, they were not given the choice of whether to live or die.
Reply 84
shyopstv
I would assume that other people would have bee prepared to die to save their loved ones but unlike Lily, they were not given the choice of whether to live or die.

Oh yeah. That makes sense.
Reply 85
shyopstv

Yep, I doubt that Voldemort really gave anyone else a choice to die or not.

And as for the Time Turner, thousands of fans have thought the same, that Voldemort could use it to become more powerful. But you have to remember the Butterfly Effect. If Voldemort went back and killed say Dumbledore before Harry, he would have no idea how that would effect the future. In this case, someone else would have heard the propercy of Harry and Voldemort, so there wouldn't be a chance that Voldemort himself would have heard it, so Harry might have grown up with his parents since Voldemort wouldn't have known to go after them.
Reply 86
In DH, it's said that there's no need to test Hagrid as you can only change into humans using polyjuice but in COS Hermione changes using cat hairs?
Reply 87
mogger71
In DH, it's said that there's no need to test Hagrid as you can only change into humans using polyjuice but in COS Hermione changes using cat hairs?

It wasn't a very successful transformation though, was it. She became this half human half cat thing.
Reply 88
Dude
It wasn't a very successful transformation though, was it. She became this half human half cat thing.

She became a human shaped cat. Giants are humanoid and Hagrid even more so being half human, surely it must be more than possible to transform into him using polyjuice.
Reply 89
mogger71
She became a human shaped cat. Giants are humanoid and Hagrid even more so being half human, surely it must be more than possible to transform into him using polyjuice.

No, he would likely become like Hermione. Half way through the transformations.

If anything, Hermione turning into a cat proves that it only works on humans
Reply 90
If anything, Hermione turning into a cat proves that it only works on humans

S'pose so. Anyway, Hermione is turning into a bit of a fox these day!
Reply 91
She *the one in the film* overacts waaaaaaaaaaaay too much! Spoils my version of hermione...
Something i haven't yet understood. How did Sape know the exact date and time of the deparure from Privet Drive? And when Voldy asks him, he says "from the source we discuused- who was that person?
Reply 93
dumbleydore.
Reply 94
cottonmouth
Something i haven't yet understood. How did Sape know the exact date and time of the deparure from Privet Drive? And when Voldy asks him, he says "from the source we discuused- who was that person?

It was Dumbledores portrait still giving him instructions.
Who did Snape tell Voldemort he was getting the info from?
Reply 96
cottonmouth
Who did Snape tell Voldemort he was getting the info from?

Just from a private source.

He would have most likely told Voldemort that if he revealed the name of the source, then he wouldn't be able to get any more information. And since his information was accurate, Voldemort trusted him.
Dude
Just from a private source.

He would have most likely told Voldemort that if he revealed the name of the source, then he wouldn't be able to get any more information. And since his information was accurate, Voldemort trusted him.

You really should change your user title to TSR's fountain of all Potter knowledge :p:
Reply 98
- skyhigh
You really should change your user title to TSR's fountain of all Potter knowledge :p:

Doesn't fit :p:

Plus most of the HP users on this site already reconise me as that, even though I have been proven wrong a few times
Dude
It was Dumbledores portrait still giving him instructions.

so how did the portrait know? surely the order of the phoenix weren't taking orders from an old picture...?

Latest