Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cv style Watch

• View Poll Results: What do you focus more on when writing your cv?
    Things I did
    50.00%
    Achievements
    50.00%

ReputationRep:
    On your cv, do you list out things you did or focus more on achievements?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Ybsy75)
    On your cv, do you list out things you did or focus more on achievements?
    It's a CV, not a certificate about your life. It is supposed to contain evidence that you have the skills to do the job you are applying for. Nothing more, nothing less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    It's a CV, not a certificate about your life. It is supposed to contain evidence that you have the skills to do the job you are applying for. Nothing more, nothing less.
    But some people say that achievements stand out more than simply listing out duties.

ReputationRep:
    I would also include achievements in addition to duties and responsibilities as they make your application more personal and unique to you. They can be brief like anything you spearheaded or contributions to a particular success or objective for the wider organisation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Ybsy75)
    But some people say that achievements stand out more than simply listing out duties.
    What does 'stand out' mean? And no, you don't list duties (a list of what the job requires) you give evidence of what you actually did.

The employer, when assessing applications, is sitting down with the list of skills/experience they are looking for (exactly the same list as is given in the job advert, except for the most basic jobs like retail where you are usually presumed to know the skills required) and is scoring them.

They aren't looking for 'stand out' in any way other than by scoring highly on evidence of relevant skills. No amount of impressive gold DofEs, life saving awards, walking up obscure mountains etc will compensate for lack of customer service skills, money handling, teamwork, good applied initiative etc. Neither will fancy use of colour and pretty fonts.

Sure, gaining those awards and achievements probably mean you have many relevant skills, but it is your task to present that evidence clearly in your application, not the employers job to infer, suppose or guess it from a list of 'stand out' achievements.

ReputationRep:
    I found it difficult to vote on this because it's hard to separate the two. I generally include both, maybe a little more of 'what I did'. So I write about my responsibilities and general tasks in a role, usually with one stand-out thing at the bottom which is an achievement.

e.g. - running a social action campaign, I list the things I did within this, then at the end I say the campaign was selected to speak at a conference to showcase its success.
    - support work, I list the responsibilities within this, then at the end mention that I received excellent formal feedback from those I supported.

I don't know if this is the right or wrong way to do it. I'm not having much job luck so perhaps not!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.