Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to study biology, chemistry and art at A level but I'm not sure whether it would be too much work with all these subjects together. Advice?

ReputationRep:
    I think that doing 2 sciences will be a lot of hard work and it also depends on what u want to do after alevels.

I also need some help I want to do business, economics and sociology because I think they r a good combination but I don't know what I want to study afterwards in university. Can I have some advice please I would really appreciate it 😫

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavita2000)
    I think that doing 2 sciences will be a lot of hard work and it also depends on what u want to do after alevels.

I also need some help I want to do business, economics and sociology because I think they r a good combination but I don't know what I want to study afterwards in university. Can I have some advice please I would really appreciate it 😫

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel the same way you do, I don't really have a clue or direction as to what I want to go in, I think if you decide to chose those subjects research into careers you can go into and try to not keep your choices limited so that in case it turns out you don't want to do a certain thing you can change it if you want. Also thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting my a levels in just over a week and have yet to finalise my options ( tomorrow). I origins picked bio, Chen, English lit and politics ( I'll be swapping politics with RS as I know I will do better in that having got an A* one mark short of full marks in the second paper)
    I just need some advise on whether to do bio and chem
    I got a B in chem ( predicted a B but wanted an A) and a C in bio ( the bio exams nearly gave me a heart attack after thinking I was well prepared for it!!!)
    Do you think I should still go for it as my schools entry requirements are pretty much all at a minimum C in GCSEs to do an a level in that subject
    I'm really determined to turn things around so is it worthy it??
    I'm hoping to talk to someone who may have got similar grades in those subjects but still chose to do them at a level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starlight2000)
    I'm starting my a levels in just over a week and have yet to finalise my options ( tomorrow). I origins picked bio, Chen, English lit and politics ( I'll be swapping politics with RS as I know I will do better in that having got an A* one mark short of full marks in the second paper)
    I just need some advise on whether to do bio and chem
    I got a B in chem ( predicted a B but wanted an A) and a C in bio ( the bio exams nearly gave me a heart attack after thinking I was well prepared for it!!!)
    Do you think I should still go for it as my schools entry requirements are pretty much all at a minimum C in GCSEs to do an a level in that subject
    I'm really determined to turn things around so is it worthy it??
    I'm hoping to talk to someone who may have got similar grades in those subjects but still chose to do them at a level
    Even though you got a C if you really enjoy and interested in biology then you should do to and if you are willing to work and is really determined then I think you should do it. Also it depends on if you what you want to do in the future and if you need biology and chemistry. Both chemistry and biology individually open a lot of options. It all comes down to whether you think personally you can do it and can take on the work load. I think you can do it If you put your mind to it and work really hard.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by KT1216)
    I want to study biology, chemistry and art at A level but I'm not sure whether it would be too much work with all these subjects together. Advice?
    Hi guys,

I am a student from Ravensbourne,

Biology Chemistry and Art may sound like a lot of work, but there must be a reason why you decided to keep art as well, admittedly art is a lot of coursework, but what subject doesn't require a bit of work. I did science, maths based subjects but I kept art as an outlet because I didn't have to think too much into it while I was working and I worked better that way.

As Starlight2000 said, it can also depend on what you would like to do after, for example if you have it set in stone that you want to be a doctor and art is too much you can consider dropping it to focus solely on sciences. I've had friends who did 2 A levels as well.
    Starlight2000, Business, economics and sociology are a good mix of subjects and if you are unsure of what you would like to do, perhaps pick a starting point then start looking into job descriptions and ask yourself 'is it something you see yourself doing?'

If you are sure of what you would like to do career wise and sure of what you enjoy, take action towards focusing that goal. it is good to keep your options open but remember the whole system of GCSE, to A levels to University is to eventually help you narrow your choices and your options. Each milestone you are dropping subjects because after studying you know what you do like or don't like. This process is ultimately leading you up to study at university eventually finishing with a job of your choice.

You can also consider speaking to teachers about your options, I had a case where I was unsure of what I wanted, so I was able to do a taster between two options and see which I felt better in.

Hope this helps,
    Jay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravensbourne)
    Hi guys,

I am a student from Ravensbourne,

Biology Chemistry and Art may sound like a lot of work, but there must be a reason why you decided to keep art as well, admittedly art is a lot of coursework, but what subject doesn't require a bit of work. I did science, maths based subjects but I kept art as an outlet because I didn't have to think too much into it while I was working and I worked better that way.

As Starlight2000 said, it can also depend on what you would like to do after, for example if you have it set in stone that you want to be a doctor and art is too much you can consider dropping it to focus solely on sciences. I've had friends who did 2 A levels as well.
    Starlight2000, Business, economics and sociology are a good mix of subjects and if you are unsure of what you would like to do, perhaps pick a starting point then start looking into job descriptions and ask yourself 'is it something you see yourself doing?'

If you are sure of what you would like to do career wise and sure of what you enjoy, take action towards focusing that goal. it is good to keep your options open but remember the whole system of GCSE, to A levels to University is to eventually help you narrow your choices and your options. Each milestone you are dropping subjects because after studying you know what you do like or don't like. This process is ultimately leading you up to study at university eventually finishing with a job of your choice.

You can also consider speaking to teachers about your options, I had a case where I was unsure of what I wanted, so I was able to do a taster between two options and see which I felt better in.

Hope this helps,
    Jay
    Hi I appreciate the advice and thank you, I think I'm coming to my final decision as I picking my subjects later today. I just want to ask whether you enjoyed art A level? and if you found it too much to handle. I love art and did it at GCSE, and I want to do one subject I really enjoyed as I am doing science subjects.

I am just so worried as I have heard art workload is very heavy. I want to get a good grade in all 3 subjects but I don't want to have to come to abandoning art and not get a good grade because I have to revise for biology and chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I found Art to be very hard going with a huge workload and short deadlines, it may prove to be a challenge to keep up with an A level that expects all of your focus to be on art subjects rather than a mix of art and sciences, especially when chemistry is so difficult as an A level on its own.

If you think you are good at time management, juggling huge amounts of course work and projects as well as essays and revision for bio and chem then it could work for you, but if not then maybe it's best to just focus on the science subjects (which will be relevant to each other, making revision easier) and just keep art as a hobby.

If you're still unsure, then you could ask someone at your sixth form/college later today and they could give you a more professional opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Oh! If your college offers Art at BTEC then that might be a better option, the workload is considerably less and most teachers recommend it if you're already doing hard A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Well I got a B in chemistry and an A in biology, but even though you got a C if you really enjoy and interested in biology then you should do to and if you are willing to work and is really determined then I think you should do it. Also it depends on if you what you want to do in the future and if you need biology and chemistry. Both chemistry and biology individually open a lot of options. It all comes down to whether you think personally you can do it and can take on the work load. I think you can do it If you put your mind to it and work really hard.
    Thanks
    Yes, the fact that it opens a lot of doors is one reason I want to do it plus doing chem on its own I felt wasn't worth it, besides I do enjoy bio too
    Thanks again
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi I appreciate the advice and thank you, I think I'm coming to my final decision as I picking my subjects later today. I just want to ask whether you enjoyed art A level? and if you found it too much to handle. I love art and did it at GCSE, and I want to do one subject I really enjoyed as I am doing science subjects.

I am just so worried as I have heard art workload is very heavy. I want to get a good grade in all 3 subjects but I don't want to have to come to abandoning art and not get a good grade because I have to revise for biology and chemistry.
    Hi KT,

I did enjoy my Art A level, despite how heavy the workload may sound, personally I found if you really enjoy it, keeping up with the work is definitely not a heavy issue especially if you'd enjoy it so much in GCSE, its a step up from GCSE in terms of the quality of work and more artists research but in my experience I found the extra free periods you get from making your choices easily makes up for it.

Its also a nice outlet for me, my choices were similar to yours science, maths based subjects so nice to dive away from all that. Remember there's a time for everything including relaxing so I used art as a form of relaxation too, doing heavy textbook subjects takes a toll and you'll find yourself mentally exhausted only using one side of your brain. For me doing art was a way of breaking off from that just to give myself cooling time too Hope this helps, and good luck with your studies!

Jay

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.